close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Magazine Extensions?

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by Brad737, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Brad737

Brad737

May 30, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Hello Mr. Ayoob,

First off, let me say how pleased I am that you frequent GT and take the time to answer our questions. It's an honor. I own 4 of your books, and I deeply appreciate you sharing your knowledge and helping me protect my family.

My question regards magazine extensions. In the Gun Digest books for Concealed Carry and Combat Handgunnery, I didn't see any mention, and I after a quick googling, I didn't see any quick answers, so I hope you don't mind me asking this here.

Since the assault ban expired and high-capacity magazines are again available, do you know of any legal ramifications of adding the Plus 2 extensions to my magazines? My CCW is a Glock 30SF. It's not totally stock, as I've added TruGlo TFO night sights, an OEM Glock extended slide release and the NY-1 trigger. In your experience as an expert witness, do you believe it would be a problem carrying my CCW with the extensions? I've already purchased them, but am hesitant to attach them until I find some more information. For reference, in the holster, I have the 30 loaded with the stock 10-round mag loaded with Ranger Ts, and I use a G21 mag with the A&G grip extension (just to fill out the grip, no added capacity). While that's certainly a lot of firepower, I feel an additional 4 rounds would definitely be a welcome addition.

If you've answered this previously, I apologize.

Thanks,
    Brad

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    Brad, so long as you're not in one of the jurisdictions that still requires what some of us call "Clinton magazines" -- and so long as you've run lots of ammo through THAT gun with THAT ammo and THOSE magazines, and determined the combination to be reliable -- I don't see any problem.

Best,
    Mas

3. Brad737

Brad737

May 30, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mas,
    Thanks for your advice. I've done a bit more research, and the Clinton mags aren't required here, so I'll attach the extensions. I haven't had the 30SF that long, but it's been fantastic so far. It's much more accurate than I am, and it's been 100% reliable, even when I've shot junk Walmart ammo. I followed your advice and installed the NY-1 trigger spring, and have installed the 3.5 lb connector, since Glock approves now. The trigger pull is a lot more crisp.

Thanks again,
    Brad

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  4. Brad737

Brad737

May 30, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Just a quick update for everyone. I did install the mag extensions, but found they print when carrying concealed. So now I use the extensions only on my spare mags, not on the 10-round mag I'm carrying in the gun.
    Brad

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010