close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Made in Austria or USA?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ChallengerSRT, Feb 4, 2013.

1. ChallengerSRT

ChallengerSRT

Jan 22, 2013
    On another thread, someone posted their Glock was made in the USA. I thought it was really cool and different. I mean, what percentage of Glocks are stamped that way? One person commented he wouldn't want his made in the US, which surprised me. It's a non-issue for me, except one poster said the finish is darker on the US made version when put side by side. Someone commented that the tennifer finish process was not allowed in the US so maybe that's the difference? Not sure if there's any truth to it.
    So, I'm interested to know everyone's opinion on made in USA vs. Austria? Are people here that unpatriotic that they'd actually prefer THEIR gun be made elsewhere? Are you saying made in USA isn't good enough for you? :eagle:

2. JWG_34

JWG_34 TeamCarverMount

Jan 23, 2002
    Columbia SC
    Tennifer is not allowed in the US,Im not sure what finish is use here in the US,But the tennifer uses chemicals that are not an allowed process here in the usa(EPA rules)

3. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I'd prefer my Glocks to be made in Austria, I'd prefer my Berettas to be made in Italian, and I'd prefer my Sigs to be made in Germany.

I like guns to come from their country of origin.

4. tonyparson

tonyparson

Jan 20, 2008
    Dayton, TN.
    Neither Glocks made in Austria or USA have been treated with Tenifer.. Glock stop using Tenifer about a year or so ago.

5. Smidgen

Smidgen

Jan 16, 2013
    Wisconsin
    So they can't speak English while making your gun, even if they are doing so in ITALY ?? :supergrin:

6. And if they're made in Smyrna...they're probably hard to understand as well...especially for a Yankee!

7. bustedknee

bustedknee Curmudgeon

Aug 1, 2001
    Wythe County, VA
  8. Triple7

Triple7

May 30, 2011
    I have a USA Glock....a couple hundred rounds through it and it shoots like....a Glock.

9. Browner

Browner

Mar 15, 2009
    Yeah when I said the finish was darker on the USA one, its no big deal. I have Glocks made in USA and Austria as well. I have no problem with my USA G19 at all. Now if I can find a Gen 4 G19 made in the USA, I'll buy it. Ron

10. Montblanc

Montblanc

Apr 28, 2007
    The USA Glocks are exactly the same as the others. No differences but the markings

11. Scott30

Scott30

Dec 8, 2006
    Central VA
  12. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    I understand that, only the frame is made in US.

13. "frame"?
    My G19 has "USA" on the slide, barrel and the receiver, matching S/N on slide, barrel and receiver.

14. burttrans

burttrans

Aug 17, 2012
    My USA made G26 is all made in the USA and shoots great! Like stated above it looks the same, shoots the same, and feels the same as my Austria made G19 except my G19 has a FDE frame! Love them both G19 by my bed with tactial light and G26 for carry,

15. Inebriated

Inebriated

Feb 20, 2012
    Glock has apparently stopped using Tenifer. Look at their site... no mention of it. It's my understanding that they do their own hardening treatment now.

They just say "GLOCK applies advanced surface treatments on major metal components, resulting in slightly less than diamond hardness. This considerably reduces wear and tear on these metal components and makes them corrosion resistant, even when operating in saltwater conditions. The matte black surface minimizes light reflection—an advantage in tactical circumstances."

Regardless, my frame and slide both say "USA", and both have the Georgia proof marks. So... they're made here.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  16. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Oops! Lol

17. haydenBJJ

haydenBJJ

Mar 30, 2013
    i just bought a new G26 last week, and upon doing some reading, i come home to look at it further, and it id indeed a USA Glock. G26 gen 3.

I am sure reliability is the same, but does anyone have any thoughts on which one is more valuable (at this point)? I would guess the USA ones will be more rare for awhile, but i'm just guessing.

18. Dan Glock

Dan Glock

Nov 24, 2011
    I second this. Especially with the SIGs.

19. GT86

GT86

Mar 7, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    The US made is less common, but not worth any more or less than one made in Austria.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

20. Agreed. And I'll guess it goes without saying you'd want your 1911s made in the USA.