close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Man started picking fight with me over the weekend

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Zell, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Apr 22, 2007
    Utah
    Here’s my story. Thought I’d share it.

I took 2 of my 3 sons (ages 18 and 7) fishing this past Saturday up in the high Uinta mountain range --14 year old son was at a week-long boy scout camp. There's a series of ponds up there that are off the main dirt road that are very isolated from any public areas. We've had some good luck catching fish at the spot before so it was worth the travel down a single lane rough dirt road to get to the spot. When we got there we found that we were the only ones at the pond so we found a place to settle down and fish in a little nook that went down to the water's edge. It was covered by trees not too far from the road we came down on. I had brought a lunch for us in a white grocery sack and had some fishing tackle and a digital camera in another white sack that I laid down on the ground. It was a beautiful afternoon but after awhile of not catching anything (we were using worms) we moved about 75 feet from where we were to another spot on the shore to see if our chances were better there. When we moved I left our stuff where we first started fishing because I was going to go back to try using a lure after getting my sons set up. When we got to the new spot my 18 year old started fishing but my 7 year old, after trying to cast, ended up getting his line snagged as well as got the line on his reel snarled and bunched up.

While I was trying to fix his line and reel, a truck with three guys in it came down the road heading toward another pond. After driving from one pond to another the driver decided to head back up to the main road. He almost got there then stopped and someone got out their truck and went into the trees near the road. They were there less than 30 seconds then they drove off, got to the main road, and turned east. I assumed they were looking for a spot to fish, then decided against it and drove on.

My 18 year old heard them say, "he's (me) near his truck" so he started to walk toward where I left our stuff to check it after they left. I minute later I heard him yell out, "Dad, you better get over here." I walked over to where we first started out fishing and saw that only one sack was there (the one with the lunch) and noticed my fishing pole was also gone. He said he thought those guys had stolen it. I thought he was kidding and maybe hiding it all from me but soon realized he was dead serious. At that point both of us started running up to the main road to see if we could see the truck all the while I'm thinking I could care less about the cheap fishing pole and tackle in the bag but what I really did not want stolen was the fairly expensive camera with about 1100 pictures on the disk.

As we got to the top of the road we saw them coming back down the road heading west. I stood in the middle of the road holding up a hand telling them to stop but was also ready to jump out of the way if they decided to gun it. They stopped and I asked them through the open driver side window if they took my white bag. The driver, a burly hick looking kind of guy, said they did and handed it to me and he got out of his truck to get my fishing pole from the bed of his truck. Obviously at this point I was angry but relieved I had it all back. I asked why he took it and he said they saw it and took it thinking it was just left there by someone else. Since we were the only ones at the pond I said it was obviously my stuff. He said he held up the bag in the air in my direction when he got it and since I said nothing he decided to take it. I told him I was busy fixing my son’s reel and never saw him do that and I asked him why he didn't yell over to me asking me if this was stuff was mine or why didn't he come over to me and ask me. He didn’t give me an answer. I also asked him why he would take something that wasn’t his to begin with. Again, no response. I then said I think you were trying to steal it. As soon as I said that he went ballistic. He said he wasn’t stealing my stuff and I better keep my ------- mouth shut. The guy went absolutely nuts. One second he was fine then with fire in his eyes he went totally bat crap crazy. Now, neither my son nor I can remember exactly what he was saying other than he was letting out f-bombs right and left and at one point he said if I did not apologize he said he “would steal it.” To begin with I was amazed and ticked off someone would blatantly steal my stuff, but for a guy to totally fire cracker explode like this absolutely stunned me.

Now this guy was probably near 60, thick and fairly well built (he did have a good sized gut on him) but shorter than me – I’m 6’1” and 51. The first thing I thought was I really don’t want to get into a fight plus there were two other guys sitting in the truck who might join in and possibly involve my son in the fight and I still had a 7 year old standing by the pond watching this and fishing at the same time. Since we were in a remote area (I kept thinking about the movie Deliverance), I backed off saying we didn’t want any trouble and that I was sorry if I had offended him all the while this fiery-psycho kept getting in my face and yelling at me (like I said, I really can’t remember what he was saying – I was just stunned this was even happening). I could tell he was hoping I’d throw a punch or something and after not wanting to he shoved me. I let it go and once again said we’re just trying to have a day of fishing and don’t want trouble and again apologized to him, if that’s what it took to cool him down. Finally my son and I walked away all the while he’s still yelling obscenities at me. I get back to the truck and throw our stuff in the back, except the camera. I walk up to my 7 year old and with only the innocence a 7 year old can have, the first thing he tells me is he had a fish on the line but it ate his worm and got away, all the while we were at the top of the road dealing with a schizophrenic redneck – LOL. We waited for them to take off and then drove up to the main road and headed the opposite direction to a camp ground where we ate our lunch. The fishing stunk at that pond anyway so it was no big loss to leave. After lunch we drove to a lake near our family cabin and fished until it started getting dark then headed back to the cabin, made a fire and roasted marshmallows. In hindsight, no one got hurt (other than my bruised ego), and we got our stuff back.

The biggest regret I had (and lesson learned) was not having my 9mil. M&P with me. I brought it on the trip but forgot and left it at the cabin -- what a totally stupid thing to do. If this guy had a weapon, me and my kids would have been cooked. I will NEVER do that again -- ever.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  2. Marine8541

Marine8541 iseedeadpeople

Jul 10, 2006
    Littleton, Colorado
    You're safe, you got your stuff back and you learned a lesson. Delete your post before you're critiqued all to heck by the Monday morning QB club...

3. Smashy

Smashy

Jan 22, 2007
    Southwestern Oregon
    Was Amber Lamps watching?

4. fetep

fetep

Apr 27, 2010
    Glad it worked out OK for you, people are stupid always carry!

5. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Apr 5, 2007
    Utah
    Should have just started taking photos of them and the truck including the plate number. Jerks don't like evidence. Summit County Sheriff does.

6. Five O'Glock

Five O'Glock

Nov 5, 2005
    Virginia
    1- Don't ever leave your gun again (but you've already figured that out)

2- I don't think I would have had words with the guy especially after you got your stuff back. There were three of them and you are in a remote area. Your stuff can be replaced, your life and the lives of your sons cannot.

7. buckslayer

buckslayer 3 x Combat Vet

Feb 26, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    I'm glad to hear you and your boys made it out safely!

8. woodz

woodz Glock Newbie

Mar 18, 2010
    Florida
    ^^^^ this ^^^^^

9. riding4life162

riding4life162 AIrborne!!!

May 6, 2010
    Utah
    Glad you got your stuff back, learned a ton of lessons and most importantly no one was hurt. I live in UT and fish all the time, what Lake/pond were you at?

10. Landmonster

Landmonster

Oct 9, 2006
    Fort Worth, TX
    What you did sounded good to me... except the part where you attempted to press him into admitting he was stealing.

Once he offered your stuff back and gave his weak excuse, I probably would have considered that "good enough", given the situation.

11. bubbatime

bubbatime Jive Turkey!!

Oct 16, 2004
    FL
    You are well and you got your stuff back. I'm sure there are several valuable lessons that you learned, such as not carrying your weapon and confronting a group of thieves by yourself.

12. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Viva Hate CLM

Jan 27, 2005
    Ether
    LOL. You gotta watch out for those Utah hilljacks.

I had a demented pair of them on a dirtbike trying to terrorize my little brother and I when we were kids driving home from a fishing trip in BFE. When they realized I was perfectly willing to play bumper cars with two tons of American steel vs. their ****ty bike they took the next exit.

13. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY
    I'm glad you're OK but I don't think what you did was too bright seeing there were three of them and you had your 7 year old with you. I bet you don't go to a remote area anytime soon without your pistol. :supergrin:

14. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

May 13, 2007
    Arizona Oven
    "Okay, thanks for returning it, you guys have a good day and enjoy your time at the lake"

End of incident.

Oh, no...couldn't let it go, could ya?

Who was picking the fight with who, at that point?

Take your stuff back, say thanks, save the sermon for Sunday morning and get out of there.

15. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Apr 22, 2007
    Utah
    I totally agree. I soon as I accused him that he stole my stuff I thought, oh crap, I shouldn't have said that. Should have just shut up and left.

16. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

Feb 28, 2006
    Texas
    Glad everything turned out OK. I'll add my vote for:

1. ALWAYS carry your gun (where legal)
    2. Not sure why you were pressing the guy on "stealing" your stuff. You had it back.. to call him out in front of his buddies is what escalated the situation... and once it was escalated, it was clear you weren't in it for the long haul, and they saw it. Unfortunately, calling even a thief a thief can end badly.

Oh well, eveyrone went home.. you got to spend a day with your boys, and maybe learned something.

Good father's day!

17. TylerDurden

Jan 27, 2005
    Ether
    There's avoiding confrontation and there's being a chump.

Thanking someone for returning the stuff you caught him stealing from you is the latter.

18. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

May 13, 2007
    Arizona Oven
    ...and there's a time and a place to put your ego aside. I hope he will put his kids safety and well-being above his own anger next time.

19. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Apr 22, 2007
    Utah
    I wasn't picking a fight. I was angry because it was obvious thievery. Like I say, I should have kept my mouth shut. A mistake made by letting my emotions get the best of me.

20. TylerDurden

Jan 27, 2005
    Ether
    I don't have any out of the way places big enough for my ego.