close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Marines: I have a Uniform question.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Eurodriver, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

Sep 11, 2010
    Is there a regulation that states a Marine in service/dress uniforms (A, B, C, or D) cannot drive or ride on a motorcycle?*

*aside from regulations regarding TriCare and the use of proper PPE while operating a motorcycle.

*edit: I know driving a harley or a Honda CBR1000 while wearing the full dress blue uniform is unprofessional as hell, my question is not whether or not "should you" but rather "can you".

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  2. frank4570

frank4570

Jun 25, 2004
    Were you planning to be on the back of a motorcycle while wearing your dress uniform?

3. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Sep 30, 2006
    What about riding in the side car? LOL

By Service uniform do you mean the everyday BDUs? What about the messengers that rode harely's in WW2 and later wars? They were in uniform when they rode them.

4. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

Sep 11, 2010
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+are+Marine+Service+Uniforms

This doesn't matter.

5. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
    Here's what I found in Navy regs that might apply:

6804. PROTECTIVE CLOTHING FOR OPERATING VEHICLES OTHER THAN AUTOMOBILES
    1. WEAR. Naval personnel may wear protective cloth- ing with their uniform only while operating or riding as a passenger on two or three wheeled vehicles, and while going between a parking area and duty station.
    2. DESCRIPTION
    a. Protective clothing is clothing which could prevent or limit accidental injury.
    b. Protective clothing includes a helmet, long sleeve shirts or jacket, long trousers, leather jacket and gloves, and hard soled shoes with heels (boots).
    c. Boots or heavy shoes, worn instead of uniform shoes, must be plain. The jacket is plain leather or other protective material, unadorned except for safety markings. Leather gloves or other protective gloves are authorized.
    3. PROCUREMENT RESPONSIBILITY. Individuals are responsible for buying their own protective clothing. Protective clothing may be stowed aboard ship, if space permits.

Don't forget theHigh-vis vest. there are military regulations regarding the specs for a vest. Icon makes a mil-spec. version. Only other reg(s) I found were about wearing head gear as applied to motorcycles (no head gear, but a helmet).

6. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

Sep 11, 2010
    Yes that involves PPE though.

I know utilities can be worn on motorcycles - Marines do it every day.

I'm talking strictly service and dress uniforms

7. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

Sep 11, 2010
    No answer? Posers don't know these things I guess.

8. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
    Clarify "Posers" please?

Wren

9. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

Oct 6, 2007
    AZ
    That's what I was wondering. How does one "pose" by not knowing the answer to an arcane uniform question? :dunno:

There's a couple unanswered questions, anyway. Is it you that is going to be doing it? If so, are you going to ride on a military base? I'd say that as long as you have the military required PPE- helmet, reflective vest, gloves, etc it shouldn't be a problem.

10. devildog2067

devildog2067

Apr 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Aren't you out?

Uniform regs no longer apply to you, technically. You can wear whatever you want.

Having said that, I can't imagine a good reason to be on a motorcycle in Charlies. If nothing else, it would screw up your Corframs beyond repair.

11. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Dec 18, 2004
    San AntonioTexas
    I dont know the answer to this question but the rules for getting on base while on a motorcycle are fairly obnoxious that I solved that problem by not going on base while riding a motorcycle.

12. oldsoldier

oldsoldier

Jun 22, 2008
    MO
    I agree but I sure see a lot of people putting up with the hassle to ride them on Ft. Leonard Wood. They conduct the safety class a lot more frequently than they used to due to demand. The post has a training area just for motorcycle riders so they can get the permit to ride them on post. Places where I used to see one or two Harleys parked now have parking areas for a dozen or more and that isn't enough. The MPs are starting to ticket the bikes that are illegally parked around post HQs. The riders don't like to park out with the cars and were parking them in fire lanes, loading docks, etc. Edited: I'm seeing a lot of those 3 wheel machines with the two wheels in the front too. My neighbors (husband and wife) have one each and ride them to work on FLW.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  13. The Maggy

The Maggy

Dec 24, 2008
    Stillwater, OK
    I honestly do not think that there would be a regulation against it. What if the service member only owns a bike? I wouldn't want to subject my dress uniform to that kind of punishment because when I wore it, it always looked fresh and sharp; I'd imagine that it would look kind of beat up and dirty after a motorcycle ride.

I have never seen it done; but I do not remember anything in AR670-1 that prohibited the Army from doing it either.

14. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

Sep 11, 2010
    Not for me, but thank you.

I never thought about corframs being scratched up.

Thanks guys.

15. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

Jan 21, 2001
    Centerburg, OH
    Ah yes... those damned Corframs. Shone like black chrome, cleaned up with Windex and edge dressing, and a fantastic accessory for the dress uniform.

But the actual wearing of them...! GAH! Heat absorbing black, impermeable, unyielding plastic material, worn over paper thin and non-absorbent nylon socks, in the heat, while marching, in Dress Blues, over and over in rehearsal, doing manual of arms and color guard drill for change of command and retirement services, MC Balls, assorted parades, morning and evening colors, 24 hour barracks duty, TRAVELLING...!

I tell you, I'd have been more comfortable with good old-fashioned combat boots; at least they breathed a little, and you could wear proper socks. I poured a combination of sweat and blister-fluid out of my Corframs on more than one occasion, and the low maintenance shine on those damned things was NOT worth it! My very favorite thing about those damn shoes was taking them OFF! :steamed:

Sorry about that... That was an inappropriate thread tangent and rant. Beers all around, on me. Semper Fi.

16. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
    I pretty much gave it to you here. Check with your post's (or what ever Marines call their duty station, I was Army) regulations, not GT for the last word.

17. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

May 16, 2005
    Where the buffalo roam
    You didn't specify US marines or Thai marines. HH

18. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

Jan 21, 2001
    Centerburg, OH
  19. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Aug 23, 2009
    SE WA
    Bravos and Chucks are good for libo. Ride away. Alphas or actual Blues, not a chance.

Does that mean you'd want to. No.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine