close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Making Ballistic Gel for Testing:

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by tdc57, Oct 13, 2009.

1. tdc57

tdc57
    Expand Collapse

Hey guys!.. I’m thinking about making some ballistic gel for testing the different rounds and calibers I have.. :cool:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    As I understand it there are basically two ways to do / achieve this.:whistling:<o:p></o:p>

http://www.customcartridge.com/pdfs/BallisticGel.pdf <o:p></o:p>
    • Buy (true) ballistic gel @ $300 for 25lbs <o:p></o:p>
    • Add some Cinnamon oil (for clarity) <o:p></o:p>
    • Boil, mix, stir, cool, etc. etc.. <o:p></o:p>

http://www.myscienceproject.org/gelatin.html <o:p></o:p>
    • Use one pound of regular gelatin powder for every one gallon of water <o:p></o:p>
    • Stir the powder in carefully, trying to moisten all of the granules without adding too much air to the mixture<o:p></o:p>
    • Set the gel mixture in the refrigerator to chill and hydrate (a process known as “blooming”) for two hours.<o:p></o:p>
    • Set the gelatin over a pan of water and heated it until it melted. A candy thermometer was used to make sure the gelatin mixture didn’t get hotter than 130 degrees. During the melting process, we stirred carefully to minimize air getting trapped in the gelatin<o:p></o:p>
    • Use specially constructed 6” x 6” x 16” molds coated inside with silicone spray for easy release.<o:p></o:p>
    • The gel was set to chill in the refrigerator for 36 hours before use. We carried it to the testing site in insulated containers and unmolded it before testing.<o:p></o:p>
    My question to the team is has anyone ever tried either of these methods?? If so what are you thoughts (is it worth it) did it work as you expected it too? Or am I just wasting my time??. :dunno:<o:p></o:p>
    Thanks for your time team and have a great one everybody!.. :wavey:<o:p></o:p>

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 tdc57, Oct 13, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  2. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

EHH... I'm not going to say it would be a waste of time but regardless of what you decide to do. You will need a control and a means of establishing it. That sort of research is already done for you in most cases buy funded labs of manufacturers. Now if you want to see how your cast bullets expand in comparision to factory loads at the same power factor in your own reloads. I would say the old wet newpaper milk gallon jug trick is a fair comparision. You can even wrap them in old denim or t-shirts to add to the simulation. Just my two bits...

3. tdc57

tdc57
    Expand Collapse

Well my thinking was to more or less use it for my .50 Beowulf (400gr &#8211; 600gr) rounds.:50cal: I would like to know the difference a 600gr bullet makes vrs a 400gr bullet.. I&#8217;ve already blown up cinder blocks, watermelons, etc, etc..

[​IMG]
    That was 2 blocks, the first one totally disincarnated and the can blowup from shrapnel / debris LOL.. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>

But with Ballistics gel I can see what kind of damage it would cause in a human or animal.. Not that I&#8217;m planning on shooting either one, but I think the cavity it would create alone would be at least picture worthy.. :cool:<o:p></o:p>
    Ballistics wise my 400gr rounds are shooting @ 1629 fps with a kinetic energy of 2359 fp :wow: so I can compare them to my 500gr & 600gr bullets and see what&#8217;s what.. <o:p></o:p>

#3 tdc57, Oct 14, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  4. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

MAN :shocked:.50 Beowulf??? that's going to take a LOOOOONG tray of gel I would imagine.

5. tdc57

tdc57
    Expand Collapse

:whistling: Well they say a rifle block should be 8”x8”x36” and a pistol block should be 8”x8”x24” and I’ll never know without giving it the old Glock talk go/ try.. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    The largest thing I’ve shoot it through so far is a 12” telephone pole (scrap piece) and it punched right though it..:supergrin: So I really don’t know if it will work??.:dunno: But I’m willing to try it if I can find out this method of making the gel will work.. :)<o:p></o:p>

6. havensal

havensal
    Expand Collapse
    Nozzle Jockey
    CLM

<--- Has strong suspicion that 8"x8"x36" block will look much like the watermelon above. :wavey:

7. ron59

ron59
    Expand Collapse
    Bustin Caps

If he's punching through 12" telephone poles... then I agree 100%. There won't be a solid hunk of gel sitting there, it'll be "blowwwwnnnnn UP, sir!" (think Billy Murray in Stripes).

8. tdc57

tdc57
    Expand Collapse

Ok&#8230; It Friday night and let the fun begin.. Please note!! This is my first attempt at anything like this so I might fail miserably or I might succeed, either way we&#8217;ll find out together.. (Wish me luck!).. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    The beginning:<o:p></o:p>
    After an exhausting search on the web review different molds, cast and just about everything else I could find I made up my shopping list and headed out with my kids to have some fun (dad&#8217;s style) and here is what we ended up with. <o:p></o:p>
    5 lbs of molding plaster <o:p></o:p>
    3 hard resin skulls <o:p></o:p>
    1 pig hart <o:p></o:p>
    1 pig brain <o:p></o:p>
    1 bag of plastic eyeballs <o:p></o:p>
    2 cartons of Knox unflavored gelatine (64) total packages <o:p></o:p>
    1 Round plastic tube measuring 8&#8221; x 8&#8221; x 24&#8221; ($9.00 at Michaels) <o:p></o:p>
    1 cardboard box 12&#8221; x 9&#8221;x 18&#8221; <o:p></o:p>
    2 rolls of resin tape <o:p></o:p>
    3 rolls of painters tape <o:p></o:p>
    1 can of Pam <o:p></o:p>
    1 small bottle of cinnamon leaf oil (anti foaming agent) <o:p></o:p>
    1 Bottle of Vodka <o:p></o:p>
    1 gallon of OJ <o:p></o:p>
    After watching several video of &#8220;myth busters and ultimate warrior&#8221; I decided to make 3 different types of ballistic molds to shoot up with my .50 Beowulf <o:p></o:p>
    1. 2 round 8&#8221; x 24&#8221; cylinders <o:p></o:p>
    2. 3 human heads <o:p></o:p>
    3. 1 upper body torso <o:p></o:p>
    To help achieve my goal (Tools wise) I&#8217;ll be using the following <o:p></o:p>
    1 extra large (46 gallon) cooler 16&#8221; x 18&#8221; x 36&#8221; (for cooling / setting and storing the ballistic jell <o:p></o:p>
    Several bowls from the kitchen (don&#8217;t tell the wife!) <o:p></o:p>
    A drill with a whisk attached (for mixing) the jell <o:p></o:p>
    A hobby scale of measuring out my plaster and Jell <o:p></o:p>
    A candy thermometer to ensure I don&#8217;t heat up the jell past 106 degrees <o:p></o:p>
    Some knife&#8217;s & scissors <o:p></o:p>
    Vinyl gloves <o:p></o:p>
    P.S. <o:p></o:p>
    I still need to pickup the following items to complete the project: <o:p></o:p>
    &#8226; 10 bags of ice <o:p></o:p>
    &#8226; A bottle of fake blood <o:p></o:p>
    &#8226; TBD (things I cant think of right now) <o:p></o:p>
    Starting the process:<o:p></o:p>
    I&#8217;m starting out with the head and a large screwdriver (70 % Vodka and 30% OJ) <o:p></o:p>
    My task / requirement here is a make a plaster mold from the skulls that I can use to make the shape and size of the head of course I&#8217;ll need to hollow out the skull add the brain and then insert the piece into the mold once the jell has been mixed up and is ready to pour.. <o:p></o:p>
    Step one.. Making the plaster mold for the head: <o:p></o:p>
    I take one of the skulls and I need to add approximately 2&#8221; around it so I can achieve a mold that will allow approximately 2&#8221; of jell for this task I&#8217;m going to be adding the resin tape to the exterior the skull adding approximately 2&#8221; to the totally mass. I need to make sure that I still keep the basic shape of the head so I&#8217;ll be pressing the tape to the skulls and trying to keep the same basic shape throughout this process. <o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]]<o:p></o:p>

#8 tdc57, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  9. tdc57

tdc57
    Expand Collapse

OK.. One roll and one screwdriver down, lets start on the second roll and the second screw driver.. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

[​IMG]

Halfway done with the second roll and the 2nd screwdriver (note) getting harder to type.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#9 tdc57, Oct 17, 2009
  10. eXistenZ

eXistenZ
    Expand Collapse
    Play it.

I haven't had a screwdriver in ages...mmmm, yummy!

11. tdc57

tdc57
    Expand Collapse

OK&#8230; Now the second roll and drink is completed. It&#8217;s coming long nicely so far (I think) IDK. LOL.. [​IMG]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

[​IMG]

Cool&#8230; I&#8217;ve now successfully downed two screwdrivers and have wrapped the skull with two rolls of resin tape, now I need to wrap the skull with painter tape so I have a smooth service to place in the plaster mold and start on my 3rd drink.. <o:p></o:p>

[​IMG]

OK&#8230; I&#8217;ve completed the basic size of the skull ie (3 rolls and 3 drinks) done / down and I'm now ready for the molding phase..

Hey, <o:p></o:p>
    I&#8217;m sorry guys, but It&#8217;s late... I&#8217;m trashed [​IMG] and going to bed..

#11 tdc57, Oct 17, 2009
  12. tdc57

tdc57
    Expand Collapse

PLEASE Stay tuned for tomorrows update as I attempt to make a plaster mold of the head and start on the body mold and continue and my way through the process..
    Have a great one [​IMG]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    TDC...

13. ronterry

ronterry
    Expand Collapse
    ERB#1

Nice work Top Dead Center (TDC?)... Keep us abreast of your fine work here.

I would most certainly encase the gel in pine around the sides. That should hold it gel together, and probably could double as a mold.

BTW: I thought cali looked down on .50 Calibers!

Here's a lower I made just for the Beowulf :wow: Still saving for the upper :dunno:... I think I even bought 4# of Lil'gun for this beast... Looking forward to shooting her though! :supergrin:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. tdc57

tdc57
    Expand Collapse

OMG..:wow:. that is Bitshen!! to the tenth degree..:supergrin:. WOW.. verry cool.. can you do that to mine?? Please!.. :whistling:

I'm PM you in the morning..

Way cool Sir

Thank you sooooo much for sharing.. :drool:

have a great one Big guy..

TDC..

15. tdc57

tdc57
    Expand Collapse

Progress is moving along slower than anticipated / hoped.. Ooo well dad by day and mad builder by night is the life lead.. LOL.. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I started out today (with a slight hangover) LOL so after a good breakfast I went with the boy and did a little shopping. <o:p></o:p>
    3 rolls of plaster bandages <o:p></o:p>
    2 bottles of Vaseline <o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG] So now that the wife and kids are a sleep, I can pickup where I left off. <o:p></o:p>
    I noticed that I need to add more (gerth) to the head and I also needed to add a neck! (I don&#8217;t know what I was thinking last night!) [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>

16. tdc57

tdc57
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Ok now that I&#8217;ve achieved the proper size of the head and neck it was time to get the Vaseline out and coat the head and cardboard box (Vaseline) is required so the mold doesn&#8217;t stick (so they say and I&#8217;ll find out soon enough) <o:p></o:p>

17. tdc57

tdc57
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Cool now the head and the box are completed covered in Vaseline it was time to breakout the plaster.. Since I&#8217;ve never worked with it before this should be at least a learning experience for me.. I added the proper amount of water first (remember never pour water on powder! Always start with the fluids and then slowing add the mix) IMG! It&#8217;s not enough mix!.. [​IMG]&#8230; I&#8217;ve the box coated and if I don&#8217;t try something then I&#8217;ll lose the box and mix. After pouring the mix of plaster into the box (not a chance in hell!) DAM!! Not even enough to cover half the head (as I was hopping too on the worst case senerio). <o:p></o:p>
    FAIL&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;. [​IMG] OK now what!?. [​IMG] Well it was now time to start drinking and come up with a plan &#8220;B&#8221;.. <o:p></o:p>

18. tdc57

tdc57
    Expand Collapse

OK.. I have my plaster bandages that I was going to use for the upper torso mold so lets try these and see how they work.. I started by cutting them in strips 3&#8217; long (folded in 1&#8217; sections) cleaned out all of the initial plaster out of my bucket filled it with hot water and proceed to use the plaster cloth / bandages. This is kinda cool as it all new to me.. <o:p></o:p>
    I added the first strip of plaster cloth (foled one end over about ¾&#8221;) for the seam and begin to cover one side of the head.. DAM this stuff dryes FAST!.. It starts to tackup really quick here (so have everyting ready).. <o:p></o:p>

19. tdc57

tdc57
    Expand Collapse

Ok I&#8217;ve completed one side of the head (Hey this just might WORK!) Cool.. I&#8217;ve got probely 5 layers of plaster cloth on now (I have no idea how much is required) but this should might work.. (lets find out together).. LOL.. <o:p></o:p>
    OK.. Now after letting it sit to dry for an hour its time to start the second side of the head and time for another drink.. <o:p></o:p>
    Questions: <o:p></o:p>
    Do I pull off the first side of the plaster mold or do I apply the second side with an overlapping seam (??) IDK??? My gut tells me to leave on the first side (it&#8217;s dry and water shouldn&#8217;t affect now) Right?? Hahahahaaa who knows but its getting late, I&#8217;m on my second drink and (to be honest) I don&#8217;t really care at this point the worst things that happens is I just fail at everything tonight and start fresh tomorrow night.. So lets go with it and see what happens.. <o:p></o:p>

20. tdc57

tdc57
    Expand Collapse

Ok.. the second side of the skull is complete and now I just play the waiting game, drink my 2<SUP>nd</SUP> totty and plan my next steps (maybe refill my drink again) lol.. <o:p></o:p>
    Alright it&#8217;s the moment of truth, its time to separate the plaster molds from the head and see if they will work at molds for the gel. Removing the wrapping from the head and seeing how think I actually got it? and prepping the head for the gel. <o:p></o:p>