close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Maryland folks, what are the rules for possession by out of towners?

Discussion in 'Maryland/D. C. Glockers' started by Gallium, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Gallium

Gallium
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

Handgun possession, that is.

If this feasible, or is a permit to possess required?

Thanks!
    'Drew

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall
    Expand Collapse
    HildabeastHater

Off the top of my head, as a Virginian within 10 miles of MD:

You can't carry openly, or concealed.

In a vehicle, if you are actually enroute to or from a legal shooting event, you have to keep the unloaded handgun in a closed container inside the trunk, and the ammo inside a different closed container inside the trunk. And a loaded magazine is illegal, being considered as a loaded firearm.

If your vehicle has no trunk, such as a van or truck, you are supposed to keep everything as far from your reach as possible.

When I go to MD for a GSSF or other shooting event, I keep an empty J-frame and a loaded speedloader in separate containers on top of my other guns & ammo, because that's the fastest way I know to go from Maryland-legal to prepared.

Maryland should be avoided in general.

Now let's see who quotes actual law sections.:cool:

Edited to add: I never heard of any non-resident or other permit to possess.

#2 ChuteTheMall, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  3. swinokur

swinokur
    Expand Collapse

MD statute 4-203 below. You can own a handgun without registration unless purchased new in MD, then the serial number is sent to MSP. As mentioned, there are only a few situations where you can have a handgun in your vehicle. If going to a range, gun shop, shooting event, etc the weapon only needs to be unloaded and in an enclosed case or holster. The ammo does not need to be separated and a loaded magazine is permissible as long as it's not in the weapon.

No OC and CC permits are virtually impossible to get unless you are well connected politically.

Salient points highlighted:

MD isn't VA, but it's not NJ, DC or NY either. A lawsuit is currently in US District Court to force a shall issue permit system. We will have to see what happens. See section 3 for the hotel as residence portion
    </article> <form name="ask_a_lawyer_form" method="post" action="http://answers.justia.com/ask" accept-charset="utf-8"><label for="edit-question-question"></label><textarea class="blur" name="title" id="edit-question-question" rows="5" cols="60" title="Enter your question here. e.g., Do I need a bankruptcy lawyer?" placeholder="Enter your question here. e.g., Do I need a bankruptcy lawyer?"></textarea> <textarea name="information" id="edit-question-details" rows="9" cols="60" title="If you have additional details about your question fill them here" placeholder="If you have additional details about your question fill them here" class="hidden blur"></textarea> </form><aside id="networks" class="widget">
    <aside id="ask_a_lawyer" class="widget"><aside id="top-contributors" class="widget">

</aside></aside></aside>

#3 swinokur, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  4. Gallium

Gallium
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

Hey! :)

I have an unrestricted carry permit from my county (the only type they issue), good everywhere except NYC. :supergrin:

My specific question is: Can a out of stater bring a handgun (usual condition - unloaded, locked, ammo separate) into MD for a few days, keeping the gun in his/her hotel room?

Thanks!

'Drew

5. swinokur

swinokur
    Expand Collapse

Sorry Drew. Let me restate. MD isn't VA, but it's not NJ, DC or NYC either !

I have had long discussions about the hotel thing with other MD gun owners and the consensus is that a hotel is your domicile/residence while you are here, so it was felt you'd be legal. Having said that we could not find any MD case law that would either support or not support our opinion. See highlighted section 3 above. IIMO you'd be ok as a hotel room could be considered a bona fide residence while you are here.

IANAL

Howzatt?

:cool::cool:

#5 swinokur, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  6. meangreenlx50

meangreenlx50
    Expand Collapse

I live in WV and have a permit for my home state, but anytime we travel to PA to see my wifes' family an I go thru MD, I follow all MD laws reguarding traveling with a firearm. That being said I wonder about the whole transporting to requirements, because the way I read it you can't just be transporting through MD to get to a place that might accept your permit, you have to be going to your home, an event or a repair/gunshop.

7. swinokur

swinokur
    Expand Collapse

Sure you can. Google FOPA. Covers exactly what you want to do.

8. Gallium

Gallium
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

Thanks. Keep yer eyes peeled in May. I may just be that test case. :faint: :wavey:

9. swinokur

swinokur
    Expand Collapse

where will you be staying? maybe you'll have time to eat or go shooting?

10. Gallium

Gallium
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

I'll hit you with a PM as soon as I get the green light from Parole and get fitted with the out of state ankle bracelet! :)

'Drew

11. swinokur

swinokur
    Expand Collapse

An ankle bracelet and a gun? very nice