close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Main Battle Tanks

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by CatsMeow, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Hi all,

I presume that some of you are also armored vehicle enthusiasts, as shown by the previous thread "Marine LVTs". So I'm starting my own.
    :)

It is well-known that Germany is a left-hand-drive country, while Japan is right-hand-drive. And of course tanks are not supposed to roar down the highway on a regular basis. The mystery is, why is it that the German Leopard tank has the driver on the right side (right hand drive), while the Japanese Type 90 has the driver on the left (left hand drive)?:banana:

2. Don't know the answer to this, but many MBTs put the driver in the centerline, like the American M1, and the Russian T-72/80/90.

3. I forgot that the Scorpion tank is also LHD, while the United Kingdom, which makes it, is right-hand-drive.

With all due respect to the Philippine Army's armored units, if my car sounded as bad as the Scorpions I saw during a parade, off it goes to the shop.

4. atmarcella

atmarcella

Aug 27, 2004
    overwatch....
    it does not matter cos good tanks, the ones w/ gps, dont use roads, the moment they do...they die, just like what happened to saddams tanks during gulf war 1, they were all killed on the road!

btw, discovery channel says the best mbt is the leopard 2:thumbsup:

5. colt4ever

colt4ever

Dec 6, 2006
    Delano, CA
    I'm just wondering...do we have MBTs? our neigboring countries have it, why don't we have them, even a few perhaps?

6. chowchow

chowchow

Jan 15, 2007
    Houston
  7. bulm540

bulm540

Jun 18, 2004
    TN
    We had a couple of M 48s before.

8. bulm540

bulm540

Jun 18, 2004
    TN
    could be the location of the the tranny.

9. Couldn't be the tranny. They're at the rear, part of the powerpack, since the drive sprockets are at the rear, unlike World War II tanks like the Sherman and the Tiger, where the drive sprockets are at the front. Also, today's tanks use automatics.

On the issue of tank trannys, I read somewhere that the driver of a Russian T-34 had a sledgehammer handy, to "assist" in the shifting.

Anyway, if anybody knows somebody at Krauss-Maffei in Germany and Mitsubishi in Japan, or Alvis in the UK, now would be the time to ask.:)

On the issue of jungle fighting with tanks, I recommend Ralph Zumbro's book "Tank Sergeant". M48s were very effective in Vietnam, provided they work as a group and with infantry to keep the RPG gunners away. So there is no question that MBTs can be very useful here in our setting.

10. isuzu

isuzu

Jul 3, 2005
    North America
    The tank is essentially a mobile artillery, so the main concern when they designed the tanks was the turret area where the tank commander, loader and the gunner are stationed. Ammo was also located in that area. Any available space that the design had was for the driver's location. I've been inside a Canadian tank that was displayed during the Calgary Stampede, and even if it was a modern design, it was still cramped.

11. In the Alvis CVR-T Scorpion, there was no choice because the powerpack sat in front to the right of the driver. It was powered by a de-rated 4.2 liter 6-cylinder Jaguar sports car engine, making it one of the fastest tanks ever. The mystery is with the Leopard and Type 90, whose powerpacks are at the rear, like most MBTs, except for the Israeli Merkava. And the co-driver (or BoG) position went out with the exit of the M47 (M48/M60 predecessor).

I saw a picture of a LAV-25 8x8 APC used by the Australian army. The rear had a prominent sign "Caution: Left Hand Drive", similar to what we used to see with RHD trucks before the government forced their conversion to LHD.

Thailand has a lot of M48s and M60s, plus they were the only customer of the Cadillac Gage Stingray light tank. So, why not us?

12. atmarcella

atmarcella

Aug 27, 2004
    overwatch....
    hhhhmmmmm we dont have money....

hhhhhmmmmmm we are poor...

hhhhhmmmm we cant afford it....

pick any answer...im sure it will suffice:supergrin:

13. The manufacturers of the Leopard etc. did not offer Gen. Garcia enough of a kickback.

14. jerrytrini

jerrytrini

Sep 15, 2001
    19th Hole
    OFF TOPIC; which elected Senators are incorruptible? or better yet, who do you THINK would perform for the good of all.

15. Hmph, only voted for one (he made it). Hated the rest.

Anyway, M48s and M60s, as well as T-54/55s and Leopard 1s were available at give-away prices when the newer tanks came into service. A lot of countries such as Greece and Turkey benefited from this "cascading". In fact, it was this dirt-cheap and ready availability to the Brazilian Army, plus some corporate troubles, that killed Brazil's ENGESA and their promising Osorio MBT.

Perhaps the Yanks are still ticked off at us for kicking them out of Subic. This may be why our Air Force gets refurbished Hueys while Turkey gets the USMC's surplus (but still very deadly) AH-1 Cobras, or why Turkey and Greece gets the USN's retired frigates while we get one little Cyclone class patrol boat.

Geez, if one of our Asian neighbors decides to invade us, we'll be OVERRUN... We don't have anything in the inventory, on wheels or tracks, that will stop an MBT...:sad:

16. bulm540

bulm540

Jun 18, 2004
    TN
    We don't need MBTs, our soldiers need teh basic equipment. Our asian neighbors will not invade us, with a lot of good IPSC shooters sa pinas, takot sila :)

17. isuzu

isuzu

Jul 3, 2005
    North America
    Well, Turkey is a member of NATO. It gets priority and it was a staging area when the first Gulf War broke out. The newer equipment given to them were probably part of the arrangement.

Do we really need MBTs? I would say no. We need light tanks that could be quickly deployed, easily maneuverable and easier to maintain. MBTs are not suited for our terrain. Most battles take part in heavily forested areas, and in Vietnam, the MBTs were of no use to that particular terrain. It was the M113s, the V-150 Chaimites and their variants who penetrated the forests. The MBT's cannon would easily get tangled in the foliage, and it is cumbersome to maneuver in thick foliage.

Do we have the budget to sustain MBTs? I again say no. We had F8 Crusaders and they were scrapped by the PAF in the late 80's. For every hour the Crusader flew, it consumed fuel equivalent to 3 hours of flight of the UH-1H.

Would Asian or ASEAN neighbors invade us? Not unless we attacked them first. That's why there's the ASEAN. It was meant to foster unity among neighboring countries. If China ever invades us, it's a no contest. Offer the armored equipment as scrap; maybe they'll buy them.:supergrin:

18. bulm540

bulm540

Jun 18, 2004
    TN
    China won't invade us, they are basking in their economic prosperity. War is far from their minds, making lotsa money is.

19. Allegra

Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Philippines

we already sent letters to our Asian neighbors
    "Please invade us! and Bring your money! "
    So far , only Korea seemed intersted