close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Maritime Spring Cup Reliability Issues?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Raleigh Glocker, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Raleigh Glocker

Raleigh Glocker

I'm putting together a video on the maritime spring cups and want to mention the downsides to installing them "just in case."

So far, I can only find mention that they will wear faster than regular spring cups, but I can find no mention of this actually being a problem for anyone. Also, I can find no mention of the maritime cups causing dry land reliability issues.

Has my search fu failed me? Is there a real downside to installing the cups that people have actual experience with or heard reliable reports on?

Thanks for your help!

2. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

No issues that I know off. I have them in 3 different guns, one with over 50000rds. No wear issues. These are OEM parts after all....If anything, you have some more leeway with regards to a dirty striker channel than with the stock cups.

Two little things to keep in mind during assembly. Examine your striker spring closely. Put the "thick" end with 3 closed coils towards the cups, ie, the front of the gun. That way the cups have more clamping support around the striker. The second point is to make doubly sure that end of the spring doesn't coincide with the joint between the two halves of the cups. Try to center the spring end exactly in the middle of one spring cup half.
    [​IMG]

3. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Maritime spring cups are completely worthless - Completely!

In order to have any chance, at all, of successfully firing your wet Glock off you'd need to be using a 9mm model with a barrel no longer than 4.5 inches, and FMJ ammo. If you actually need to defend yourself underwater get a 12 gauge, 'bang stick' or a CO2 spear gun. Otherwise you're just wasting your money.

4. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

Even Glock literature characterizes the "standard" spring cups as a "sturdy" design. There's more polymer material at the top to engage the shoulder on the firing pin. With that said, I've had "maritime" cups in my Gen2 G17 since 2007, and it goes a few thousand rounds a year with absolutely no issues. I strip this gun annually and check everything out.

I've had no desire to put "maritime" cups in my other Glock 9mm's, including my newly-prized Gen2 G19. I also didn't spec this part for my agency when we transitioned to Glock pistols in 2007, fearing durability issues (again, there's simply more polymer between the spring and the firing pin on the "standard" cups.

For those comtemplating use of the "maritime" cups, remember that they are ONLY for 9mm guns, and that there are significant safety issues pertinent to underwater shooting. I only put them in my G17 because A) the CDI factor (chicks-dig-it), and B) I live on an Island (a "Long" one...), and frequently work around the water.

5. Raleigh Glocker

Raleigh Glocker

The Austrian military disagrees with you, which is why they even exist. They aren't just for firing while underwater, though there are advantages to being able to do that for a very small number of people worldwide.

Say you're using your handgun to defend yourself but drop it in shallow water (puddle, creek, surf). It takes you long enough to recover that the firing pin channel fills with water, which is actually a hard thing to do with regular spring cups because they partially seal the channel. However, once it's full, the firing pin channel drains equally slowly, and all the while you risk a light primer strike when you want it to go "BANG!".

A striker fired pistol does not give you a second chance. You need to rack the slide to recock the striker, and you still might not be any better off if the firing pin channel has yet to fully drain.

The maritime spring cups not only prevent hydraulic lock for underwater firing, but they also allow water to drain much more rapidly from the firing pin channel once the Glock is pulled from the water.

So, it may be a waste of money for many people, but it seems to be a sensible upgrade for people who will find themselves in and around water during times they might use their Glock for defense or combat. Being that they cost less than a grip plug, it is hardly an expenditure that would give most Glock owners pause.

I am still interested in hearing about the reliability aspects of it, though. If there are trade-offs to using them, I want to be sure to share them.

6. Raleigh Glocker

Raleigh Glocker

Yeah, this is exactly what I keep reading. Many are concerned about durability issues, but I can't find any record of that actually being an issue. There is no question that the standard cups are more robust, but are the maritime cups wearing out and causing problems?

Thanks for your input!

7. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

I never installed them for underwater ability. I installed them for smoothness and when shooting lots of lead reloads the striker channel gums up a bit faster and these cups give just some more tolerance in that area.

That's all. Again I have no wear issues with these in over 50000 rounds.

None of that super tacticool scuba ninja reasoning.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  8. Raleigh Glocker

Raleigh Glocker

This is good info. Thanks!

9. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:upeyes: Well, over the past 10 years, I have read dozens of maritime spring cup posts on Glock Talk. Until today nobody has ever said that these spring cups were developed for the Austrian military. The usual remark is that they were developed at the request of the U.S. Navy SEALS. Nothing you've posted has changed my mind; and, if you reread the information I originally published you should be able to see that ACCORDING TO INFORMATION PREVIOUSLY POSTED ON THIS FORUM (What you asked for, correct!) the actual use of maritime spring cups is severely limited.

Neither do I regard the dropping your 'Glock in a puddle syndrome' as a valid reason for using these cups. I think you're trying too hard to justify a rarely called for, and rarely used Glock factory option; I really do.

PS: I hope I haven't offended anyone in the Austrian military. :)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  10. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Ten years on the board, 1,000's of lead rounds through 2 Glocks; and I never heard that one before. :headscratch:

11. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Charlie Vanek includes them in his trigger kits. Less material, they are lighter and have less surface area to contact against the striker channel. That means less friction so smoother action.

Arc... u really need to rethink your position, as you're totally off base .

12. Raleigh Glocker

Raleigh Glocker

So, if I read between the lines, with all those years and posts on this board, you've decided that they are a waste because they serve no purpose based upon what you've read about them. However, you have, in all of your vast experience/reading, not come across any reports of reliability issues, because if you had, I would guess you would've mentioned that already.

Am I correct? If not, what reliability issues have you read about?

Thanks!

13. RYT 2BER

RYT 2BER

Ghost inc (as in ghost connectors) highly recommends them and suggests they offer increased reliability.... Don't know if it's true but I have them in all my glocks

14. 153

Are these "cups" for nines only, or do they work for all calibers?

They would be an interesting OEM addition, but I don't plan on submerging my pistols. They would merit consideration if relibility is truly enchanced.

15. USSOCOM

USSOCOM

9mm pistols only!

16. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

:animlol:

When I shoot my Glocks the brass hits me in the head so hard it makes me cry!

All those tears literally drench my gun leading to firing problems.

The more I shoot, the more it hurts.
    The more it hurts the more I cry.
    The more I cry the worse the function errors become.

So I installed 2 sets of marine cups in all my Glocks.
    One set on each end.

I advise everyone to do the same thing.

Just in case.

17. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

Firing pin spring cups are a single part nr for all models. The maritime variety will therefore also fit all models.

Yes, if you read the uber tactical Glock PR releases, the maritime versions were "approved" for the 17 only... But if you believe that, you'll also believe that a certain knivemaker's grips are wrapped in para chord "because it's the only material that retains good grip with bloodied hands".

18. elijah58

elijah58

Just one question, How do you tell that this tiny part is making your shot any smoother. I have to call BS on that one.

19. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

No I don't; but, tell ya what, all I've done on the Internet today is get into one argument after another; and, now, I've got other genuine, and more important, things on my mind.

So, quickly: Many custom trigger kits contain odd components that only marginally add something useful - if anything at all - to a Glock. For instance, a 4# striker spring will significantly lighten a Glock's trigger pull; BUT, that doesn't mean it's a good idea to use one. Same thing goes for lightweight spring cups. What are you trying to do? I used a G-19 with standard spring cups all afternoon today in order to produce some of the best scores I've fired in years. Do I think maritime spring cups would have made things any better? Of course I don't.

Thanks! Maybe I'll visit a priest, first thing, tomorrow morning. People have been telling me I'm, 'off base' all day, today. Well, people on the Internet, that is. The ones I live with still seem to like me, well enough, though. ;)

First, you're welcome; and, yes, you're deductive logic is impeccable. Quite frankly (and with all my years and posts on this board :supergrin: ) I don't think I've ever heard of a reliability issue with maritime spring cups. Most of the threads I recall were concerned with: (1) Why they were invented. (2) Who they were invented for; and (3) How they should be properly used. I've already shared this information with you.

20. elijah58

elijah58

Ghost Inc. is trying to sell you something, do you expect them to say "actually these maritime cups are worthless and you don't need to buy any because they will actually not do anything at all."? If you plan on submerging your gun very often then take you r knife and make two to three little V notches on the oem cups and VOILA you have maritime cups. Also in the armorers class they told us that it was not for shooting under water, it was for letting any water that got into the firing pin channel to drain easier to keep it from rusting if left for a while in this condition. But leaving the gun in the barrel down position will do the same thing. But mainly this is a bunch of hype over nothing at all. Oh and by the way, the instructor in the armorers class told us that these were not made from necessity they were made because someone that bought a lot of guns requested them. If you look on you tube you can see a guy with a regular glock put his in a barrel full of muddy water, he heldit under the water and turned it all different directions so to make sure it was FULL of water then while it was under water he emptied it 1 22 rnd mag rapid fire under with no problem at all. Use the oem cups you get more plastic for your money.:rofl: