Glock Talk banner

Mas Ayoob G21 vs G30

14K views 31 replies 6 participants last post by  firemedic1343 
#1 ·
I know we've discussed this before. But I have a more pointed question.

In your experience has this reasoning been comparable in the G20 and G29?

Mas Ayoob said:
CDR, there is the occasional firearms platform that defies the conventional wisdom and the Glock 30 is one of those.

I've seen the G21 do 1.5" or a bit less at 25 yards for 5 shots, off the bench, but I've seen the G30 do UNDER 1.0".

If you ask in one of the general forums in GT, you'll see the same with the 9mm Glock 26 versus the 9mm full size Glock 17, and I for one have certainly seen the same with the snubby Glock 27 in .40 versus the Glock 22 full size in the same .40 S&W chambering.

The reason seems to be twofold. First, the shorter barrel gun has a relatively more rigid barrel, when you measure width vis-a-vis length. Second, and perhaps more important I think, is that the G30 in .45 ACP and the Baby Glocks in standard frame size have the double captive spring design in their recoil springs. This seems to better guarantee that the bullet is past the muzzle before the mechanism begins to unlock. That gives a more consistent barrel alignment shot to shot, in relation to the plane of the sights that are aiming the gun.

There is another gunmaker (which will remain nameless here) who made a 9mm double action auto that generally was doing well if it shot a 2.5" group at 25 yards out of the box. However, the company offered a variation for twice or more the price that did an inch at 25 yards. The guys at the "custom" section of the factory told me a big part of that was a different recoil spring assembly that guaranteed the bullet would be out of the muzzle before it began to unlock. Those guns used to go about $1500 retail. You get the same effect in the Glock 30 at no extra charge, with every standard G30 that leaves the factory.

As they say on the Internet, "Just sayin' ..."

The G36 has a narrower, lighter slide than the G30, and this may be why I for one have never seen a G36 shoot as accurately as a G30, on the average.

Just one guy's opinion,

Mas

#2 ·
His assertion is that you could bench rest the pistol and see the subcompact Glock outperform the standard size Glock.

I wish I could screw both pistols into a ransom rest and settle the issue, but shooting freehand, I do have to give a big edge to my G20 over my G29. That's not scientific. That's just me.

I compare the guns side by side every time I shoot 10mm and I do shoot better groups with my G20 SF than I do with my G29SF. The difference is slight though.

I don't ever bench rest my pistols, so I have nothing to compare to his test. I don't plan to take the time to test this. If I did end up shooting better groups benchresting with my G29, who is to say it wasn't from the reduced sight radius? Now, if I had a ransom rest, that would be worth investing 50 rounds in a test. .... remove the human factor, that's what I say. :supergrin:

#3 ·
I wish I could screw both pistols into a ransom rest and settle the issue, but shooting freehand, I do have to give a big edge to my G20 over my G29. That's not scientific. That's just me.
Excellent. You own both and you feel the G20 has the edge. I'm not really looking for scientific, your response is appreciated~!

#4 · (Edited)
Excellent. You own both and you feel the G20 has the edge. I'm not really looking for scientific, your response is appreciated~!
I do appreciate Mr. Ayoob posting here and I don't doubt that he has seen a G29 outshoot a G20 while benchrested.

At the same time, I can't shoot a freehand 25 yard group this tight with my G29 SF (only my G20 SF). I believe that this is a 30-35 round group.

I would like to see someone test this in a ransom rest though. It seems like that would settle the issue once and for all.

I do think the G20 handles way better than the G29. As far as a follow on shot, the G20 wins hands down (IMHO of course).

#6 ·
My Glock 29s are more accurate than my Glock 20s. They are also faster out of the holster (shorter) & they cycle faster (faster on the follow-up shot).

I own 3.

Good shooting
Finally, a vote for the G29. You have a low post count, idk if I should believe you...the Ranger avatar makes me want to lean towards believing you may be credible :supergrin:

#7 ·
:supergrin: My G29 is accurate enough that the hypothetical, "Which is more accurate" question is quite valid. There's only one way to settle this.

#8 ·
First i respect The Mas's opinion completely. I only have a G20sf and could not imagine a 29 that i could shoot better. I wear XL gloves so the compact framed glocks are as small as i buy. The rest would settle the question and give a answer but some would still not be swayed. Ammo used, distances shot then for some the debate is un-winable, Mas has some very valid points no doubt.

#9 ·
The rest would settle the question and give a answer but some would still not be swayed. Ammo used, distances shot then for some the debate is un-winable, Mas has some very valid points no doubt.
Yup, I didn't want to cloud the issue, but I'm still searching for the ideal ammo for my G29. I don't expect to find it this year, as I've got a few other projects going on.

#10 ·
Do a google search on Jay Shebuski.

-Master rated GSSF & IDPA shooter.
-US Army, retired
-Published
-Currently employed by FN manufacturing as a "Weapons tester".

The Glock 29 "Is" more accurate than the 20; OR, perhaps all of the pistols manufactured by Glock.

How 'bout this, I'll shoot a glock 29 @ the Morganton NC GSSF match, 16 April. I'll shoot in the Masters category & the Masters Major Sub.

Anyone w/a 20 or any other Glock up for the challenge?:supergrin:

Good shooting

#12 ·
How 'bout this, I'll shoot a glock 29 @ the Morganton NC GSSF match, 16 April. I'll shoot in the Masters category & the Masters Major Sub.
I'm hoping you post a youtube video. :supergrin:

Can you recommend a favorite G29 load for accuracy?
You could save me a lot of range and reloading time.

#13 · (Edited)
+1 Google proofs nothing but a video is priceless.:whistling:
GT has some very, very good shooters one in particular i really hope he takes this "prideful" statement seriously. ;)

I'm hoping you post a youtube video. :supergrin:

Can you recommend a favorite G29 load for accuracy?
You could save me a lot of range and reloading time.

#14 ·
Yup, I didn't want to cloud the issue, but I'm still searching for the ideal ammo for my G29. I don't expect to find it this year, as I've got a few other projects going on.
When you find it let me know. I just cannot find a local 29 to see how it fits my hands. I am not fond of ordering blind. Sure would be a nice carry piece. Good Luck with your projects, :wavey:

#15 ·
+1 Google proofs nothing but a video is priceless.:whistling:
GT has some very, very good shooters one in particular i really hope he takes this "prideful" statement seriously. ;)
Oh no, I believe that he is who he says he is.
I would just like to see a video of a fellow Glocktalker shooting.
If you look up his scores, they are impressive.

I'm still trying to get my G29 bucked out, so if I can find out what ammo he likes, it might save me a half dozen trips to the range.

#16 · (Edited)
Oh MD i have no doubt about all the google stuff at all i'm just joking around. I would and might go to see some matches soon. A video would be very cool. I would also like some info. about choice ammo weights and what nots for the 10mm. But there are members on here that i have seen videos of that amazed me . Hope your projects are indeed enjoyable,
David :supergrin:

Oh no, I believe that he is who he says he is.
I would just like to see a video of a fellow Glocktalker shooting.
If you look up his scores, they are impressive.

I'm still trying to get my G29 bucked out, so if I can find out what ammo he likes, it might save me a half dozen trips to the range.

#17 ·
The Glock 29 "Is" more accurate than the 20; OR, perhaps all of the pistols manufactured by Glock.
Do you attribute this to the double capture spring, or some other design feature of the G29?

#19 · (Edited)
Mas is probaby correct but i see the likes of Sevigny and some very young members of Team Glock use the 34 makes me wonder. I could ask Angus Hobdell but he is a CZ guy whom i really appreciate all his help thru the years. I sure would like to see Sevigny take various Glocks thru his paces. Hickok45 has a very informative video about accuracy which is a very subjective word.

I like my Glocks but my CZ's and HK's are my long time fav.s also. The USP uses a dual very robust recoil spring and are known for accuracy which adds to Mas's theory.

No dis-respect at all to Buski i'm very happy he shoots Glocks and enjoys the sport of shooting and certain he is very good at it. I sure would have really enjoyed working for most any firearm Co. plus i live in SC myself. But very thankful for all my years of Reliability Testing, Lab and Quality Control from MainFrames to BMW's a Blessed Life/Career.

I know we've discussed this before. But I have a more pointed question.

In your experience has this reasoning been comparable in the G20 and G29?

#20 ·
Your living in SC?

Do you shoot @ any of the IDPA, steel challenge, USPSA matches across the State?

..if so, I may run into you.

Will be shooting the NRA TPC match, in Anderson, SC May 14th. I try to hit the matches @ Mid-Carolina, the Central Carolina Club & Greenville.

Hope to see you out there.

Good shooting

#21 ·
Mine is more accurate than (any of) yours! :rofl:

Anyone w/a 20 or any other Glock up for the challenge?:supergrin:

Good shooting
:crying:Can't do it - but would love to. Raincheck perhaps?

#24 ·
Sounds like someone is... :scared:

:tongueout: Just trying to start some healthy competition!
I wish it was just that! No $ and I live about 1,000 miles away from there. I have a couple of resumes into companies in GA, each which isn't too far from there so I'm just crossing my fingers (one of many reasons I would like to move back South).

#25 ·
I wish it was just that! No $ and I live about 1,000 miles away from there. I have a couple of resumes into companies in GA, each which isn't too far from there so I'm just crossing my fingers (one of many reasons I would like to move back South).
I hope it works out for you GA has some beautiful country.

#26 ·
I can't see how an inch difference at 25yds could give an advantage in an IDPA style match. I would think the increased sight radius of the 20 would more than make up for that in a "run and gun" type competition. GSSF is like IDPA, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.