close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Mech-Tech Uppers

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by chipinsc, Jun 20, 2012.

1. chipinsc

chipinsc

Mar 23, 2012
    I hope this is the right place to post this ...did the search thing found nothing on it so...what are thoughts on this? Has anyone had any hands on with one ?
    http://mechtechsys.com/glock.php

2. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Wierd stuff. I prefer my Glock G17 in its original condition.

3. Bello

Bello America/Italia

Sep 24, 2008
    East Coast
  4. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Jun 20, 2010
    Texas
    Pistol Caliber Carbine

For the OP, here is a relatively recent thread in The 10 Ring Forum at Glock Talk that will interest you: Got the Mech Tech

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  5. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Thanks - good acronym.

6. TeeJay37

TeeJay37

Jun 4, 2012
    Wouldn't this still have to be a SBS, since it started as a pistol?

7. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Jan 26, 2012
    Kettering, OH
    No, not a SBR because the barrel and overall length are within lawful limits.

The Roni systems (except the newest) are all SBR.

8. TeeJay37

TeeJay37

Jun 4, 2012
    So, for example, you could take a Ruger 10/22 Charger and throw a 16"+ barrel on it and a stock and not have to register it? I thought I had seen that doing such mods require registration.

9. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Jan 26, 2012
    Kettering, OH
    I think it all depends what is considered the "gun" in respects to manufacturing. But from what I have seen mentioned online, yes you could.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464660

My concern would be on a Ruger the action/receiver is considered the gun and that is what is registered under the ATF for manufacturing. On a Glock the lower frame is the gun (FFL needed). I may have worded this "not quite right" but I hope you see what I am trying to say.

Disclaimer: I am not proficient in (or even want to pretend to know) ATF manufacturing rules so if this is something you truly wanted to do, then either call the ATF or have a lawyer handle it for you In the end I think its cheaper to just buy the 10/22 anyways (you obviously already know that) :supergrin:

10. TeeJay37

TeeJay37

Jun 4, 2012
    Okay, I just wanted to get it straight. I have no plans to do this(especially converting a gun to a cheaper gun for more money, lol).

11. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Jan 26, 2012
    Kettering, OH
    The Supreme Court had a ruling on a similar case with the Thompson/Center Contender, but I cannot say if the ruling would carry over to the Charger.

http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/tc.html

12. Kyle M.

Kyle M.

May 14, 2012
    Bucyrus OH
    The mech tech upper does not require any registering. Now if you putva stock on your 4.5" barreled glock you would be creating an sbr.

13. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    I looked into these, and feather, etc. Then I found out LWD is going to make full AR's, and they even had an integrally supressed 9mm as a prototype. They had .45ACP, a .40, and a 10mm all taking Glock magazines. I am waiting patiently for an AR from them to be fully released this year. I want the 10mm. Slap an Aredondo on that magazine and have a 20 round 10mm gas operated AR Glock carbine.

14. VLeeW

VLeeW

Nov 25, 2012
    Visalia, CA