close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

MG 124 FMJ Load

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by CVO, May 2, 2012.

1. CVO

CVO

Dec 23, 2009
    Florida
    Looking for a starting load for my G19, I have 231, Power Pistol, Tight Group and Unique on hand.

2. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011

3. CVO

CVO

Dec 23, 2009
    Florida
    Speer shows a TMJ on page 854 in my book, but no FMJ. Hodgdon only shows one 124 FMJ with WSF.

4. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Jan 21, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I load 4.0gr of Titegroup behind a 124gr FMJ Montana Gold bullet at an OAL of 1.135" and crimped to 0.376". This load leaves the barrel of my Glock 17 at approximately 1,060 fps (at 5,100 feet above sea level). I would imagine that, if shot through a Glock 19, the bullet would chrono somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,000 fps (at this elevation).

This combination offers great accuracy and, even though I don't use the OEM recoil spring, I see no reason why it wouldn't work well with it. FYI, I prefer using a 13 lb recoil spring in the G17 simply because it produces a better recoil impulse.

5. SonnyCrockett

SonnyCrockett

Jul 9, 2010
    Miami
    5.2G of PP
    1.145OAL,my go to pet loads for 9MM.....

6. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    I would use the TMJ data for FMJ. The only difference is that the base of the TMJ bullet is covered with a gas check such that no lead is exposed.

True about the Hodgdon site. The Alliant site isn't much better because they like to concentrate on the Speer bullets (GDHP) since they are owned by the same company. I must say, I usually get better results at the Hodgdon site. I load the 115 gr FMJ in 9mm and there are a number of loads. True, they are spec'd for GDHP but I would use the data for FMJ.

For the 124 gr, I would use the data in the Speer manual, starting with the Start Charge and working up toward, but probably not reaching, the Maximum Charge. I don't tend to go to the max when I'm only trying to reach some power factor and punch holes in cardboard.

Around here, Unique is highly regarded. I have only used it a couple of times but it worked well.

Richard

7. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    All of those powders will make good 9mm 124 loads.

Power pistol is the loudest of them.
    Unique is the dirtiest.
    Tight Group is for bunny fart loads.
    231 tends to burn the sides of the case.

All of them will make accurate ammo.

8. CVO

CVO

Dec 23, 2009
    Florida
    I have a G34 that I would like to drop the spring down to 14 or lower, so I may give your load a try.

9. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Jan 21, 2004
    Denver, CO
    The load that I mentioned above has chrono'ed 1,100 out of my Glock 34 producing really good accuracy. You won't be disappointed!

10. CVO

CVO

Dec 23, 2009
    Florida
    I noticed this when I loaded some .45, so its normal?

11. grenadier

grenadier

May 4, 2000
    Alabama
    This is the load I used with Montana Gold RN 124 grain FMJ:

124 grain MG FMJ-RN bullet
    6.3 grains Alliant Power Pistol (6.6 grains max)
    Winchester standard small pistol primer
    COAL = 1.150"

This gives excellent accuracy in all of my Glocks, and has always given me excellent reliability. It also duplicates the feel of +P ammo.

12. dr_hefley

dr_hefley

Oct 17, 2008
    I'm running 4.3 grains of Unique with MG 124-gr FMJ's loaded to a COAL of 1.133-1.135. I chronoed these loads 2 weeks ago at an IDPA qualifier and they ran from 988-997 fps. Not quite enough to make power factor, but close enough that I'm not going to change my setup.

On a side not, that load was researched in my Lyman manual and a load book as well. They both showed 4.2 gr going 900 fps and 4.4 gr going 950. I split the difference and figured my loads would be around 925. It pays to have a chronograph, it's next on my list of stuff to buy.

Also, using my Lee press I get powder charge differences from 4.3-4.6 gr, so some of my rounds might be a little hotter but still within the safe range.

13. CVO

CVO

Dec 23, 2009
    Florida
    My Lyman 49th doesn't show a 124FMJ

14. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Jan 21, 2004
    Denver, CO
    There are many variables that will affect these results: temperature, elevation, length of barrel used; heck, even similar barrels will produce different velocities using the same load.

As you have said, it is best to chrono your own rounds to make certain you are getting the results you are seeking.

On a side note, if you are going to be using this load in IDPA or USPSA competitions (where a minimum Power Factor is required) you will want to bump up the charge a decimal of a grain or two.

It may be true that your current charge works the pistol's action but you are now aware that your pistol/load combination is not making the required PF. IDPA & USPSA both have minimum PF requirements. If you are playing the game and your load is not meeting this PF then you are cheating and I am certain this is not your intention.

15. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

May 22, 2002
    124 Montana Gold JHP or FMJ. 4.0 Titegroup. OAL 1.135. Federal primer. Mixed brass.

Out of a 5 inch barrel they chrono right around 1050 fps. Very accurate and mild recoiling.

16. Kentguy

Kentguy

Nov 22, 2010
    Kent, OH
    CVO,

I have tested almost the exact same load as grenadier has come up with;

Bullet - 124g RN FMJ (Montana Gold)
    Powder - Alliant - Power Pistol - 6.2g
    Powder range - 5.6g up to 6.4g(Speer load manual)
    Burn rate -#33 www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html
    Bullet length OAL - 1.150"
    Velocity - 1,129.4 fps
    Crimp - Light/medium (3/4 turn on the crimpdie).
    Test Gun - Glock 17 w/4.49" Barrel

Very nice round indeed.

17. dr_hefley

dr_hefley

Oct 17, 2008
    I think the Lyman may show a 125-g bullet, I'm not sure. I know I got some data from the load books and another published book, I thought it was my Lyman. I researched it heavily before I started to make sure I didn't mess up. I can check my numbers later, and I encourage others to check multiple sources before they believe something they read on the internet.

As far as power factor, I know it's not there. That's why I chronoed the loads. When I shoot IDPA or USPSA, I shoot factory ammo anyway for now. My reloads are just for practicing/plinking so I can get some trigger time. When I get more comfortable working up my loads, and buy a chronograph, I'll adjust the recipe to make power factor and start shooting them in competition.

I didn't shoot my reloads in the qualifier, I shot bulk Remington factory stuff. I just took the reloads to chrono and get some data.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  18. CVO

CVO

Dec 23, 2009
    Florida
    My Speer #14 on page 854 only shows a TMJ 124, Power Pistol 5.6 to 6.4 gr. So are you considering the FMJ and TMJ as the same?

19. CVO

CVO

Dec 23, 2009
    Florida
    I have also read serveral posts that say the MG 124 JHP is more accurate than the FMJ.

20. Kentguy

Kentguy

Nov 22, 2010
    Kent, OH
    CVO,

A TMJ bullet has the bottom of the bullet covered (a gas check if you will)thus no lead is exposed and the FMJ doesn’t. I have tested both bullets side by side and came up with virtually the same numbers. To answer your first question; yes in the Speer manual I am using the TMJ numbers for FMJ.

As for your second question, I have been told by the people at HornadyAmmunition that a JHP bullet will fly straighter than a RN FMJ bullet."They say" that it has to do with wind deflection off the cavity of the HP will cause it to stay on target more so than a round nose Jacketed bullet which "may" dip or dive. Now I have tried to do some testing on this but to be perfectly honest I have yet to come to a definite conclusion. I'll just have to offer to you what they have said to me.

The one thing that is for sure is that FMJ bullets are much cheaper than JHP(Especialy Hornady's), So unless I can come up with "beyond a doubt"proof for myself... I'll stick with FMJ bullets.

Last edited: May 3, 2012