close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

magazine spring set?

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by jundeleon, Jul 27, 2004.

1. jundeleon

jundeleon

Aug 31, 2003
    Has anybody actually experienced a magazine spring taking a "set" after being kept loaded for a long time?

2. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

Jan 22, 2004
    almost home
    Haven't been at this thing for very long, and have owned my own firearm for even les time, but no. My uncle would preach that properly tempered springs will keep a mag functional even after ecades of storage fully-loaded, provided the mags are protected from dirt snd corrosion.

Even from a mechanical-engineering theoretical POV, after a mild initial set upon first use, it is cycling of the spring that softens the metal, alowing it to take a set, rather than prolonged compression.

:)

3. jasonub

jasonub

Sep 28, 2003
    Philippines
    it just takes an initial set after leaving the mags overnight then no problems. wear comes from loading and unloading the mags which is considered a cycle. the spring has a cycle life and after the cycle life it should be replaced

4. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Feb 21, 2002
    Philippines
    FWIW I have a mag with 6 rounds in it that was loaded on a Dec date before Ping became PNP chief...kelan ba yun? Cleaned it last week and compared the spring length to my records. No discernable set. ;)

Ditto on the above posts. It's the cyling of the springs that evetually weaken it esp. cycling with full compression each time.