close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Machine Gun w/ Squib (PICS)

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by scottMO, Mar 23, 2008.

1. scottMO

scottMO Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    LR Arkansas
    I always wondered what would happen to a F/A w/a squib. I never suffered one w/my MAC 11/9 or HK MP5, but I would have thought the damage would have been greater. I only had the factory short barrel on my MAC, but at 1200rpm, or 1800rpm w/the mac-jack, it prob takes someone a 1/2 sec or 2 to recognize something out of the ordinary and come off the trigger....

Came across these pics. The firearm was reported to be a F/A MAC w/a 16" barrel, that suffered a squib and then multiple followup rounds. I can count at least 8 or 9 rounds, but the total count was supposed to be 10rds?? Looks like the barrel did an outstanding job of containing the rounds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can anyone comnfirm that this looks like a 16" MAC barrel? It looks a little thick to me and do the threads look right??

scottMO

2. mtdew

mtdew

Sep 6, 2007
    Yes it was from this gun (not mine it was posted on UT a long time ago)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. r2kba

r2kba Relax

Jun 13, 2000
    South Texas
  4. CaptToyota

CaptToyota

Jan 31, 2003
    Troy, Ohio
    In regards to the pics... I had that barrel in my grubby hands when it was at that machine shop..

The barrel is indeed made from a blank to fit a M10 upper, barrel chambered in 9x19. The original was made by John at West-Georgia Armory, as the owner wanted to do 1 of them "mini-1919" kind of things.

Owner (Eddie -- not seen in any pics) went out 1 day, and had a pile of assorted handloads from friends to use up, take it from there.

The fella seen in the pic (Paul) is who made the mount, he works for GE Aircraft Engines in Cincy.

The owner bought a new blank, had our local "ARFCOM" tool & die person (Brian) cut a new barrel, same fella that does my cutting (made my stainless M11/9 barrel from my former stainless AR barrel). Brian had their "wire room" guy cut the barrel to expose the bullet stack.

5. Rawhide20

Rawhide20

Nov 12, 2004
    in my body
    Ah, thanks...you answered my question. I wondered how they cut it so nicely...

6. scottMO

scottMO Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    LR Arkansas
  7. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    I see the myth of the "exploding barrel" with squibs is put to rest.

:cool:

8. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    That is a very thick MAC barrel. I don't think a regular barrel would be as good.

9. Liff

Liff

Mar 17, 2006
    PNW
    Barrels explode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbizDZq5rug

http://www.usa-uas-usa.com/2006/10/exploded_barrel_acme_rifle.html

And you can search for more. It is not a myth if it happens. Low pressure stuff like 9mm and a thick barrel make it mighty hard for a barrel to split/explode. Higher pressure stuff in hunting profile barrels are not so hard to split.

The real lesson to be learned is to not shoot reloads in a full auto.

10. strobro32

strobro32

Feb 9, 2009
    This doesn't surprise me. John cut the threads on my m11/9 barrel and blew up my suppressor on the first mag. He never returned my calls or emails.

11. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Apr 5, 2007
    Utah
    Hardly. I saw an UZI barrel with 15+ rounds jammed in it. It did not burst because like the MAC it fires from an open, non locking bolt. Any excess pressure exits the breach with the casing. A squib will burst a barrel easily if it has a locking breach or high enough pressure.