Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Medical Disqualification

Discussion in 'The US Air Force Forum' started by Codename46, May 17, 2008.

1. Welcome the wonderful world of the AMA and the Government Service medical systems, the two may never agree.

Silence is golden but a good background check might pull this info up. You would probably get the boot at worst.

Best wishes. ;)

Go figure.

The doctors, at the Government service intake facility, missed my obvious disqualifying medical condition, a birth defect and deformity of my right hip. And 25 years later says it wasn't their fault I am crippled now.

:rant: :steamed: :dunno:

2. Codename46

Mar 9, 2008
  3. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Well, us enlisted types would just love to find out you think that much of us.

Why would they DQ anyone who has allergies. EVERYONE gets allergies to something. I generally don't have any, but lowcrawling through waist high grass in Germany for days on end we (a whole squad) had them bad enough several guys got pills from the doc. Oh well. Do the mission and get it over with.
  4. Codename46

Mar 9, 2008
    I've read that the health standards (as far as allergies and stuff go) in the AF are a bit more strict than the other branches. And yes I have read about people getting DQ'ed for allergies and childhood eczema.
  5. RickD6023

Jan 13, 2008
    Victorville, CA
    I too made the mistake back in 1968 during my AFROTC application physical to say that I had psoriasis that was mostly healed which disqualified me. The next year I reapplied but this time I had a physician note which said that I had a "non-specific papular eruption which was healed" and I was accepted.

Once you are in the door and they spend money you can have just about anything. Pilot training required 20/20 vision. Once you were a graduated pilot your eyes were allowed to be worse.
  6. RF7126

Sep 19, 2003
    Western Florida
    To answer your question about making up your contract if DQed:
    I was in ROTC, and on contract. To make a long story short, I lost motivation and stopped working out. I failed the PT test and was kicked out. They had paid for two semesters of college by that point. I was given the option of serving two years (I think, but it was shorter than 4 regardless) as enlisted from right then and there, or I could completely be discharged and owe them that money + any interest.

I'm currently looking at going enlisted by choice after nearly 4 years spent to "find myself", but at the time I didn't know what I wanted to do so I'm paying them back. I got deferments for college, but now I pay DFAS every month until I actually sign the line again.

Truthfully, I have no idea how this relates to a medical DQ. The impression I got at the time was that as long as you have been 100% honest up to this point, it's considered something out of your control and you're not penalized for it. But I could easily be wrong; you should ask the cadre about it if possible. For what it's worth, we had excellent NCOs in our unit, and I always went to them with an admin question like this .