close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

mag capacity

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Madmax1010, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Madmax1010

Madmax1010
    Expand Collapse

I wasn't go to bring this subject up but over and over and over again I hear I don't carry the glock 30 because the the glock 19 holds more rds. Or I won't carry a sig sauer p220 because it holds 8+1 when my glock 23 holds 13+1.

What is the deal 3 or 4 rds in a handgun is not going to be life changing and besides 11 rds 45 acp is really that much more insufficient for self defense 15 rds of 9mm or 14 rds of 40S&W!?:rofl:

I don't know maybe after 30+ yrs of working with guns and things have gotten to me. Sorry for the rant i feel much better now.

Any one have thoughts let them fly.

I think it's just an internet thing.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. CADguy

CADguy
    Expand Collapse

The stat our CC instructor (active LEO) through at us was 3:00AM; 3 seconds; 3 shots for the "average" gunfight...

#2 CADguy, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  3. Madmax1010

Madmax1010
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your reply I need to add something else also.

I really believe that there is a lot people out there that carry a certain weapon just because of the rd count not because it feels good or they shoot it well.

And in my mind that is a huge mistake. Not only for self defense but for the innocent bystander in the vicinity.

As a matter of fact I'm retired now but a friend that stiill runs CC classes asked me to assist about three months ago.
    One of the students had said I carry a glock 17 cause I have enough rd to spray and shoot I'm bound to hit them. now thats scary. He didn't say that to me, otherwise I would have gotten fired up about that.

#3 Madmax1010, Feb 10, 2014
  4. tom mac

tom mac
    Expand Collapse

It's been proven that shot placement can be more important then caliper...

Or then, you can live in NY where the p220 is fine since they still hold you to 7 in a mag! :)
    ( under debate if W Dist ct ruling for 10rds is ok in other districts still )

5. Madmax1010

Madmax1010
    Expand Collapse

I think 7 rds is fine /more then enough however a person should have the right to choose for themselves. NY sucks for that.

I used to carry 1911's 7+1 never felt under gunned. Actually when I first first started it was a 1911 or a wheel gun.

I am holden a p220 on my hip today to me thats more than enough.

#5 Madmax1010, Feb 10, 2014
  6. rock_castle

rock_castle
    Expand Collapse

I believe this to be true. I also think that there are a lot of people out there that carry a certain weapon (.45) just because they think big is baddass, and not because it feels good or they shoot it well.

7. Madmax1010

Madmax1010
    Expand Collapse

Absolutely there are so many different size guns in all calibers every one should find a few that fit. I like the sig in all calibers but in glock the grips are ok but get a little fatter in larger calibers. But then with the newer frames glock offers they are not bad.

If you look up the statistics on handgun effectiveness even just in the three most popular 9mm, 40S&W and 45 acp it is so close its not even worth looking at.

#7 Madmax1010, Feb 10, 2014
  8. wct097

wct097
    Expand Collapse

I have several guns I can use for CCW chambered in 9mm, 10mm and .40 S&W. Future carry guns will all be chambered in 9mm, for several reasons.

1. I shoot 9mm better than I shoot larger calibers.
    2. It's cheaper & easier to find than .380 & 10mm and cheaper than .40 or .45.
    3. I reload 9mm and can practice with it more.
    4. Given the choice of the same gun in 9mm vs larger calibers and lower capacity, I'll always go for capacity.

Why does capacity matter to me? I'm not a hardened "operator". Without a doubt, under the stress of having to draw and fire my CCW in a dynamic situation, I will be nowhere as accurate as I am shooting at a static target on the range. I'm not talking about spraying & praying here, I'm just being realistic. The only thing more terrifying than needing a gun and not having it is needing a gun and running out of ammo without taking out a threat.

#8 wct097, Feb 10, 2014
  9. fastbolt

fastbolt
    Expand Collapse

Well, it's not just the internet, but the creation of internet gun forums has certainly allowed the often divisive topic a lot more attention. ;)

I remember when folks were carrying Colt Government or Commander models, S&W & M39's & Walther P38's ... and other folks thought they needed the hi-cap S&W M59's or Browning HP's. The debate goes back a ways. ;)

As a young cop I carried an issued revolver on-duty, and either a Commander or a 6-shot revolver off-duty. Later on, I decided a 3" S&W M36 wasn't a bad compromise for court days, meetings and warmer weather days.

I was dragged into the hi-cap world at the end of '89 when I was told I'd have to turn in my .357 Magnum for a 14+1 capacity 9mm pistol. :shocked:

Fast-forward through more than 20 years of carrying different 9's, .40's & .45's on-duty, and having served as a firearms instructor, and I'm not nearly as fussy about caliber, capacity or even make/model of handguns anymore. ;)

I only own 1 pistol that uses hi-cap mags, and those are 12-rd mags. I have just as many 10-rd mags for it as 12-rd mags. The rest of my pistols have mag capacities of 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10-rds ... and I carry either one of my 5-shot snubs or a Ruger LCP more often than any of the larger guns.

I still have a bunch of extra 12 & 15-rd 9mm mags for previous duty pistols, and I might use them if I ever find a used example (for the right price) of one or the other 9's I used to carry on-duty. Not in a hurry.

I'm no longer being paid to be sent to known or suspected troublesome situations, or to actively seek out and look to insert myself into such things, so I'm not quite as inclined to lug around a duty-size handgun and carry a box of ammunition on my belt. ;)

Matter of fact, my last issued weapon was a 7+1 capacity .45 pistol (4513TSW), so I sort of ended up back to where I started as a young man. When I take one of my pistols that use 10-rd mags out of the safe, I feel like I'm carrying a "hi-cap" gun.

As an instructor, I'm much more interested in the mindset & skillset of the person carrying & using the gun. How many rounds they can fire between having to load is of less concern to me than how well they can handle & shoot it.

My thoughts.

#9 fastbolt, Feb 10, 2014
  10. Madmax1010

Madmax1010
    Expand Collapse

VERY well said I feel a lot like you do these days.

11. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Nice thoughts - well thought out.

12. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith
    Expand Collapse

Yes but the average is not what always happens.

Carry the most powerful gun that holds the most ammo that you can conceal and control. That will vary alot between individuals.

Some can carry a Glock 20 10mm, but some can barely pack a 5 shot .38 snub. Each individual is different.

BUT, whatever you carry be able to shoot strait and fast with it.

Deaf

13. CADguy

CADguy
    Expand Collapse

No doubt about it. You just don't want to limit yourself to a two-shot deringer...

14. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

The only two-shot SD gun I would ever consider would be a double-barrelled 12 ga SG.

15. tom mac

tom mac
    Expand Collapse

I started like above with a S&W mod 10 then the dept moved over to a DOA Sig226 for the next 25+yrs...

It all comes down to what you train on and shoot... Pratice to shoot well, train for the 'muscle memory' that helps in a hi-stress situation.

Now days I mostly carry the Glock 20 , ( not that I don't like the sig ) but because I reload for that caliper which allows me the most shooting time re cost.

Carry what you use/train on and the number of rounds is less an issue.

16. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

My mag cap is 17. My spare mag holds 16. One never knows how many bad guys will attack you. :cool:

#16 SCmasterblaster, Feb 10, 2014
  17. The Retired Sarge

The Retired Sarge
    Expand Collapse
    "The Sarge"

The 3 shots in 3 seconds at 3 yards is a complete myth. Never a valid statistic recorded by any LE agency including the FBI. This myth has been circulated so much over the years that some believe it is a universal law of the universe. Each gunfight is different and no one that has actually survived a gunfight has ever complained their pistol was too big or they had too much ammo. There are many cases where multiple rounds of any of the service calibers were needed to bring down just one bad guy. Above all use what works best for you and what you have confidence in. But never fall into the trap thinking that you will only shoot a few rounds and that your well placed, ideal shots will work just fine. You will shoot more than you think and some will miss. Things will go from bad to worse to terrible. I will always take capacity over caliber. Bill

18. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7
    Expand Collapse

I see nothing wrong with wanting more capacity. It's not the only reason I'd pick a gun for carry, but there are only 2 situations in which having too much ammo is a bad thing.
    1) You're drowning
    2) You're on fire

#18 xmanhockey7, Feb 10, 2014
  19. plumbum2

plumbum2
    Expand Collapse

+1 to the above. Anyone see those cop shoot out vids where they dump a g17 at close range and only hit him once or not at all?

20. CADguy

CADguy
    Expand Collapse

I believe that the instructor was just trying to make the point that everything can happen so fast that any grandiose ideas that you may have in your head about what you will do when the time comes won't matter much...