close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mech Tech CCU questions

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by os2chinchilla, Feb 7, 2012.

1. os2chinchilla

os2chinchilla

I was thinking about using a dedicated frame with the Mech Tech CCU, but was wondering a couple of things:

1. Do I need to re-register the weapon as a rifle if I add the basic glock ccu to a dedicated frame? What about if I add a stock? Front grip? I'm in Washington state if that matters...

2. Who makes the best frame: Glockmeister, Lone Wolf, or Glock (used)?

3. Any advantages of using a g17 frame over a g19 frame?

4. Any opinions?

2. os2chinchilla

os2chinchilla

3. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

1. Do I need to re-register the weapon as a rifle if I add the basic glock ccu to a dedicated frame? While the Glock frame is attached to the CCU it is a dedicated frame. You can not, nor would you want to permanently attach the frame to the CCU. It must be able to dissassemble for cleaning and lube. Why try to re-register the serial number to a rifle? If you did then you could never switch it back to a pistol. Attach the pistol frame and enjoy a great shooting carbine. I'm in Washington state if that matters...
    WA is not an issue. What about if I add a stock? Front grip? For stability and shooting comfort I wanted the 6 position M4 stock- an adjustable stock on mine. If you want a CCU to spray 9 Mickey Mouse down range with no intention of actually hitting anything; then save a few buck and omit the stock. I have a front grip on my AR, I just havent found the spare Knight Armament grip in my gun parts boxes to attach to the CCU. I'll attach it to the sling rail. You may prefer the long or short quad rail to mount a forward grip.

2. Who makes the best frame: Glockmeister, Lone Wolf, or Glock (used)? Personal preference. I have a Glock 17 on my 40 caliber CCU. I already had the Glock pistol so it was a no brainer. I can always change it later if I have an overwhealming desire to do so.

3. Any advantages of using a g17 frame over a g19 frame? Grip size. I much prefer the larger 17 grip over the shorter 19 grip frame. They are not interchangable, you must order the CCU for the 19/23, 17/22 or 20/21.

4. Any opinions? My Glock CCU in 40 cal is a great recreational firearm. Recoil is super low so youth and ladies can easily shoot this carbine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  4. Mongosafari

Hmm, nothing? Sorry I went to the trouble to try and respond to your questions.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  5. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

Man I think I Know what Im gonna use my Tax Return money for now LOL think I will get me one of those set ups nothing to fancy just the basic set up with baisc sights for now and then later maybe get a red dot for it.... with the M4 style buttstock..

6. os2chinchilla

os2chinchilla

Ah, sorry! I lost track of this post since I though it died. Thanks for replying though, it helped me decide on the basic ccu for the 19 :b

7. Mongosafari

:wavey: Welcome to the club.

8. os2chinchilla

os2chinchilla

9. Mongosafari

You know the rules; we will need pictures once you get them!!!!

10. os2chinchilla

os2chinchilla

I got the ccu and the glock lower is inbound... luckily, I found a new original glock lower on gunbroker.

By the way, is the top a rail and what kind is it? (This may sound like a newbie question, because I am one :p)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  11. Mongosafari

The highlighted red area on your illustration shows the standard mount (uses Weaver rings). It is short; best suited for an optic.

You will need some way to aim this thing. I can do fairly well with instinctive shooting but I am no Jedi Master...give me sights and I can control a large section of real estate.

I ordered the monorail; long picatinny rail. There, I could attach folding sights to each end and shoot with open iron sights and/or attach an optic.

For now I only have the red dot sight installed. In the future I may install an A3 M16 detachable carry handle and get a detachable or folding front sight for iron sights....you can evolve the CCU into whatever your heart desires (within the laws).

Did you get a buttstock? Or are you going to shoot a pistol with 16 barrel? I guess you can always add the buttstock later(?) better ask the Mech Tech representative.

12. Mongosafari

I was out for a few rounds yesterday. Also wanted to try a different bullet.
    [​IMG]
    Before: The stand has a notch which allows for quick target change.
    After:
    [​IMG]

This was not bench rest kind of shooting; I walked out to 100 yards and shot standing and kneeling. Then the same from 75, 50 and 25 yards. (small target was handgun at 25 yards)
    I didn't know if the Federal 125 gr Frangible would have enough recoil to operate the Mech Tech- sure it did and it was quiet and super soft recoil (my kids are going to love it).

13. Dogman 10x

Dogman 10x

If I wanted the shortest possible carbine - is the HK stock the best choice?

14. Mongosafari

Look at the website http://mechtechsys.com/accessories.php#a2

I'd say the Telestock is the shortest possible stock. IMHO it would not lend a good cheek-weld. It depends on it's purpose.

I have the M4 collapsible short stock; 1.25" shorter tham the standard M4 collapsible stock. I'm 6' tall and find shooting with the stock completely collapsed is more comfortable and controllable than any clicks open.

15. BP44

BP44

I highly recommend the mech techs for folks on a budget or someone who does not want to fork over $1200 for a 9mm carbine. I like the 19/23/32 size frame conversion as you have the ability to run more mags "15/17 rounders" through the lower. I think there is a guy over on the highroad that is selling factory glock lowers for under $200 and the cost of a CCU upper Is generally $350-500. Not bad for a pistol cal carbine that uses glock mags

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  16. os2chinchilla

os2chinchilla

I finally got around to putting this together with the scope and may have time to shoot it today :p Really excited!

On a side note, what's the best way to take the glock lower from the mech tech? If I try to push down the slide release lever on one site, it goes up on the other side...

[​IMG]

17. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Just guessing as I don't have one, but grab underneath and pull the slide lock tabs down at the same time? How did you field strip your Glock?

Pretty nice looking. Is the stock fixed or just compressed all the way in?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  18. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

I thought about getting one of those conversions, but have sinced changed my mind . I think I will be getting the KelTec sub 2000 only $300 for it and it accepts Glock mags...

19. os2chinchilla

os2chinchilla

I went for a dedicated lower, so I don't have a full glock. The lock tabs are really hard to push down at the same time, I feel like I'm going to break them, is that normal?

Mine doesn't have a stock yet, so it's still technically a pistol... but if I were to add a stock, any suggestions?

20. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

did you dry fire it first? MAKE SURE IT IS UNLOADED. again MAKE SURE IT IS UNLOADED AND POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION.

Dry fire it, and then try to pull the release tabs down. Have you checked the manual? I tried reading it online but have to turn my head sideways to see the pages. Perhaps the bolt has to be open before removing the lower. Check the manual to be sure.