close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Maryland concealed carry permit rules to relax next month

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by HerrGlock, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Lior

Lior
    Expand Collapse
    GUNS=FREEDOM

Good news indeed (unless you are a criminal)!

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock
    Expand Collapse
    Scouts Out
    CLM

I wouldn't be at all surprised if MD assembly will pass some sort of ban on CCW even with permit, even if they're out of session it'll get called into one for an emergency session for just such an occasion. They cannot have the peons actually fending for themselves, y'know.

3. blackjack

blackjack
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, HG, for the update as I had seen the original ruling articles but no followups. It is most gratifying to see one judge with the clear understanding of the Constitution and recent SCOTUS rulings like Heller. I don't see how the state can expect success at the appellate level but also understand that is a primary tactic by having platoons of lawyers to launch against citizens.

4. RYT 2BER

RYT 2BER
    Expand Collapse

Doesn't affect me directly but that's just great news!

5. md2lgyk

md2lgyk
    Expand Collapse

I wonder if MD will issue non-resident permits or have any reciprocity. Not holding my breath.

6. swinokur

swinokur
    Expand Collapse

This is still on appeal to the 4th circuit. Special sessions of the GA can only be called for budgetary issues. No reason it couldn't be brought up during one of those however.

#7 swinokur, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  7. Agonizer

Agonizer
    Expand Collapse

"But gun opponents such as Vice question why the state should risk the instances in which permit holders have committed gun crimes. Nationally, more than 400 people have been killed by holders of concealed carry licenses in the past few years, he said."

This is a deliberately deceptive statement. The number of deaths includes legally justified self defense shootings.

8. Tx-SIG229

Tx-SIG229
    Expand Collapse

hope MD does pass CCW so that i can visit home someday lol

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

One step at a time.

Maryland may have been "may issue" but my understanding is Maryland permits are pretty rare. I'm curious though how they say this turns Maryland into a "shall issue" state. All the ruling seemed to state (unless I misunderstood something) is that they shouldn't have to show "good and substantial cause".

Maybe I'm missing something.

10. HerrGlock

HerrGlock
    Expand Collapse
    Scouts Out
    CLM

The rest of the requirements are objective, that "good and substantial" is how MD turned people down, insufficient reason to carry per the state police.

Without that subjective requirement, they cannot turn you down as long as you meet the other, objective, ones. Shall issue.

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

I don't know. The ruling doesn't seem to say that the police can't have discretion, just that they can't use a lack of "good and substantial reason" to deny someone.

I hope I'm wrong, but thats the way I read it.

12. HerrGlock

HerrGlock
    Expand Collapse
    Scouts Out
    CLM

Okay, not picking but you seem to be the only one reading it that way, including MD State Police and the courts.

Here's the statute for MD to get a permit:

https://web.lexisnexis.com/research...V-zSkAb&_md5=0dd0722a3323de13e8a01fc7e8e0e898
    Now take out the bolded line and see where they'll have discretion in issuing them. Even the "exhibit a propensity for violence" will have to have something backing it up and not just "I don't like anyone having a firearm" It'll go to court every time they turn someone down for that without having convictions or multiple arrests for violent behavior.

#13 HerrGlock, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

First, I didn't take it as you're picking on me..lol.

Now I see the reasoning behind this making the state "shall issue" after reading the state code.

Hopefully their legislature doesn't change the state code to give the state police broad powers to deny.

IGF

14. HerrGlock

HerrGlock
    Expand Collapse
    Scouts Out
    CLM

They will change it back or eliminate it entirely for something like "only by order of the governor". It's MD, after all, and basically run by Montgomery, PG and Baltimore counties.

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

That's what I would suspect as well... I wonder if this this has laid the groundwork on whether a "may issue" system is constitutional?

16. stephens285

stephens285
    Expand Collapse

:rofl: I was thinking the same thing!

17. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe
    Expand Collapse
    you savvy?

this is great news but i will wait until the practical application is applied practically before i get all giddy.

some of our long time members here are residents of maryland....maybe they can tell us about how it really goes when they get or dont get their unrestricted carry permit....

18. swinokur

swinokur
    Expand Collapse

I applied as soon as the Judge ruled against MD. MD cashed my check and ran my background check but then the Judge issued a stay and it was frozen. I expect on the 8th of Aug when the stay is lifted processing will begin again and I'll get mine at some point. I'll let you know.

19. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo
    Expand Collapse

It's also not a statistic when the time frame is not clearly stated. My immediate thought upon hearing that is how many people have been killed by LEO's in that same time frame.

This is one of the few things stopping me from making a trip to the area, knowing I can't carry once I get there. Hopefully this is a step towards recognition.