close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Mechanic's hell; changing intake manifold and carb on Ford Van.

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by vart, Jun 8, 2007.

1. vart

vart

Feb 17, 2000
    The Palouse
    My `87 Ford Super Wagon 4x4 has a rebuilt 460 w/ a Holley carb on it. While diagnosing a miss, I found that the intake manifold gaskets were leaking, and that the carb was shot.

I bought a new Weind Stealth intake and Edelbrock Performer 750 electric choke carb for it.

I asked my mechanic what he would charge to do the job, and he said $500.

Since I've swapped at least a dozen intakes on vehicles over the years, I figured I would just do it myself...

$500 may not have been a bad deal:upeyes:

Really, it's not too bad so far.

I've got everything off of the manifold and I just need to actually remove the intake.

I had to take a break to replace my gloves that ripped and take a breather.

Since the van is from California, and the intake is non-EGR, I have lots of vacuum lines to throw away and some figuring on how to make everything work.

2. vart

vart

Feb 17, 2000
    The Palouse
    I'd be done by now if the parts store wasn't a 40-mile round trip:upeyes: .

I have to run back in tomorrow to get a replacement T-Stat housing I broke.:sad:

3. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Real men don't need no stink'in gloves to work on a cold engine,but that's just my opinion:pjmn:

4. bubbatime

bubbatime Jive Turkey!!

Oct 16, 2004
    FL
    I put a weiand stealth and an edelbrock performer 750 carb on my old F250 with a 460 and it ran like a raped ape afterwards... that intake sure is tall... are you sure it will fit???

5. 1 old 0311

1 old 0311

Jan 2, 2006
    Planet Earth
    Don't forget to change the oil BEFORE you start it. Don't want the old antifreeze to wash out the bearings.:thumbsup:

6. vart

vart

Feb 17, 2000
    The Palouse
    The intake fit, but almost no room for an air cleaner... I've got about 5 inches of room between the carb and the top of the engine compartment. That means a stud 2.5" tall and an air cleaner 2.5" tall.

I did manage to drop the oil pump drive into the motor, so I'm off to town today to buy a magnet:upeyes: