close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

memory upgrade question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Dyno, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Dyno

Dyno

Oct 11, 2002
    Ga
    I would like to add memory to a new HP pavilion a720n that came with 512 mb pc2700 ddr sdram according to mfg specs on box. I am confused about ordering more memory after finding that ddr ram comes more than one way for example registered & unbuffered .I would like to add another 512 mb, looks like mobo has another slot open.

Could someone help me sort out what I need to buy and recommend a good source?

Thanks,Dyno

2. Dyno

Dyno

Oct 11, 2002
    Ga
    Washington,D.C.,
    Thanks for your replay,being a noob at all information and help is greatly appreciated.

Dyno

3. I prefer Crucial it's good quality.I put the Kingston link for further info but I'd rather use Crucial than Kingston.

4. Dyno

Dyno

Oct 11, 2002
    Ga
    Washington,D.C. , AAshooter

I really appreciate all the help gang , I’ve never ordered any parts before and getting personal recommendations makes me feel a lot better. I must admit to being a little confused with memory terms and many different brands and wide spread on prices.

Special thanks for helping a noob
    Dyno

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Mar 28, 2001
    SW Oregon
    IIRC, that PC comes with an AMD Athlon 3200+ CPU in it.

The first thing I would do is lose that PC2700 and grab a Matched Set of PC3200 Corsair or OCZ DDR. These come in twin packs that have been tested in a dual channel MOBO to insure they work properly together.

Avoid RAM that has timings of 3-x-x-x, though...you want CL 2 or CL 2.5 DDR as it is faster.

Even if the motherboard doesn't support dual-channel or a 400MHz FSB, you will see a pretty good performance boost from using matched RAM at a faster speed.

I'm lucky in that I can sell used parts quickly and for a good price; however, you should be able to get some decent cash from a local shop once they verify that it is good. You'll likely get an even better deal if you buy the new RAM from them!

6. Dyno

Dyno

Oct 11, 2002
    Ga
    >that PC comes with an AMD Athlon 3200+ CPU in it.<

fastvfr ,
    I think it is a Athlon XP 3200 cpu

Best,Dyno

7. Goober35

Goober35 1911 member.

Nov 29, 2004
    Texas