close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Magpul MBUS for M&P15 OR?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Robreynolds, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Robreynolds

Robreynolds Registered User

Apr 5, 2008
    Every thread that mentions the MBUS sights say not to put them on a gas block. I like the MBUS sights and I am wondering how much shooting I would have to do before I have to worry about that much heat. Also since I am wanting this for the M&P15 OR, would the sights be level as far as the gas block and the rail being the same height?

2. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest

3. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    If I remember right, the M&P OR has a same-plane gas block.

Not sure how much heat it would take to cook an MBUS front sight, but even Magpul says not to use them on a railed gas block.

4. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    Don't do it. Buy Troy BUIS, and be done with it.

5. I was in the same boat. Till I decided to mount Troys on mine. To put a plastic sight on a gas block is just not right and is a monkey business. Troys are a little pricy but well worth the money. They are very robust and well made. I promise you, you will love the troys on your rifle. The magpul sights are excellent, but not on a gas block.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  6. bigmoney890

bigmoney890

Nov 8, 2011
    Boone, NC
  7. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    I have the DD on my M&P OR. It works but looks cheesy because it overhangs front or back of the block.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  8. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Apr 1, 2011
    Carolina
    There's a good thread/test over on TFL by Metal God where he tested this; a quick search should turn it up.

Quick summary of the findings--eventually they'll melt :supergrin: but it does take a bit of shooting to make tit happen.

FWIW, I put MI metal sights on my gas block to avoid this...