close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Making Police Officers wear Cameras

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by EOS, Aug 20, 2014.

1. EOS

EOS

May 30, 2012
    Central Kentucky
    This is something that seems to be gaining ground in a few areas. And I can't help but think it would solve a lot of problems.

It would sure clear up the obscurity of the Ferguson, MO incident and would make the situation much less volatile if the officer was indeed justified in the shooting because he would have irrefutable proof of it. I see no negatives. Anyone else?

2. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Sep 6, 2001
    What about the camera crew for the COPS TV show? They'll become unemployed if we do what you suggest. :whistling:

I'm all for individual and dash cams initially, trying to think of the downsides now. I mean, everyone else in the USA has a camera on or with them apparently, why not the Coppers?

Downsides... bad lighting in some instances and more crap for a Cop to wear or to have break at the wrong time? :dunno:

3. EOS

EOS

May 30, 2012
    Central Kentucky
    Reasonable thoughts.

Dashcams can't catch every altercation or incident. Especially if the officer moves away from the front of his car. Maybe they could mount 360 degree cameras on top of the car, like the Google Earth cars or something?

And with modern technology cameras can be made as small as the button on a shirt, certainly unobtrusive.

4. TK-421

TK-421

Oct 12, 2012
    Pflugerville, TX
    I don't see how equipping every cop with a body cam could be a bad thing, presuming we can find a way to fund said camera purchases without negatively affecting anything else on their budget.

5. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    I bet the unsolved rate goes up.

It's bad enough wading into a crowd asking "Did anybody see anything?" I can't imagine what it would be like with a camera on your head.

6. Mahalo_.32

Mahalo_.32 Patriot

Oct 3, 2009
    The Desert
    Personally, I feel it will help both sides be a little more patient with one another. Many LEOs get a bad wrap just because of their job and some have taken the badge to a level of absolute superiority!
    Officers encounter some of the nastiest, ignorant, malicious and vicious kinds of people and I feel these cameras will help in many ways such as, the interview process and conclusions.... Of course video tends to catch things often overlooked. I know the use of cameras will automatically catch the demeanor of everyone involved.
    I praise all LEOs out there making a difference, doing the job. You guys and gals rock!

7. Burque-IL

Burque-IL Former Grunt

Apr 29, 2014
    New Mexico / Illinois

Have to agree heavily with that statement, though I also think ALL U.S. LEOs need to wear very low profile cameras anytime they are on the job.

Lot's of great Coppers out there..but there's also quite a handful of Constitution ignoring SCUMBAGS who need to be held accountable.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  8. ancient_serpent

ancient_serpent

Jun 6, 2008
    We've asked for them in my department. Unfortunately, the idea was shot down, at least for the time being. I don't remember the exact number, but somewhere around 96% of officers are exonerated when a use of force incident resulting in an investigation is recorded.
    We want them, just have to convince tax payers it's worthwhile.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Taser has a system built in to Oakley sunglasses. I went to a presentation on it last year. I don't recall them saying how it works at night or whether people objected to wearing Oakley sunglasses 8 hours a day.

I thought the head cams were a good idea on Death Valley (MTV series, 2011).

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Unedited camera footage just about always shows the officer to be right and complaining witnesses to be outright liars. When the public is taking the video, however, we only see the ones that they think go against the police and, of course, those are the only ones the anti-police nuts on GT have ever seen to base their opinions on - that 1 in a million bad video is all they know.

11. callihan_44

callihan_44 INFIDEL

Aug 19, 2010
    Flyover,USA
    we are being watched enough already, I think cameras on cops fulltime would spawn a hoard of cameras everywhere beyond what we already have.

12. I'm in favor of body cams. But not all police calls happen on public streets. A lot of calls (such as domestic calls) involve going into people's homes. What is once seen cannot be unseen. So that needs to get resolved.

13. That's very, very true.

And not only cameras on cops, but also on other workers who have to deal with the public, such as social workers, those who investigate allegations of child mistreatment, even teachers/principles who meet with parents angry over why little Johnny isn't getting promoted... Tape everything.

14. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    Mother reacts to death notification of son, age 7.
    Horrors of rape come to small town; victim describes being beaten, sodomized.
    Pillars of community in drunken domestic fight.

Film at 11.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  15. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Jan 18, 2001
    Go for it. The taxpayers will foot the bill and the videos will be real eye openers for the American people.

Like this one:

< warning-graphic footage>

[ame]http://youtu.be/8bZ8Vk9hzYo[/ame]

16. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Jan 18, 2001
    Why not? How about video cameras in the mayor's office and the judge's chambers. They work for the people too.

17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    The judge is already recorded.

18. EOS

EOS

May 30, 2012
    Central Kentucky
    All the more reason to have cameras. It will vindicate the just party, cop or citizen.

Incidents like Ferguson would be a thing of the past.

19. I don't think it will fully be a thing of the past because no body cam is 360x360. And what you don't capture on video, agitators are going to make up malicious lies as to why it was "intentionally" not videoed.

And the use of body cams inside a house/residence should be allowed also.

20. Cambo

Cambo

Jun 19, 2006
    Texas
    Since the majority of cops do a good job, I look forward to thug families being proved wrong. They will get to see the savagery that their offspring commits and why they deserved to get arrested, injured, etc. I also look forward to race hustlers like Sharpton and Jackson being put of business for good.