close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Magpul CTR stock

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Cole125, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    I have been thinking about upgrading my newest AR, a CMMG M4 LE, with a Magpul CTR stock. For those of you who have one is the thing worth $100 as a upgrade over the M4 stock?

Also I am looking for a new rail hand guard. I am looking at Midwest Industries and Troy two piece drop ins, out of the two which is the better?

Thanks. :cool:

2. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman 'Murica!

Nov 20, 2009
    VA
    If you don't need the friction lock, or the QD socket, I'd go with the MagPul MOE stock, which runs about $60 as opposed to the $90-$100 of the CTR.

The MOE stock still locks up solid on most buffer tubes, but if you want to get rid of wobble altogether, go for the CTR. :wavey: As for the handguard, I cannot give a solid answer, as I have not owned either, but I will say that all the other products I have from Troy are solid, and well-built.

I have a CTR, but honestly would've gotten a MOE stock if I could do it over again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    I have the MOE on my BCM lower,.......works great at a lower price.

I prefer Troy over MI

4. ghostman1960

ghostman1960 Static Nomad

Mar 3, 2008
    Florida Dammit
    As said above the MOE stock is a good option. I wish I would have kept mine but the CTR is a very good stock. I prefer the DD Omega drop in rails over Troy or MI as they are free float.

[​IMG]

5. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    I've used both the MI and the Troy drop ins.

Neither is bad, I prefer Troy.

6. Gribble

Gribble R. Shackleford

Nov 15, 2008
    The Box
    I love my CTR's! There great stocks for multiple applications. I even have one on my AK........:wavey:

7. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    Thanks for the input everyone! I have heard the Troy handguards can be hard to install and need fitting, while the MI rails just drop right in. Did you find this to be the case?

As far as the CTR stock, yes I am looking to eliminate wiggle.

8. ghostman1960

Mar 3, 2008
    Florida Dammit
    The mid length troy drop ins that I used to have did just that, drop in. No fitting was required.

9. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    For the extra funds the CTR does add a few additional features.
    The Troy rails fit just fine with standard uppers. There have been
    fitment issues with billet uppers. Troy has free floating rails that
    mount to the barrel nut.

10. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    I like the look of the Troy rail over the MI, if installation is just as easy I'll get the Troy. Plus I have a Troy BUIS and the quality and lockup is just amazing, two thumbs up there.

One more question for you guys, if anyone can answer it. Does the Troy flat dark earth coating on their hand guards match the Magpul flat dark earth?

I cannot decide if I want to keep my rifle black or go with a flat dark earth stock, grip and hand guard. Decisions, decisions. Anyone have pics of their flat dark earthed rifles?

11. Gribble

Gribble R. Shackleford

Nov 15, 2008
    The Box
    I installed a set on my uncles Armalite middy last week and it was the first time I have got to check them out and they are really sweet........[​IMG]

12. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    My suggestion would be keep all the metal black.
    Use matching color MagPul parts,....stock, grip & rail hand guards.

13. ghostman1960

Mar 3, 2008
    Florida Dammit
    This.

14. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

May 16, 2006
    VA
    The MOE also lacks the Push-button QD sling mount.

15. akgunnut

akgunnut

Feb 17, 2007
    Alaska
    I have the CTR stock on my Colt 6920 and IMO it's much better than the wobbly factory M4 stock. It adjusts easily and still locks up tight! I just wish it didn't cost me almost 100 dollars but oh well LOL!

[​IMG]

16. QNman

QNman resU deretsigeR Silver Member

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    I have both the CTR and the MOE. Honestly verly little difference, except for the two minor things listed.

I think either is a vast improvement over M4 for comfort and fit.

17. MAJINKONG

MAJINKONG Sr. Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Free Flood
    i love its weight and looks.. but i like better the checkweld of the LMT SOPMOD.

18. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    Yeah I think that is what I am going to do. If I want to go flat dark earth I can always get Magpul rail protecters in that color.

Anyways thanks for all the input guys, I am going with the Troy rail and I will get the Magpul stuff at a later date probably.

19. Gribble

Gribble R. Shackleford

Nov 15, 2008
    The Box
    You would be surprised at how well colors can match with the right pic of manufacture. I have several different manufactures in this pic and they melded together pretty good IMHO........:wavey:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  20. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Jul 10, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I have used the CTRs in the past on some builds. My last couple builds, I have switched to the MOE. I also like the MOE pistol grip over the MIAD. As for drop in railed handguards, I have used MI and they are fantastic. I have a build I am working right now. I will using TROY MRF-DI handguards on it. The only reason is that I got them for $80 shipped and they were already Duracoated MAGPUL FDE. I hope they work well. IF you can afford them, the KAC M4 RAS are fantastic as well.