Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Maximum registry size too small

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by silentpoet, Oct 11, 2008.

1. silentpoet

Jan 11, 2007
    This Old Caddy
    My desktop is running windows 2000, not sure which service pack or version and I am getting a message upon startup that my maximum registry size is too small and that I need to increase it.
  2. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

I haven’t seen W2K in a while, but I seem to recall that you could change the settings under the Virtual memory section, go to the Control Panel - System icon (?) - Performance tab - Virtual Memory.

3. grokdesigns

Dec 23, 2004
    Chandler, AZ
    Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Performance Options -> Change

Increase the maximum registry size and click Ok.
  4. silentpoet

Jan 11, 2007
    This Old Caddy
    You guys do indeed rock.
  5. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

May 7, 2000
    Carlisle, PA
  6. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

Mar 6, 2005
    Raccoon City
    That changes the page file size, not the registry.

I lost our production web server at work due to this issue a few years ago. Run the cccleaner that was posted earlier and google registry compact (or compress, OI can't remember). I found a program that compresses the registry that resolved the issue.

If your registry hits the maximum size, yout machine will fail at next reboot.

I opened a support ticket with microsoft for $250, and their answer was rebuild, which was not an option.

Good luck!
  7. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Yes you are right BUT on W2K there is also an option to change the registry size as well.