close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Melted mag follower...frustrated

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by sprayswithaks, Jan 17, 2012.

1. sprayswithaks

sprayswithaks

Apr 20, 2011
    It's all my fault, i was being an idiot:steamed:

I completely disassembled my rem 870 and proceeded to spray everything down with brake cleaner...except i forgot to remove the follower. So now i have a half melted follower and a mag tube with the inside covered in now hardened plastic chunks...

Anyone know where i can get a new follower? Also how would one remove the crap from inside the mag tube? Finish it off with brake cleaner until it all melts away?

I hate cheap plastic garbage....

2. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    Probably clean with bore brush of same gauge. Check Brownell's for replacement. :supergrin:

3. sprayswithaks

sprayswithaks

Apr 20, 2011
    It's a 12 gauge, i used my 12 gauge bore brush but the mag tube it bigger, the brush doesnt contact the sides

4. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    Punch it out with a wooden dowel. The wrap that dowel with steel wool and put it in a drill and polish out the mag tube. You can see this rod on www.aiptactical.com on the red link "Install and Cleaning"

I use Cyclo Parts and Break Cleaner by the case and have never damaged any part. Not sure what you may have used to melt a follower but want to know what brand.

5. sprayswithaks

sprayswithaks

Apr 20, 2011
    Thanks, i'll give that a shot. It was napa brake parts cleaner in a blue can.

6. old fashioned way is to take a 12 guage brush and wrap it with copper choire boy scrubbing pad. Another way is to put a patch on an old brush and use that.

7. Rob72

Rob72

Jan 25, 2005
    OKC, OK
    Get a stainless or aluminum follower. At the least, get the Wilson/SGT "limey" (big green synthetic). Remington factory followers are prone to splitting, dissolving, and general failure.