MAK90 questions

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by Sniperfox, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Sniperfox

Sniperfox Kopfjaeger

I have a Mak90 that I have had in my safe since the 90s when I bought it at Roses Department Store for $199.95 and with all the hoopla and panic going on right now, I am taking a good look at it. It has the thumbhole stock that everyone hates, but what can a guy do, right?
    Anyway, what I need to know is how can I tell by just looking at it without removing the stock if it's a stamped or milled receiver and if it's a slant cut or straight cut receiver? Do any of you guys have any pics that I can compare mine with?
    thanks

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    questions about my MAK90 The Kalashnikov Klub Jun 3, 2012
    Questions about my MAK90 The Kalashnikov Klub Sep 21, 2011
    couple of questions about mak90 The Kalashnikov Klub Aug 23, 2010
    First P-mag for my MAK90 The Kalashnikov Klub Mar 5, 2015
    WTS: Mak90 $795 Firearms Listings Dec 28, 2014

3. Patriot328

Patriot328 B756

Stamped should have riveting, no?

4. Sniperfox

Sniperfox Kopfjaeger

Riveting? I'm not sure what you are referring to. If you have some pics that I can compare with, it would be helpful.

5. Patriot328

Patriot328 B756

Mak90s are stamped

[​IMG]

#4 Patriot328, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  6. Pretty sure yours is stamped...the far majority were...this article says rivets are only on the stamped receivers.
    http://www.ak-47.net/ak-47/mak90.php

I'm pretty sure you need to take the stock off to tell whether it's a slant-cut or straight-cut receiver...but it's SUPER EASY to take off the stock--just pop off the dust cover, remove the spring and bolt assembly and then unscrew the long bolt underneath the handgrip...hopefully you have a straight-cut receiver...but if not you can still get various stocks/accessories as well as for milled receivers if you have one.

The modification options are endless! :) And it's fairly easy to do any mods and still be 922r compliant...
    [​IMG]

#6 Zeebra724, Feb 16, 2013
  7. Don't need to take stock off to tell if its straight or slant cut. Easiest way is to post a picture of it and someone will respond

#7 jjslice, Feb 16, 2013
  8. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member
    CLM

[​IMG]
    Milled Mak 90

[​IMG]
    Stamped Mak 90

Sniperfox,

The stock is very easy to remove to see the back of the receiver.

:cool:

#8 Glockdude1, Feb 16, 2013
  9. I think you if it has 1 screw in the tang it's a slant cut. If it's got 2 screws in the tang then it's straight-cut...not sure from the side profile though if you can tell...

#9 Zeebra724, Feb 16, 2013
  10. You can tell from the outside easily just by looking at it. Ones straight, ones slanted

11. That's what i was thinking too.:upeyes:

12. Sniperfox

Sniperfox Kopfjaeger

You can't see it with the thumbhole stock on it as it partially wraps around.

13. Glockdude1

CLM

No.

You have to take the stock off. Takes about 60 seconds if you take your time.

#13 Glockdude1, Feb 16, 2013
  14. Sniperfox

Sniperfox Kopfjaeger

15. Sniperfox

Sniperfox Kopfjaeger

Thanks. I'll check it when I get an opportunity. I posted a pic above for those that don't know what they are talking about but can't help themselves.

16. Glockdude1

CLM

When you get the stock off, compare it to my stamped Mak a few post up. Mine is a "straight cut" receiver.

17. Sniperfox

Sniperfox Kopfjaeger

I'll do it. thanks

18. Looks stamped to me...and I'm going to guess it has a straight-cut receiver, but you'll have to take the stock off to make sure :rofl:The far majority of the MAK90s are straight-cut...

19. Do you have a MAK90 slant-cut? If so, does your stock look any different than the pic posted above or below? I'm guessing not...you have to take it off to make sure...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3obH2WZilY"]MAK-90 Sporter - Shooting -- Disassembly (MAK90 7.62x39) - YouTube[/ame]
    (watch 11:50)

20. Tailhunter

Tailhunter Glockman

Wow, so many answers ... and so much ... well .... answers.

You have to take the stock off to tell, straight or slant.

The stamped MAK will have the mag well dimples and the milled will have the large machined area where the dimples would be. Pretty simple .....