Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Mas Ayoob: Traffic Stop

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by ADK_40GLKr, Jun 5, 2011.

1. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

Nov 14, 2010
    RFD NY Adks
  2. NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    Goood enough for me.

He really did not get into states that do not require to inform, or did I miss it?

3. Yes you missed was one of the first things they talked about. I still disagree about Texas having to show though.
  4. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011
    I thought it was:

"Back off, Barney!! I'm packin'!!!"

5. What's to disagree with? Have you read the statutes? It's illegal. There just isn't any penalty for disobeying that particular law. That's not to say that the officer who stops you won't decide against letting you off with a warning for a taillight out or some minor infraction should you decide not to show a little courtesy and inform him/her that you're carrying a firearm.
  6. ranburr1

Apr 19, 2005
    I don't really have an issue with having to notify an officer that I am a CHL holder and that I am carrying. It has actually gotten me out of a number of tickets. But, I do find it strange that if I were carrying under the travel law without a CHL, there is no requirement to inform the police that you are armed.
  7. Ta Da! I have an out of state permit. Why should I have to show when before I had the CHL it was legal to carry in my vehicle...and not have to declare it?
  8. Wait a minute...apply common sense? The lawyers are going to have a field day w/that one!
  9. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    I'm always interested when people make the statement in bold, as to how you know the CHL was the reason you got out of the tickets.
  10. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001

I've wondered the same thing Russ. :dunno:
  11. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Sep 11, 2005
    Four Corners
    This has been discussed quite a bit. The notion that having a concealed carry permit is like being a certified good guy. Of course that's rubbish, but it probably doesn't hurt. Since I've had my CCP I have been stopped while driving three times. No tickets. Coincidence? Probably, although on one of those occasions I spent about 15 minutes talking guns with the officer.

As for how to conduct yourself when pulled over I would only add one thing to the posted video. I keep both hands on the wheel, in clear sight until asked for my license, registration and proof of insurance. I offer up my carry permit at that time as well, but they usually already know. In Utah it comes up when they run your plates that you have the carry permit.
  12. blackjack

Jan 22, 2000
    Sand Springs OK
    Personally, it was because the officer very specifically said so in no uncertain terms. OK is a "must notify" state if armed during a traffic/official contact and I followed the protocol. When he returned from running my info, he confirmed I was armed and told me he was going to let me go on the speeding ticket I had coming because he wanted to encourage more licensees to actually carry the firearm. He further commented that, too often, he found licensees to be unarmed and thought that was silly. I heartily agreed with his logic and went on about my day.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  13. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Aug 20, 2002
    The "officer " was not wearing his hat.
  14. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

Nov 14, 2010
    RFD NY Adks
    AZ, TX, MI were mentioned, but I think as examples of "must notify" states. They aren't the ONLY ones, are they?

I think the purpose of the video was to give us an idea how to proceed if we're in a "must notify" state, we simply don't want the officer to be suprised by our concealed weapon, OR we're not sure about the laws of the state we're passing through. (as long as it's NOT NY, NJ, IL or MD).

I've never had a policeman ask me to get out of a car, but if for any reason, one ever did, I'd want him to know about my gun beforehand, regardless of a "must notify" law.

It makes sense, though, we should always be aware of the gun laws in our own state, and any we might plan to pass through or visit, especially regarding how and where to carry, possess, or lock in the trunk or out-of-reach lockbox, and whether loaded.

The following section of gives pretty specific information about carrying, transporting, and notifying in each state. This would be a good URL to bookmark if you ever plan to leave your state with your gun.
  15. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

Nov 18, 2003
    That is not the only "strange" thing about Texas laws. You'll have to ask your legislator why it's the way it is.

You should see the laws I have to deal with on a daily basis...
  16. xtreme99

xtreme99 What's a Glock?

Mar 23, 2006
    Mesa, AZ
    Since when is Arizona a "must inform" state? Am I missing something here?
  17. NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    Good points all.........thanks
  18. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    Missouri is not a Must Notify, but both times I've been stopped, just a warning. Seems like I always got a ticket before getting a CCW. The first time, the young 20's deputy actually thanked me twice for informing him. I thanked him for not proning me out in front of my friends. Nice guy. :patriot:

We all just wanna get home safe.
  19. I like that one. :rofl: