close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Man Shot With His Own Gun

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by twag4, Feb 6, 2012.

1. twag4

twag4

Feb 28, 2010
    Alabama
    In my town, a man went out of his house armed with a hand gun to find a thief trying to break into his car. He was holding the thief at gun point until police arrived. According to the newspaper, a scuffle ensued, the thief took the gun away from the man, and shot the man in the hand, leg, and abdomen. No kidding! The neighborhood is probably a mile away from my house. My wife was working at the computer, I was in bed, and she came and told me she heard three gunshots. She said the first two were close together, and the third was a couple of seconds later. Why would he let an unarmed man approach him in such a way so as to lose control of his firearm? Seems to me, don't bring it out if you aren't going to use it. I believe he would be justified in shooting the thief if the thief was advancing on him. We have castle law and stand your ground law here in Alabama. The thief was caught and is facing attempted murder charges. The man is in the local hospital and will recover. This is why I carry and why I won't draw unless I am prepared to use. I would have fired at the thief once he charged at me such as in this case. He wouldnt have had a chance to get close enough to take my gun. What do you think?

http://www2.dothaneagle.com/news/2012/feb/02/1/enterprise-man-shot-during-vehicle-break-ar-3159017/

2. Bucky89

Bucky89

May 21, 2010
    Midwest
    Perhaps he didn't carry one in the chamber and the time it took to cock the weapon gave the criminal the time to grab it?

Or maybe he forgot to take the safety off?

Who knows.

Edit: I think it's funny that this board does not censor the word "cock" but the medical term for male genitalia is censored.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

3. twag4

twag4

Feb 28, 2010
    Alabama
    I have to think if he came out of his house with his gun, he would have it ready to fire. But you could be right. If he was unwilling to fire for just a car, that could be the case. Locked and loaded would be my choice. My glocks dont have that safety problem to worry about. No unnecessary hastles in a stressful situation are good I think.

4. I0WA

I0WA

Feb 1, 2012
    Eh, doesn't matter IMO. He should have just called the cops. The car isn't worth taking a life over. And as the rule goes, if you point it, you had better be ready to shoot. I'm glad he made it though, that's a relief.

5. Teej

Teej

Oct 16, 2008
    Practice, practice and more "self defensive shooting" instruction practice.

Unfortunately the majority purchasing a firearm for self defense "might" take a basic safety class and shoot some basic paper targets. I would wager an extremely high percentage have not had any self defense scenario training.

When the nerves kick in, the adrenal stress dump floods the body thinking is impared unless someone is properly trained to react and how to react during an emergency situation.

Prayers out to the man and his family.

6. I0WA

I0WA

Feb 1, 2012
    Much truth to that. You sort of have to know how to deal with the adrenaline, and those that don't have it often, and no familiarization skills to fall back on, it could lead to "brain dead" moments. Or perhaps, he just didnt have the nerve. :dunno:

7. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    He may have broken the law anyway. A lot of states have laws against pulling a gun to protect property. Like in FL, you couldn't do this. Holding him at gun point? Another bad decision.

8. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    I love the "Let the criminal get what ever he want mentality" . The guy should have shot the prep then called the cops! Don't pull it unless your going to use it!:faint:

9. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy

Mar 29, 2008
    THe man (with the gun) should have stayed inside his house and called the police.

Had he shot and unarmed man, even though the man was trying to steal his car he would proabably would have went to jail.

When you approach someone with a gun and attempt to subdue them until the police arrive you force them to make one of thre possible choices:
    1. Comply with your order and get on the ground.
    2. RUN (then what do you do?)
    3. Fight (now you're knee deep in doo-doo!)

Even though the man was shot he's probably much better off than he would have been if he had shot or killed the man who claims was attempting to steal his car.

I hope he fully recovers.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

10. Holy crap dude read your statutes. You just embarrassed us down here. We are proud of our castle doctrine and other firearms laws. The only thing we don't have going for us is open carry. Lethal force to protect life and property of ourselves and others.

/

11. Zeroskillet

Zeroskillet MIA 305

Dec 13, 2007
    Miami, FL
    I agree...the car no matter what it is or has in it(aside from people) is junk as far as Im concerned in comparison to someone's life.

So I take it he is alive? Imagine how bad is could have been, he is lucky the thief did not take the oppurtunity to ran sack the house and possibly kill/injure people inside(ie kids and wife)

12. eclark53520

eclark53520

Feb 12, 2007
    WI
    If you're in the house and they are not, you do not leave the house.(assuming no one you need to protect is outside). He failed this rule miserably.

If they gain access to the house, you shoot. Otherwise, you wait for the cops.

That said, how the home owner allowed the perp to get close enough to get in a 'scuffle' while he was armed is beyond me.

13. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Aug 20, 2010
    Out On The Tiles

That about sums it up.

14. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

Maybe he advanced on the perp and held his gun against them, you know, like they do on TV.

15. Zeroskillet

Zeroskillet MIA 305

Dec 13, 2007
    Miami, FL
    ditto.

If you're holding someone at gun point till help arrives you have to leave some buffer or cushion between yourself and the perp.

16. deputy1199

deputy1199

Feb 2, 2012
    Or maybe he got too close to the thief he was trying to control. He could have held the guy at gunpoint without getting close enough to allow a struggle, which is exactly what happened. Only a LEO with training and proper restraints (handcuffs) should ga suspectet within arms reach of a suspect in such a situation.

17. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Aug 20, 2010
    Out On The Tiles
    He should have just come out shooting like crazy into the air. Maybe the bad guy would have run off. You can do that right? :dunno:

18. twag4

twag4

Feb 28, 2010
    Alabama
    I understand the "call the police and stay in the house" mentality, but I bet most of you wouldn't actually do that. Replacing a stolen car would not be a pure insurance will cover it event. There is always the deductible, the book value vs the value of the vehicle to replace, the time and trouble. Not only that, if the car is in the driveway then the thief was trespassing. It is criminal trespassing when the intent to break and enter or commit theft is there. I would confront anybody messing with my property. I would do it without revealing the firearm, but I would do it none the less. If the guy ran away then it is a win. If the guy advances towards me, then his loss. If he complied then even better. Probably a baseball bat would have been more suitable to threaten the thief. And yes, the homeowner/car owner is recovering. I guess he should have parked his car in the garage. He is allowed to protect his property. Then if his life is threatened in the process, he can protect himself. The police probably wouldnt get there in time to prevent the theft.

19. packsaddle

packsaddle

Jan 15, 2009
    too many people think pointing a gun at a thug equals immediate compliance.

as a law enforcement officer, i can tell you that is absolutely not true.

if a thug will fight an leo at gunpoint, do you really think a thug is going to comply with an ordinary citizen?

folks, there's some really evil people out there.

20. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    The thought of the insurance company giving ME a check for once.... I'm not sure I want to risk my life to prevent that....

Randy