close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Media needs to quit showing the idiot!

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Pythonman, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Pythonman

Pythonman

Jul 30, 2004
  2. RHVEtte

RHVEtte

Nov 20, 2007

3. W420Hunter

W420Hunter

Jun 25, 2007
    Ohio
    If I had to guess I think he means the way the Media is making an icon out of this killer bye plastering his face all over the networks.

4. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Dec 18, 2010
    DisneyWorld
    We're also advertising to the whole world that the easiest targets for Anti-American to attack are our schools. They are not guarded.

Have you thought of it that way?

5. Pythonman

Pythonman

Jul 30, 2004
    This is exactly what I meant. At least to the other future would be mental case/killers I think the thought of doing something so horrific so that they end up on TV is motivation enough to start planning for it. Why else all the copycats? My own preference would be for the orange haired freak that shot up the movie theater to get the public hanging, firing squad or electrocution as a deterrent for these sick cowards!

That's what's missing in the media, a deterrent that a would-be mass murderer would understand. Instead the media glorifies the sick individuals by mentioning their names and showing their pictures repeatedly. And the media KNOWs its a self serving policy on their own part to keep these powerful tragic stories in the news by fanning the flames but they never get called out for it.

6. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

Apr 2, 2012
    USA
    I agree with you. Just going to become another page in the psycho mass murderer handbook. Hey maybe even some Taliban is planning something just like it.

7. GunHo198

GunHo198

Oct 7, 2004
    Tampa
  8. GAFinch

GAFinch

Feb 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Wiping away the crocodile tear after a series of carefully planned pauses? Me too.

I agree with not showing the killer.

9. evlbruce

evlbruce

Nov 3, 2003
    Yep, we're punishing monsters by doing exactly what they want... we give them attention and whipping ourselves into a state of fear.

Rome had the right idea; erase the miscreant from history.

10. Pythonman

Pythonman

Jul 30, 2004
    Well, I can understand the confusion!

11. Gundude

Gundude

Mar 7, 2003
    "We" is the correct term here. "The media" is just a collection of businesses providing the product that will make them the most money.

I personally still don't know what the shooter looked like. To some, the fact that I don't care about this person or his backstory makes me apathetic.

Where's the "correct" middle ground? Do the people who are intensely interested in this guy and his background need to pretend they're not, so that the media doesn't provide them with what they secretly want?

12. Glock30Eric

Glock30Eric .45 ACP

Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Maryland
    Honest I have to applaud Obama that he learned a hard lesson: he gave a union of speech on Thur Night or Sunday night. No one really watched him but watched the football game. This time Obama did it differently and it was a successful. It is a slight taste of the bigger thing which it is coming soon.

13. madbaumer

madbaumer

Mar 17, 2007
    Cental Florida
    Yes and more to the point this one...

BESLAN

14. GunHo198

GunHo198

Oct 7, 2004
    Tampa
    According to Nancy Grace tonight, the shooter was addicted to a Video Game called Dance Dance Revolution. I think they need to do something about all these violent video games!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire