close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Magnaporting a shotgun?

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by Brad737, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Brad737

Brad737

May 30, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Hello Mas,

I just finished Stressfire II and really liked it. I'm still definitely going to add a nice semiauto shotgun to my arsenal, when the right one comes along. Per your recommendations, I'm leaning heavily towards a 20 gauge...an LT20 if I can find a good one, or an 11-87. As of now, here's my 12 gauge 870.

[​IMG]

It came stock with the door breech/ muzzle brake and assault stock. I tried to only add things that would make it a better weapon, no "fluff", such as rear ghost ring, laser, sling, red dot, etc.

I've added the shell holder, a Wilson Combat +2 mag extension, XS Big Dot tritium sight, Elzetta light mount with 130-lumen Streamlight Polytac, and jumbo head safety switch. I load it with Remington #1 buckshot.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to have the barrel Magnaported. It certainly seems like a great idea to reduce the recoil if possible, but I've read other folks saying that porting is a waste of money, and doesn't really have any noticeable benefit. I think for the low cost, it's definitely worth trying. I'm just wondering if you still think it's a good idea?

Any other recommendations? For the record, I just purchased a lifetime membership to Front Sight, and I'm absolutely going to attend the shotgun class among others.

Thanks,
    Brad

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    While I never found MagnaPorting reduced the rearward "kick" of a shotgun when held in an aggressive fighting stance, I found it did definitely reduce the muzzle rise. I have it on two or three of my own shotguns and have been happy with it.

best,
    Mas

3. Brad737

Brad737

May 30, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Wow! Only 6 minutes for a response! Thank you so much for the advice. I'm going to give it a try. I'm not gonna try and act macho and pretend I keep the muzzle fully on target with every shot. A full power load does flip the muzzle somewhat, so I'm all for that. I'll let you know my impressions when I get her back.
    Thanks,
    Brad

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  4. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    I'll look forward to hearing how it worked for you, Brad.

And, by the way, please let's not anyone expect 6 minute responses. There is one patient GT-er who is still waiting after a few days for me to hear back from a manufacturer so I can answer his GATE question about a certain type of ammunition, and another who's been waiting more than a week for a similar answer from a different manufacturer.

Always appreciating patience,
    Mas