close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Magpul MOE Install

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by HomeLandPatriot, Jan 18, 2010.

1. HomeLandPatriot

HomeLandPatriot
    Expand Collapse

Just installed a new Magpul MOE on my ddm4, and in the instructions, magpul says to not reuse the original screw in the grip. Well the screw magpul sent me was so junked up with loctite from the factory that it wouldn't go in, and I feared I was starting to hurt the threads on my lower.

Can any harm come from reusing the original hardware? if so, i'll go get another screw from lowes like the one magpul sent without all the dried loctite. The only difference between the screws is the magpul one was slightly shorter, but I don't see how this affects anything.

Input would be appreciated

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. AC45ACP

AC45ACP
    Expand Collapse

I used the DDM4v2 screw in my Miad.

3. JASV.17

JASV.17
    Expand Collapse
    Prime Example

Screw it! The Magpul included screw will go. It'll be a little tight a few turns as the threads "bite" into the locktite, but it'll go. Easily removed as well with the same effort as putting it on.

4. HomeLandPatriot

HomeLandPatriot
    Expand Collapse

It actually got to the point that I was wrenching it down with a pair of pliers, a screwdriver would no longer turn the screw. The wrench wasn't an option once the grip was installed as there was no room to get it to the screw.

I can't see any reason the old screw won't suffice. If it starts to back out under fire, i'll hit it with my own loctite before it dries and cakes to the threads.

I just wan'ted to make sure I can't do any physical damage by not using the new screw.

5. Onmilo

Onmilo
    Expand Collapse

Measure the shank of the MOE screw and measure the shank of the OEM screw.
    Cut MOE shank to same length as OEM shank if necessary.
    I don't use the MAGPUL screws myself, they don't strike me as high quality fasteners which might explain the Loc-Tite.

6. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes
    Expand Collapse

the screw that came with my MOE grip crossthreaded the hole. i had to re-tap it. it only took like 1.5 turns.

7. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Not to be an azz,..... but the installed cross-threaded the screw, NOT the screw.
    I've always used MagPul screws before without issue.
    If you need more than one hand on a screwdriver or allen wrench,
    there is a problem.

8. madecov

madecov
    Expand Collapse
    book em' Danno

I dremeled off the locktite from my magpul screws using a wire brush. Went in fine

9. CAInstructorTX

CAInstructorTX
    Expand Collapse

not to butt-in, but I also have a question regarding this handguard install. I have a Colt LE6920 with the side-mounted front sling swivel that mounts in the gap under the front sight assembly. Anyone know whether I have to take this off to fit the MOE on or not, or if it will clear? Looking at the pics of the handguard at the Magpul website, it looks like the two "wings" along the front side of the handguard might go over where the sling mount is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10. CAInstructorTX

CAInstructorTX
    Expand Collapse

you know what, I misread the title of this post, evidently it's about the MOE pistol grip, not the MOE handguard. Apologies. Disregard.

11. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven
    Expand Collapse
    Señor Mombo
    Millennium Member

Why don't you just screw it in without the grip in place, then remove it, then install grip?

12. HomeLandPatriot

HomeLandPatriot
    Expand Collapse

Thats exactly what I did, and I felt that cross threading my lower receiver was not an option. I've been playing with it all night and it has let to move, so I think im golden. The only reason I asked is because in the manual that came with the MOE grip, it says like this "DON'T USE FACTORY SCREW AND LOCK BOLT!!!" so I thought that being bold and uppercase they may have a reason, apparently not though.

The bolt they sent was beyond junked up....I've spent many a day using loctite and threading bolts onto cars, and this magpul screw was just that....screwed.

The bottom threads even started to flatten out, so when I saw that, it was time to give up on the magpul screw and use the original one. Not about to cross thread an AR i've had for a week. Like I said before though, I can go get another bolt and loctite it myself if anyone can come up with a reason why the OEM bolt won't suffice.

13. olddep041

olddep041
    Expand Collapse

If the bolt you use is too long it will go too far in the lower and into the trigger works.
    I just clean off most of the locktite and use the one supplied by Magpul.
    I you get a different screw, be sure it is not longer than the one Magpul supplied.

14. lawman800

lawman800
    Expand Collapse
    Juris Glocktor

After reading 2 threads on the Magpul MOE... I've decided to not get anything from Magpul except their mags.

15. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Then the only person losing out is you,...MagPul makes great products.
    You just have to know what you are doing when working on weapons.

16. HomeLandPatriot

HomeLandPatriot
    Expand Collapse

This was my initial concern, but after looking at the lower, I simply don't see how its the case. The trigger pack is in front of the grip, and there is nothing above where the screw goes into the lower. Its a blank space between the lower and upper, and in fact its covered, so the screw literally can't hit anything.

I'm pretty certain I've resolved the issue, if anything blows up next range trip ill let ya'll know.

17. JASV.17

JASV.17
    Expand Collapse
    Prime Example

If by that, you mean watching a youtube video of the the install...then that's all the experience I had on the matter before doing mine. The "hardest" part of the whole thing was not sending the detent spring across the room.:supergrin:

18. HomeLandPatriot

HomeLandPatriot
    Expand Collapse

don't fret lawman....I have a feeling that Daniel Defense puts a little more thought into their mounting hardware than a $20 magpul grip. I've seen a lot of screws and bolts in my day, and the magpul one just looked cheap and poorly managed. But if reusing the original hardware, or buying a .60c screw makes things right, the magpul moe and miad grip systems are very quality.

Magpul works with polymer, no wonder they screwed up the only metal part:whistling::rofl:

19. CAInstructorTX

CAInstructorTX
    Expand Collapse

I just installed the MIAD on mine, and had no problems. The screw supplied, like stated before, seems kinda chintzy, but was far shorter than the stock Colt piece, so I didn't want to chance messing anything up on a new gun, but yeah, went in fine, no resistance. I used the lock washer from the stock bolt, don't know if anyone else reuses that piece either.

20. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

I always get smacked in the forehead with the pins. :dunno: