close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

marching stride

Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by cyriaque, Aug 5, 2009.

1. cyriaque

cyriaque Millennium Member

Dec 7, 1999
    california
    What is the length of stride and pace while marching in formation?

2. 2952

Aug 31, 2006
    On the beach

agree with 30 " step but rate was 120 steps per minute when I in the USMC. Same pace all of Sousa's(who was the leader of the USMC Band {The President's Own}for many years) March Songs were written to be played 4/4

3. gruntmedik

gruntmedik Honk Honk CLM

Jan 2, 2005
    Taylorsville, KY
    I agree with the 120 per, as it is what I was taught at Parris Island in 85. However, I took my answer straight from the USMC Drill and Ceremonies Manual. Granted, it was the first result google gave me. It also said 12", 15", or 30" steps.

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/nrotc/JROTC/MCO_P5060_1_.20_1.pdf

4. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Mar 23, 2001
    WV
    Retired Air Force here. What exactly is "marching in formation?"

5. deadday

deadday

Aug 14, 2007
    Texas
    Formation is that box thing you all line up in to receive blanket awards :whistling:

6. Marine8541

Marine8541 iseedeadpeople

Jul 10, 2006
    Littleton, Colorado
    It's correct, remember it's close order drill and ceremonies and without going into too much detail pace and stride will change depending on the occasion such as passing a reviewing stand or a funeral march.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  7. cyriaque

cyriaque Millennium Member

Dec 7, 1999
    california
    I thought i remembered 30" , 120 / mnute from boot camp

8. Marine8541

Marine8541 iseedeadpeople

Jul 10, 2006
    Littleton, Colorado

I'll right I will go into more detail. 120 with a thirty inch step works fine when you're marching in a straight line but nothing including parade review is in a straight line. When the maneuvering element is on the march and a move to a ninety degree angle in a uniform manner is needed the proper command is "column right... march". It's a two part command with column right being the preparatory command and march being the execution command. On the command march the element leader and guide execute a movement of pivot with the element leader taking 24 inch strides the guide marches ahead with 30 inch strides so he over takes the element leader. The rest of the column pivots where the guide did but if the entire column kept taking 30 inch strides they couldn't maintain cover, alignment nor 40 inches back to chest.

It's like runners running around a track, the distance the outside squads of the column have to travel further so they maintain a 30 inch stride the inside squads of the column must shorten their stride so cover and alignment and distance may be retained so the inside most element cuts their stride to 12 inches but maintain cadence by lifting the legs higher. The next squad from the inside also shortens their stride but to maintain cover, alignment, and distance the cut their stride to 15 inch strides but maintain cadence by lifting their knees higher than the outside of the column but not as high as the inside of the column. This way the outer most squads can cover more ground than the inner most squads and still maintain cover, alignment, and 40 inches back to chest.

It's easy if you don't confuse stride with cadence.