close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Member Post Counts Visible In Threads

Discussion in 'GT Voting Booth' started by Eric, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Moderator

Jan 1, 1970
    Should members' post counts be visible under their names, when you view message threads? There are a couple of reasons why I think they shouldn't: Firstly, I think that when post count is visible, people put too much stock in it and it caused quite a bit of trouble when it was visible, in the past. Secondly, I will be adding the paid tier icons in that area this week and when I do, it is going to make that area take up a bit more space. Having the post count line gone would offset this somewhat. This will only be an issue on really short messages, where the user content on the left may be taller than the message content on the right, causing some dead space under the message.

The post count display in message threads has been turned off for years and no one seemed to miss it. When that feature came online, when I switched to vBulletin, it caused a lot of trouble. People were posting dozens of spam messages to pad their count and other foolishment was being caused by people attaching way too much importance to a simple statistic. I must admit though that since the upgrade, when the post count feature came back online, it doesn't seem to have caused any trouble. At this point, I am ambivalent on this subject. What does everyone think? Please feel free to post your comments on this issue here, in addition to voting. Eric

2. SeriousStudent

SeriousStudent

Dec 15, 2004
    D/FW
    It doesn't really bother me either way. I would lean towards whatever is more efficient for the servers.

I have read posts from people with a low count that were brilliant, and posts from "founding members" that had me scratching my head. And vice versa. I consider the source, not their post count.

Have a good weekend, Eric.

3. heyTJ

heyTJ Giddy up!

Dec 14, 2001
    475' above sea level
    I'll take the Mitt Romney approach, yes and no.

I do agree about taking stock in your total post count and spamming.

So get rid of it.

If you really care that much about someones post count just view their profile.

TJ

4. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Feb 15, 2006
    Las Vegas
    I like the option of having the count visible.

If folks don't want it, they should be able to turn it off in their profile.

I know Eric could do that easily.

5. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Jun 14, 2005
    Tulsa
    downside variable but occasionally annoying as heck.

if i had a site with a similar number of users i'd default to KISS and take it off and discuss it no further. next issue.

can i wish for more archives than we have, in ANY format, in ANY fashion, chasing back into the dawn of history? specifically S&P which HURTS that's gone, and even a pay by megabit download of a text file would be amazingly juicy and wonderful and so happily received. tyvm for reading my wish list, santa, ;) ..

6. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Moderator

Jan 1, 1970
    I am guessing that you didn't read the 'The Purpose of This Forum' message, before participating.:supergrin: Please keep this on-topic. You are always welcome to PM suggestions to me. Eric

7. Sucka

Sucka

Dec 8, 2007
    Colorado
    As i've always said on other forums:

YOU ARE NOT YOUR POST COUNT.

8. Lee-online

Lee-online Mul-ti-pass

Mar 13, 2006
    Susquehanna Valley, PA
    I don't think post counts contribute anything to the forum. It doesn't show if a member is experienced, it just shows they post alot.
    I say leave them off.

9. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    I say leave the post count on the Profile page.

:supergrin:

10. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

Mar 6, 2005
    Raccoon City
    IMHO, post content is more important than post count

11. I'm for quality over quantity. I really like not seeing those post counts on this forum!!

12. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Jul 13, 2003
    Canada
  13. Cclass

Cclass CLM

Jan 31, 2004
    PA
    I prefer seeing the post count. It doesn't really bother me that it's gone, but I voted to keep it.

14. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

May 18, 2004
    On the way to crazy
    I prefer to NOT see it. Contrary to some beliefs, I don't check mine, EVER, and it makes me feel self conscious when people can see it. I already KNOW I post frequently,thank you verramush.:)

15. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    Will the "Blog Entries" also go to the profile page?

16. d3athp3nguin

d3athp3nguin

Aug 7, 2007
    I vote to keep it off. It's like those forums or profile sites that award "exp" points for doing silly things like leaving comments and giving fake gifts. All it does is encourage people to post for posting's sake.

And like others have said, the less undue traffic on your servers, the better.

17. Gabrielle

Gabrielle Millennium Member

Apr 28, 1999
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    The only time I have interest in post count is in the classified forums along with the seller's date of registration.

18. Sucka

Sucka

Dec 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Good point.

Why don't we use a feedback system similar to say Heatware. I've been using it for several years on computer forums, and i'm sure something similar must exist for firearms/accessories listings? Just a thought.

19. da chef

da chef glock convert

Sep 25, 2001
    The "Free" State
    i voted yes as i prefer to see the stat but i also believe there's no need for it. unfortunately all it takes is a minority of abusers to mess up a nice feature.

20. ax157

ax157 Libertarian

Oct 14, 2003
    I'm sorta where you are.

I go by quality and content of the post over post count. As does almost everyone else on this forum I would suspect.

But I still like casually seeing the post counts of various users.