close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Melonite..

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Cerebrus, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Guest

Does anyone have any idea who does this type of finish work?

2. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio

3. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Guest

Thanks man.. I am finding out that Parkerizing just does not suit my needs.. that and I really do not particularly like the way it looks.. and if Melonite is any thing as good as Dave says it is..

4. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
  5. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Guest

Drake's site looks great.. and reasonable as well.. thinking of going with the browning front cut to get rid of the fcs.. that way I wont need a carry bevel done.

6. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

Mar 21, 1999

I never thought of that before!! That's a great way to eliminate the FCS as well as make the gun more aesthetically pleasing as well!!

http://www.ctbrian.com/ShotOne2458.html

7. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    Drake does good work...there was a Colt that i was close to buying and it even had a flat trigger. a fellow on another forum has an EMP that Drake is working one. when i contacted him last year, he wasn't setup yet for the smaller EMP.

8. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Guest

I am wondering if I could talk him into 15 lpi checkering on the front strap...

9. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    Cuyahoga Falls. the Colt is at Pro Armament.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  10. drc767

drc767 Navy CSAR

Dec 30, 2007
    Tennessee
    Last I had heard, Drake was not doing Melonite projects anymore. Also....DO NOT even consider sending a pistol to Coal Creek Armory!!!! They send it out to have it done, but I wouldn't let those hacks touch a water pistol of mine....they absolutely destroyed a P7M8 I had taken to them to have Melonited a couple years ago. They reassembled with the gas pistol upside down and the slide would bind when it was racked (It took them 12 weeks to do it, and I was quoted 4 weeks).....I called them up to complain and the guy hung up the phone on me, but not before I heard him say "*******k you" before the phone hung up. I got in my truck and drove 2 1/2 hours to Knoxville to tell the dude he could say that to my face if he thought he was such a tough guy (he suddenly lost his baddass attitude). They were very sarcastic about fixing the pistol and assembling it the correct way......That place will never see another pistol of mine.....EVER!!!
    As far as Melonite goes, it is a great finish for a carry pistol. It is not the sexiest finish in the world, but it sure is tough as hell and takes the daily abuses of carry very easily. It is my preferred finish for a carry pistol.....the only problem is finding someone to do it.

11. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    yep, he wasn't doing it, but he can probably lead them to someone who does.
    no experience with Coal Creek.

these are from Drake.

[​IMG]

before:
    [​IMG]

after:
    [​IMG]

12. drc767

drc767 Navy CSAR

Dec 30, 2007
    Tennessee
    Those a slick!!! Drake used to doesa hell of a job on the Melonite. To bad he does not it anymore.

13. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Guest

On Drake's website he says that he does not do the melonite unless he has worked on the gun.. so this kinda kills 2 birds with one stone for me.. as I was considering sending it off to Clarks custom for his radical meltdown treatment.. but if Drake can shave off the fcs with the browning cut.. and if I can talk him into 15 lpi checkering on the front strap, then I do not see a problem with him doing the melonite on the pistol.

14. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX

15. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
  16. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio

17. asiparks

asiparks

Sep 17, 2006
    Portland. OR
    Drake did my CBOB, flush cut and recrowned the barrel and did the slide stop mod. as well as a few tidy up bits, can't say enough about how impressed i was with his professionalism and work....
    before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

18. asiparks

asiparks

Sep 17, 2006
    Portland. OR

19. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    :agree:

Its not the prettiest finish, but its tough and durable. :)