close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Man arrested in CO for taking gun into theater

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by firefighter4215, Jul 30, 2012.

1. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

Nov 2, 2009
    Kentucky
    I didn't see any other threads on this.

A man was arrested and nine theaters were evacuated after someone carried a gun into a multiplex in Colorado, police said.

Read more: http://wcpo.m0bl.net/r/1529g7

2. Guess he's of the "if it's legal, it's always appropriate" school.

3. Glock_9mm

Glock_9mm

Jul 10, 2012
    California
    I have to believe that openly carrying in Colorado in a movie theater was not the best choice given what recently happened. I don't understand why he didn't carry concealed especially since he had a permit.
    Scott

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  4. Chris Chris

Chris Chris

Jul 2, 2010
    Florida
    Given that the Olympics are underway, I'll play Judge and hold up a card that reads "9.8" in the stupid/arrogant gun owner games.

His actions may have been legal. But, given current circumstances, how stupid does one have to be to open carry in a Colorado theater? Geez... maybe there are some people that shouldn't be allowed to carry a gun in public.

5. Jagged

Jagged

Jan 3, 2012
    SWVA
    One of the articles said that he was arrested for carrying in a beer & liquor establishment. Was he at a movie theater that serves? Is it illegal to carry at places that serve in CO?

But then, an article mentions that "technically" he was arrested for carrying in a manner that caused alarm and fear for others.

Maybe it was the police response that induced panic instead of dispatchers telling the callers that what he's doing is completely legal?

6. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    So he was arrested for LEGALLY carrying his firearm? Just goes to show the anti-gunner scream and the police JUMP! So screaming "A man has a gun" in a crowded theater is legal ! But screaming "Fire" isn't? I should hope all charges will be dropped !:steamed:

Yea it's to bad no one in Aroura had been carrying that night! Mabe so many people wouldn't have died needlessly!:faint: Think maybe Holmes would have rethought his plans if he had seen 10 OCer's in that theater?:upeyes:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  7. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

Nov 2, 2009
    Kentucky
    Your comparison is like someone screaming "fire" because someone is lighting a cigarette. It's only illegal if there is no fire. The man should've used at least one iota of common sense with this situation. He didn't do any of us any favors, and certainly didn't help the OC crowd. I'm not an OC person myself, but am a fan of the option. Regardless, legal doesn't = appropriate.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. Redheadhunter21

Redheadhunter21

May 6, 2012
    Miami
    See I guess I look at this differently to me this would be the time to stand up for your right to protect yourself. And he showed it by openly carrying a handgun, now a semi-auto riffle would be the dumbest thing.

9. JW1178

JW1178

Jul 17, 2009
    What exact law did he break?

If he broke the law and it was an arrestable offence, it's one thing, but if it's just to appease the panic-prone, the LEO that did the arrest should be terminated.

10. dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Jun 15, 2011
    I agree it is time to stand up for our right to protect ourselves and our loved ones. However, to walk into a theater with a visible firearm of any kind a week after 70 people were shot in a theater, in the same state, well that is foolishness at best. It also suggests nothing more than attention seeking. Pretty juvenile if you ask me.

He asked for trouble and got it. Legal or not. He may claim he was standing up for his rights, I'm not buying it.

11. Glock_9mm

Glock_9mm

Jul 10, 2012
    California
    By what I read above, it appears that this theater sells alcohol somewhere on the premises. I know certain states have specific rules about carrying openly or concealed in an establishment that serves alcohol.
    Scott

12. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    It is legal to carry in establishments, restaurants serving alcohol.

13. gunowner1

gunowner1

Jul 11, 2011
    Jensen Beach
    Concealed carry could have prevented this.....

14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    but.. "ITS MY RIGHT!" :director:

+1

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    So could common sense.

Man, you rolled off some zingers in this thread..

Good post :thumbsup:

IGF

16. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Yeah, because the threat of 100's of "open carriers" responding made him re-think his plan?

Come on.. Bottom line, I firmly believe this was a suicide mission. For whatever reason, be it the weapon malfunction, he lost his balls, or whatever, he didn't do it. It's the only reason there's going to be a trial in all this.

17. Chris Chris

Chris Chris

Jul 2, 2010
    Florida
    Yes, it could have. But, then again, that might have been too sensible, responsible, adult, descreet, and annonymous. You don't get noticed doing that. Ya don't get ta make yer statement :wow:!

My gut feeling is that the DA/State's Attorney... whatever they call the head prosecutor out in CO... is going to find 'something' to tag this 'gentleman' with. IMHO, he deserves to be tagged with something.... even if it's just a 1st degree misdeameanor stupid. I can't imagine any responsible person with a functioning brain thinking it would be "cool" to walk into a Colorado theater openly carrying a gun this week.

The only dumber move would be to loudly ask " When does the Batman flick start?!"

18. Bflying

Bflying

May 8, 2012
    Utah
    I'm not sure I'd go into a theater without a gun, but damn...conceal the thing.