Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Making the case for the Mini 14

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by auto-5, Feb 25, 2012.

1. auto-5

Nov 13, 2011
    Ok I will be the first to admit in the 90's these guns were crap. but if you haven't shot one since them I think they are worth taking another look at.

No they are not tack drivers now but the thicker barrel seems to me to have solved the accuracy problems they once had. No not tack drivers but they are as accurate as an Ak

The action just freaking works. Unlike an Ar (which I think are great rifles) you don't have to clean it after a couple hundred rounds. This gun loves living behind the seats of pickups.

There light as hell. Under 7lbs unloaded. The stock also fits human size people unlike the Ak (which I also think is a great rifle). No there original stock isn't tacticool but they point really well.

And finally they cost several hundred less that a colt 6920. Anyway I think they are at least worth taking a second look at.
  2. bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    Edit to be nice. OP the AR platform does not require frequent cleaning to be reliable.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012

3. cyphertext

Jan 6, 2004
    Be nice...everyone is entitled to their opinion...

I believe what bmoore was trying to say is that you are mistaken about the AR. The AR does not need to be cleaned after a couple of hundred rounds...closer to a couple thousand.

The AR can also be light...or you can put every tactical doo dad on it and make it weigh as much as you want.

And while the Mini 14 may be less expensive than a Colt, there are other options in the AR world that are even less than the Mini 14, such as the S&W M&P 15 Sport.

Ruger missed their chance with the Mini 14. Had they made high cap magazines available, I think they would have been more popular. You can make a mini into a decent shooter, but still no match for an AR.
  4. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    As the owner of both a new production Mini 14 ranch rifle and AR15s I would say the Mini 14s holds its own as far as reliability and dare I say accuracy. My Mini 14 will group under 2 inches at 100 yards with a 4x scope if I do my part, more than accurate enough for social work!

The Mini 14 is the perfect option for someone who needs a semi auto rifle, but does not want the tactical look. Its a perfectly good rifle for the property owner or rancher to defend his property with from two or four legged trouble makers.

That said the AR15 is much more flexible, it can be more accurate, much more accurate with high end barrels, and its easy to fix and get spare parts for.
  5. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    The mini is a great rifle for those who can't afford a good AR-15, or don't have a need for what the AR brings to the table.

Its less accurate, and in my experience, less reliable under duty conditions and hard shooting, than a properly built, and maintained quality AR. It also takes magazines that are harder to find, and more expensive than AR mags.

That said, its not a bad rifle, if you don't need rails, or any of the like, or if you just want a rifle to throw behind the truck seat, its a handy little rifle that does what it was intended to do. Kill pest/varmit sized animals out to 250-300m. Its also a light recoiling, fun shooting little gun.

I don't own one, nor do I really have a need for one, but I do admit I'd like to pick up a target model, and one of the x39 ranch rifles just for grins.
  6. mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    I grew up on my dads 1980's pencil thin barrel model. Yeah we watched the A-Team together every week it was on lol.

I just bought a brand new 580 series tactical a few weeks ago and love it.

I make it look like a poor mans ACR when I get bored with the rifle stock.
  7. Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    I think the Mini is a classic American made rifle that serves in it's role extremely well. A great all around utility rifle. :) All things being equal I think someone who prefers the Mini over the AR is well armed indeed. I prefer the AR but would not feel under equipped with the Mini.

I only wish I was good enough to blame the platform for any lack of accuracy :rofl: It seems a lot of the accuracy comparison between the two are done from the bench which is fine all things being equal. I would think whichever platform the shooter can shoot better offhand (which I think is more "real world" important than bench shooting) should be a big deciding factor. I do not own a Mini as I prefer the AR (building my 3rd) but would like to own a Mini someday. :wavey:
  8. I like black

I like black

Apr 12, 2010
    Ruger is solid and I would own a mini-30 in SS no problem:supergrin:

9. stopatrain

stopatrain Lifetime Member

Aug 28, 2005
    I like the Mini for the job it does do well. I understand it's not a sniper rifle.
  10. JK-linux

Mar 5, 2009
    I would not like to be shot with a Mini-14 any more than with an AR-15. Buy what works for you. People have been killing stuff with both for years, so I'm sure either one will get the job done for your average Joe Armchaircommando.
  11. humanguerrilla

Jul 25, 2006
    the woods
  12. Eurodriver

Sep 11, 2010
    Unless you simply want the nostalgia of having a Mini14/M14 lookalike in 5.56mm, it just doesn't make any sense to get one.

They "may be" as accurate as a run of the mil AR now, Ruger finally (after 30 years) started putting chrome lined barrels on their Mini14s but...its still a Mini14 with all the limitations of mounting optics and other accessories that the AR platform doesn't suffer from.

Plus, like was mentioned earlier. AR mags are $8 a piece. Mini 14 mags are what? $20? $30?

Plus, its a freaking Ruger and Bill Ruger can be desecrated in his grave for all I care. The only thing good out of that company is the Redhawk (which still can't compete with the S&W equivalent), their .22 pistols, and the 10/22.
  13. turbobrick

May 26, 2008
    Carson City, NV
    I really liked my Mini GB, it was an absolute blast to shoot, and was quite accurate after tons of money in trigger work and bedding the stock. But Ruger won't sell you firing pins, and the pins need to be fitted to the rifle. I can fix anything on my ARs without sending it to anyone, so I ended up selling the Mini.
  14. Frog1

Aug 28, 2009
    They are much better than they were. I think they are a good alternative to the AR and the AK. The mini thirty and 6.8 spc are good idea's.
  15. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    Exactly, thats one of the reasons I like AR15s more. A broken firing pin takes 1 minute to replace.

Break a firing pin on your Mini and you have to ship your gun to Ruger, your not going to see it for weeks. In a SHTF situation, UPS or FedEx or Ruger CS aren't going to be operational. In other words, your Mini breaks, you might as well throw it away.

The Mini is good for what it is, a consumer sporting rifle. A AR15 is a combat rifle, tried and true.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  16. Boats

Boats Not Assimilated

Dec 22, 2002
    Somewhere in Oregon
    What combat has the AR-15 seen?

Most "civilian" AR rifles aren't even up to the fairly pedestrian mil-spec standard.
  17. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

May 15, 2011
    Never broke a firing pin in a Ruger. But I have shot the Mini till the stock was smoking. Didn't clean it, and went out and did it again the next day. I have a pile of mags for it and didn't pay a premium price for them. I shopped around. I have an AR too. A 6721. I don't think I will be shooting it till the stock melts though.
  18. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Jul 13, 2003
    It's a good utility rifle in my opinion. Probably, sooner or later I will buy one. I checked few of the new ones at the local stores and talked with one owner. It's not the AR and it doesn't have to be one. It serves its purpose very well. I have no idea about the older versions though, but from what I've heard the new one is pretty decent in terms of accuracy.
  19. mongo356

Aug 18, 2004
    I like the mini, course I may be biased I still need to take my new mini to the range.

Supposedly as long as you use boxer primed ammo firing pin problems are rare. Same w/ Ruger mags and having any jams.

I notice they don't sell rebuild kits for the mini....must be a reason for that. No matter AR or mini you have a parts failure it's not like you can call a time out anyway.

Ar15 or mini they do the same job, pick the one you like and go for it.
  20. QNman

QNman resU deretsigeR Silver Member

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    I WANT to love the mini. I really do. But I've owned two of the newer models and have never kept them very long. I shoot better with my AR's, parts for all AR's are easy to obtain and to install myself, and each AR can be something entirely different than the original. I inevitably end up selling the mini to sink the money into my AR's.

They are nice rifles - I just prefer my AR's.