close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Man with gun in Walmart arrested for refusing to show permit

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TBO, Nov 9, 2012.

1. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I don't know about him, but I don't.

2. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

It doesn't.

If your state's CHL process meets certain criteria, it will serve in lieu of NICS at point of sale. I *THINK* if your state uses NICS when the license is issued.

For instance, Louisiana's doesn't because our legislators are idiots, so I still have to have the check done.

3. NickC50310

NickC50310

Open carry is NOT legal within city limits which obviously this was within city limits.

In Iowa the permit to purchase IS the background check. So you guys in your super duper ultra gun friendly states get to do background checks EVERY time you purchase a firearm. We do one once a year or once every five years if we have a CHL. This allows us to walk in the store, plop down our cash, fill out the 4473, and walk out the door no questions asked. To me it looks like we have a more effective and convenient system! :tongueout::dunno:

4. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Do they at least paint a yellow stripe around the city limits so you folks know when you're legal and illegal?:rofl:

Background check takes 5 minutes but after it is complete, I can holster up and walk out with or without government permission.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  5. JJohnson

JJohnson Call me Jeff

I enjoy the pissing matches regarding who has the best set of hoops to jump through to exercise a right.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  6. Gills63

Gills63

So what's if you become disqualified, does it flag your name.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. Bruce M

Bruce M

Interesting viewpoint. Maybe the officer derives the authority to stop the suspect from the little smiley guy that cuts the prices at Walmart.

8. Wyoming

Wyoming

If a police officer asked me for my ID I would show him/her my driver's license even if I wasn't driving at the time.

Maybe it was the way I was raised but it doesn't seem like a good idea to piss people off especially a person with a gun and a big stick.

Many year ago I worked till 3:30 AM. There was never any traffic in my little town at the time. One night there were all kinds of red and blue lights from several vehicles. I pulled over, turned on my dome light, rolled down my driver's side window and put both of my hand on my steering wheel. A police officer came up and asked me a few questions looked at me. Very politely said good buy and they all left. I am sure they were looking for some one driving a Chevy 4X4 but I wasn't the one. Do you know how many Chevy 4X4's there are in Wyoming.

Police have a tough enough job to do. Ever LE officer I ever meet was a person just trying to provide for their family and just want to live long enough to retire. When that police officer working security for Walmart he wasn't doing it for fun. He was probably doing it because he needed to earn extra money. Show him your permit. If you think he violated your rights talk to an attorney later. If he was right you save yourself an arrest record and if he was wrong let your attorney handle it.

9. TK-421

TK-421

Maybe it was the way I was raised too, but I'd do the same thing. Generally, unless you're doing something majorly wrong, if you cooperate everything will be over 10x sooner than if you try to claim every single one of your rights and constantly pester the officer with questions and make stupid demands and all this other ****. If a cop asked to see my ID, i'd just hand it over and let him get on with the more important stuff. There is absolutely no reason to tie up the cop's time more than is absolutely necessary for him to perform his job.

10. pmcjury

pmcjury

So they don't call in your 4473?

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

11. JJohnson

JJohnson Call me Jeff

No, it is not necessary.

12. NickC50310

NickC50310

By that time I will have already been armed for five minutes walking out with my pistol holstered on my hip if I chose to do so. What if theres a delay? Then youre waiting a day at least! :tongueout:

:rofl::tongueout:

As Jeff said, no. I didnt even know that when I bought my first pistol back in 05. I was like isnt there a BG check or something and the guy was like no- you already have your permit to purchase. :supergrin:

13. NickC50310

NickC50310

Yeah on this new invention called a map. Or this other nifty invention called a sign when you enter city limits! :rofl::wavey::supergrin:

14. SgtScott31

SgtScott31

It sounds like Iowa has the same law as TN where statutorily you are required to show the permit upon demand by a LEO. Many stores hire LEOs off-duty due to their experience, education, training, and powers of arrest. They cost more to hire than normal security, but the liability is less if you have someone that knows what they're doing. Regardless of his job responsibilities at Walmart he can still enforce laws unrelated to shoplifting or other retail crimes, which is exactly what he did here. It appears that some customers were concerned which is probably what brought his attention to the guy. Refusing to show it is simply ignorant, especially when required to by law. I'm pretty sure most of the guys that teach the permit classes in my neck of the woods make sure their students know this when coming into contact with LE.

15. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Open carry has elevated to the likes of flying the Confederate flag. Legally protected, Constitutionally guaranteed and even worshipped in some parts but for the love of christ's sake...give it at least an ounce of thought where the hell you do it and how you behave when doing so. HH

16. TK-421

TK-421

Fixed it for you. :supergrin:

And yes, I agree, think first before you grab your open carry holster. It's generally not a good idea to do it, unless you know the area, and you know that the people who will you see are comfortable seeing a firearm on your belt. Most people get uncomfortable around guns, it's just the way it is. Don't like it? Don't piss and moan when you have to talk to the cops multiple times because they complain that you're openly carrying.

17. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Iowa has state preemption, right?

The AG has opined that local jurisdictions may restrict carry in government owned/controlled buildings under their home rule power, right?

Yet, Des Moines has an ordinance totally banning open carry within its city limits?

18. kenpoprofessor

kenpoprofessor

So any person with a gun and a big stick would intimidate you? Why am I not shocked America is where it is?

So would you allow them to come to your house and search it without a warrant? Same thing isn't it? At least it is to me. You've got nothing to hide, so be a good little citizen and let them have their way and they'll leave you alone sooner. :whistling:

Reasonable suspicion? A gun, that is clearly visible, is reasonable suspicion???

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

19. kenpoprofessor

kenpoprofessor

And sadly, this is why I will never live in my state of birth, it's people like you with this attitude. Sadly, TX has lost it's will to remain a Republic.

Were you raised in TX or a transplant???

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

20. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

FWIW: there ARE people who CAN tell you what to do.
    There ARE people who CAN make you do things you don't want to.

Have a great emotionally balanced lawful respectful day.

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2