close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Macs, deleting partitions and install question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by roar, May 6, 2009.

1. roar

roar
    Expand Collapse
    .38 Special

Right now I am booted into the GParted live cd, and I am wondering if completely deleting every single partition, including the EFI partition, will prevent me from booting into the OS X install disc and doing a fresh OS X install onto the completely blank, unformatted hard drive.

Posting and checking from my iPhone. Thanks

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Eyescream

Eyescream
    Expand Collapse
    hates you

I'd just completely format the drive and delete all the partitions, then install OS X. That's what I did wiping and killing a sofware RAID on the PowerMac I'm setting up right now.

3. roar

roar
    Expand Collapse
    .38 Special

I guess I could use GParted, and format the whole drive as something. I'm just wondering if deleting the EFI partition will make my computer completely non-bootable, as I understand Macs use EFI to boot up. This is my internal hdd for my laptop so I don't want to completely brick it

4. JK-linux

JK-linux
    Expand Collapse

You won't brick it. Boot, hold down the option key, select the install DVD, select English, then use Disk Utility and format away. The install takes care of EFI, kext and the other fun stuff.

5. roar

roar
    Expand Collapse
    .38 Special

Well last night I tried deleting the partitions using disk utility booted from the os x install disc, but that didn't work. If I format the disc when doing a fresh install, will it take into account and use the part of the hdd that GParted lists as unallocated?

6. JK-linux

JK-linux
    Expand Collapse

If you like, create a new partition and leave the old one. Install the OS on the new partition. After that, delete the old partition and your space will be free for the new install. then run the "Erase Free Space" option from Disk Utility.

7. roar

roar
    Expand Collapse
    .38 Special

I just used disk utility and erased the whole drive, and it showed the volume as having the complete physical amount available, so now is all good. Installing OS X again, for the last time (at least for a while). Thanks for the help everyone!