close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Magpul PMAG for $59.95 Price Gouging?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Leper, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Leper

Leper

Dec 16, 2012
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/MAG-074

I've been trying to call them but can't get through yet. I saw this in relation to them suspending all online sales of firearms for the time being. Is it just me or does this seem like some opportunistic price gouging?

2. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    Any company that price gouges should be banned from ever getting any of our money again and make them aware of it.

3. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Its not gouging if someone will pay it. How many people will buy mags if they were offered at their old price and turn around and sell them for substantially more than what they paid? Is that gouging?

Markets work. Price competition works.

Just because you want something at a price you consider fair doesn't mean someone is obligated to provide you that good or service for that price.

If you bought a house for $150k and real estate prices skyrockted in your area and you could sell your house a year later for $300k would you sell it at market value or tell the buyer--don't worry, I can't take that much money for this house. I only aid $150 for it and I would be price gouging you if you paid $300k for my house... Of course not.

If the bottom fell out of the AR magazine market and they were selling for $5 instead of the $18 retail price the dealer expected to make on that inventory would you go back to him and say gee..I'm sorry...I know these magazines are selling for $5 everywhere and I know you were expecting $18 so I tell you what--I'll make up the difference and pay you the $18. No of course you wouldn't.

Yet when prices go up due to demand a dealer that raises prices and can make money is a gouger? No, of course not. He's a fool AND a bad businessman if he sells at the old price point. Because a bunch of you guys are going to buy as manay as you can and turn around and sell them on AR15 EE for way more than you paid. Not all of you. But enough that the dealer is left with empty shelves and lost revenue.

I say get all you can get. You aren't entitled to anything at any price just because you think you are. You should compete for goods in short supply with all the other buyers out there. If some of them are willing to offer more than you are then you either get out of the market or come up with the cash.

4. HexHead

HexHead

Jul 16, 2009
    I don't see it as gouging on something that's basically discretionary. Food, water, gas, building materials after a disaster is somethng else.

5. Gunny Lingus

Gunny Lingus Think it moved

Oct 21, 2001
    As I posted on the other thread, it's been 4 years since I've even considered doing business with CTD.

6. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

Aug 21, 2006
    Just OK
    Same with me, but they are free to charge what they want.
    I may not be happy and will vote with my dollars somewhere else, but they are free to do it.

7. It's called business 101, supply and demand.

Demand is high, supply is limited, prices go up.

They are only gouging the idiots that didn't stock up when prices were low. A month ago Pmags were $10 each, if you needed them why didn't you buy them then?

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

8. 03Cobra

03Cobra

Mar 21, 2010
    totally agree, it isn't like you have to have a pmag to live.

9. I wont ever buy from CTD again since they bowed down the media and political vultures...bunch of cowards running CTD.

Price gouging is just another reason to add to the list.

10. Pilotdude3407

Pilotdude3407

Nov 25, 2012
    West GA

Yes and no...while legally referring to things that people need in times of emergencies, it is still the same principal. THEIR cost did not go up, they are just doing this to take advantage of people and that is wrong. Gunbroker stuff doesn't bother me because you can bid and no one is setting a limit. I would have expected more out of such a huge online store. I also will not give them my business.

11. 03Cobra

03Cobra

Mar 21, 2010
    think of it this way, if they didn't raise prices, they would be sold out and you would have no option

12. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    Of course it's price gouging. That's how capitalism really works. Maximize profit. Take advantage of every opportunity to raise prices to the level that the market will bear.

Fleece the sheep.

Don't get me wrong, I feel no rancor for the gougers, and no pity for those who failed to grasp the simple fact that tragedies like the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary will happen, and that liberal scum in positions of power will always wash themselves in the blood of the victims to promote their gun-hating agendas.

If you haven't been buying guns, magazines, and ammo over the last five years, you haven't been paying attention.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  13. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Oct 16, 2008
    Missouri, East of KC
    Wow.
    After all the moaning about a new gun ban, you want to ban a company.

If you don't like them, don't shop there.

Just like, if you don't like an AR, don't buy one, but don't ban mine.

Let's lay off the ban word. Use 'choice", perhaps.

---------------------------------
    One other thought, look at it from their end:

They see their business probably taking a huge hit soon. They will probably never get to sell these items again after January.

Heck, their company may fold due to upcoming legislation. They will do what they can to survive.

I don't like it, but that is how "supply and demand" works.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  14. LL6

LL6

Feb 22, 2010
    Off I-40, NC
  15. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    CTD has been like that since at least 2008, nothing new from them. I like many have not given them a $1 since 08 and won't ever do so again. Too bad cause I like to support my Texas business.

16. camelotkid

camelotkid non-believer

Apr 27, 2009
    Oak Ridge, TN
    I overheard a guy that was in the process of buying 200 pmags at $15 a piece just so he could flip them after a ban, guy didn't even own an AR :steamed: I hope any possible ban gets shot down in the house and when it does I will think of this guy who just got stuck with 3000 dollars worth of mags to a gun he doesnt own and laugh.

17. supatrucka

supatrucka

Nov 5, 2010
    CT
  18. Dragline

Dragline

Nov 5, 2003
    Coastal SC
    Brownells is still accepting back orders for a 10 pack of Magpul 30rd. Pmags for $125 with free shipping using code DSR at checkout.

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/...black-10-pack-sku100-006-987-42583-79235.aspx

Will you actually receive it? I don't know, but you can put an order in if you want and they don't charge your CC unless the item ships so at $12.50 per mag it just might be worth placing an order.

19. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    Came up for $120.99 for me. Not as good as dsg's $111 shipped last week but I'll take it. Tossed in three Glock 22 mags as well. Whether there's a ban or not that's a good deal. That puts me 26 mags this month with the Battlemags I bought for the Troy. I'm good now and done.