MAK 90 Sporter really novice basic stock question..

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by swh_longhorn, Jan 20, 2013.

  1. I am a complete novice in the AK world and need some advise. I have a friend that has offered to sell me his MAK 90 Sporter AK 47 with the thumb hole stock. The price he is asking is very resonable.

    My questions are; 1. can the thumb hole stock be replaced with a traditional AK stock and pistol grip? And @. is this a particularly tricky deal to change out? Thanks.

    Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

    Similar Threads Forum Date
    Transporter - TV Series The Okie Corral Aug 18, 2015
    S&W M&P 15 Sporter Black Rifle Forum Aug 3, 2015
    Let's talk about the 6.5 Sporter(i.e. Grendel). Black Rifle Forum Jan 11, 2015
    1903 sporterized General Firearms Forum Jul 19, 2014
    Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sporter Black Rifle Forum Oct 2, 2013

  3. It's actually very simple to replace the stock, especially if you are just putting a regular AK stock on. I'm planning on replacing mine with a Magpul CTR stock with a buffer tube.

    After you your stock off (by just unscrewing the bolt underneath the grip and, after taking off the dust cover, the screw holding on the tang) see if you have a slanted or a straight receiver...plenty of youtube videos to help you out with that. That may determine which stock set you should buy, as well as whether you have a stamped or milled receiver--I'm sure yours is stamped.

    Have fun! I'm new to this AK stuff too, but I've started phase 1 of modifying my MAK90...mine's got a stamped receiver and my first phase was replace the handguards...




    #2 Zeebra724, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  4. Thanks for the info. I'm an old dinosuar and never think to check Youtube first. My wife calls it the "new" 911, lol.

    Nice looking rifle you have there. I think I will take my buddy up on his deal since it is way under today's market price.

    Thanks again.
  5. CJStudent

    CJStudent Fenced In

    Just make sure you have enough US-made parts in it to where it's 922(r) compliant before you swap the stock.
  6. Well.....


    Some Maks came with an open-backed reciever like a regular AK, and with some very minor fitting, (or even no fitting at all) , you can swap into a set of regular AK furninture;

    Some Maks, however, came with the reciever closed off at the back, so there's no way to fit a regular stock to it without cutting into the back of the reciever, which can be hard to do;

    And some Maks came with a closed-back receiver and a little cover plate on both sides, between the rear rivets; those Maks cannot be converted easily to a regular receiver, but they CAN be easily converted to be an underfolder; they have an underfolder trunnion, and the little round cover plates (which are easily removed) cover the holes for the underfolder stock pivot.

    The underfolder trunnion Maks are easy to pick out; just look for the cover plates; the others, you really need to take the thumbhole off to see which it is.
  7. Got my stock the Magpul CTR!



Share This Page

Duty Gear at CopsPlus