Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Magazine Springs

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by mikiep, Jul 24, 2011.

1. mikiep

Apr 27, 2011

Everyone has their own opinion on this question so, I need one answer from an expert. I'm interested in your take about rotating magazines so, not to wear out or weaken the mag spring. Is there rule of thumb? I have heard so many answers it's like you ask 10 people you get 10 different answers.
    Thank You
  2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    Mike, as you know, it's a contentious topic. It breaks down to folks who were told in metallurgy class that in theory springs shouldn't take a set from compression; people who haven't experienced mags taking a set; and people who have. I take from that, that some people HAVE had problems. That's reason enough for me to take a conservative route and swap out mags. So, of course, is the fact that I've seen long-loaded mags take a set, and talked to armorers who've seen it, too.

So, taking a "belt and suspenders" approach of "erring on the side of caution," I try to empty out mags and let them rest at six month intervals.