close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Messing with hawks

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by hwyhobo, Mar 14, 2009.

1. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Jun 3, 2003
    Silicon Valley
    I know people enjoy falconry. I haven't seen anyone playing with hawks before, though. Is this common? The young red-tailed hawk in this picture (not a particularly good photo, but serves as illustration) will likely grow even bigger. I am not sure I would want a raptor this size anywhere close to my face. Anyone know more about this sport?

http://www.pbase.com/image/110204267/original

2. Fred

Fred Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Dec 17, 1998
    CA
    Wow, that's either a small girl, or a bigger 'juvenile' hawk than I imagined it would be. I know nothing of falconry, or playing with hawks; I just know that I think they are very majestic birds, and like to see pictures of them. :cool:

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    Those are on my list of animals to be left alone. :)

4. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Jun 3, 2003
    Silicon Valley
    The girl was @5'6", maybe a little taller. The bird was definitely to be respected.

5. We had a hawk land on our porch rail, had to snap it quickly through the window with a point & shoot. He would have been gone before I could drag out the DSLR.

[​IMG]

The look on his face was:

"I own this yard. Anything moving across it is MINE ! "

6. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Jun 3, 2003
    Silicon Valley
    Beautiful bird, pdogkilr. I take it you didn't try to play with it? ;)

7. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    I have spotted a red-tailed hawk sitting on the same power line, in almost the exact same spot, several times. I would love to catch him there when I had my camera as I could get pretty close on him.

8. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

Dec 26, 2004
    Novi, Michigan
    Redtail Hawks are pretty and graceful looking. But sorry I don't value them over pheasants or rabbits. Problem is these raptors decimate the rabbits and pheasants. It's illegal but I wouldn't mind shooting them(gun, not camera). All in the mind of the beholder.

The girl with a hawk, I see as a good photo.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009