close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Maverick wont lock up - Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by why, Jul 16, 2010.

1. why

why

Oct 24, 2008
    Subject: one well used Mossberg Maverick 88 12G shotgun that actually shoots quite well

Disclaimer: Before I get slammed for having an el cheapo SG, let me state that it was given to me and I have an 870 for serious fun.

The problem: The Maverick functions perfectly except that when you cycle the action, the foregrip wont lock in the forward position. I have disassembled it, cleaned everything meticuously, examined for proper function while disassembled, lubed well, then put it back together only to find the same problem as before. If anyone has any ideas what is going on and/or a possible fix, I'd be eternally grateful.

2. gnasty1521

gnasty1521

Feb 15, 2010
    DFW, TX
    Possibly the slide release is in a "locked" position inside the housing.

3. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Middle Tennessee

That could be it... Hope you get it worked out... Love my Maverick!

4. gnasty1521

gnasty1521

Feb 15, 2010
    DFW, TX
    The only thing it could be really. Love mine too:

[​IMG]

I would call Mossberg tech support, but these guns are so simple, it is damn near the only thing which operates it.

5. 2afreedom

2afreedom

May 6, 2007
    The South
    You have to have put something back together wrong. Take it apart and double check everything. If you need a video on reassembly I'm sure there's one on youtube. Also, don't apologize for owning a Maverick. On top of being inexpensive they are also dependable-nothing wrong with that.

6. TexasNativeDRJH

TexasNativeDRJH 5th Generation

Apr 21, 2008
    San Jacinto Battleground
    Field strip it and see if the center of the bolt flips up and down freely. It could be full of crud and not engaging the square cutout in the barrel extension. That's all I got, hope you get it figured out

7. why

why

Oct 24, 2008
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement guys! I'll dig into it again this weekend with special emphasis on those things. Will let you know how it goes.