close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Making the new gas cans easier to use

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by quake, Aug 7, 2014.

1. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Found this on youtube; a couple good, simple ideas to make the new epa-designed fuel cans less idiotic to use.

[ame="https:www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcnwdIYEfI"]User-friendly mods for new gas cans - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Love it! Thanks for sharing.

I'm off to autozone to grab some valve stems :supergrin:

3. I find the cans required by NYS law (for new purchases, but you can still buy the old kind at garage sales) spill and pollute more than the old ones did.

/Thanks government interference

4. "If you don't know what baling wire is, you probably shouldn't be doing this" :rofl:

5. pipedreams

pipedreams Member

Feb 19, 2011
    S. E. Iowa
    Here is the solution to those EPA idiot spouts.

http://ezpourspout.com/wp/

I bought a half dozen of these and they work great.
    Will fit most containers but not all.

6. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Yep... that one made my day :supergrin:

7. ScaryWoody

ScaryWoody

Apr 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Great video. I'm definitely going to mod my cans.

8. Patriot2

Patriot2

Aug 5, 2014
    Great info! Probably set the valve stem cap a little loose to avoid expansion pressure when not in use.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  9. Awesome!! Got a few cans to fix myself. Will be my weekend project.

10. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    Oh Damn. I don't use baling wire.

I use Galvanized Electric Fence wire in 1/4 Mile spools instead.

11. itstime

itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
  12. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Oct 25, 2008
    Discovering these years ago was life changing.

13. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
  14. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Same here; I grew up on a farm, but couldn't tell you what "baling wire" is. Our baler used twine, in spools about the size of a bucket.

Of course, this was when dinosaurs and hippies roamed the earth...

15. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    Why are we 17T in debt? Because of everyone from industry to gov to people that support the unbelievable idiocy of the new gas cans. Like anything was wrong with the old spouts.

Just had to buy a replacement spout to day for that over-engineered BS! &^%%^&^&^$!*^%$#%$@#$#@^%&%&*(^&$##@#@#^%$%#!@#!!!!!!

16. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan

Apr 6, 2013
    Indiana
    If you need a video to "fix" a GenX gas can, sorry, but you aren't going to survive Thursday let alone SHTF.

17. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Fair enough. Main thing I liked in it frankly was the valve stem idea; I hadn't thought of that. But do I 'need a video' to show me how to use (or improve) a bureaucrat-designed gas can? Of course not.

I don't need a video to teach me how to shoot a shotgun or field dress an animal; been doing both since the 70's. But as long as I accept that I'm not the only sentient, creative being on the planet, logic dictates that it would be a mistake to see myself as above learning from others, and videos are simply one handy medium for garnering ideas. I've watched videos that have shown me things that have helped me shoot a shotgun better, and introduced me to both simpler, and more advanced, ways of processing game.

That certainly doesn't mean I wouldn't survive Thursday if I hadn't watched those videos. It simply means that maybe Thursday can be a little simpler or more comfortable for having done so; and I'm not at all averse to that.

If you're the rare superhero that has nothing left to learn from others, you're clearly a much better man than I; and there are definitely better men than me out there. :wavey:

18. gnepig

gnepig Remember

Oct 13, 2009
    Fl
    Thanx for the vid Quake, never would have thought of the valve stem vent thing. I've had some of those around in the tool box for years... As far as the spouts go, the ones on my cans look more overly complicated than the one in the vid= still don't mean that they don't suck any less.