close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mac OS X upgrade question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Padre, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Padre

Padre
    Expand Collapse

Hello all:
    I have a problem that I am hoping someone can assist me in finding out the solution.
    I am running a Mac MacBook with OSX 10.4.11. (Tiger). I need to update it to Snow Leopard but the optical drive is out.
    This would not be a problem if I was in the US, but I am in Iraq and there are not too many Apple stores here on my base.
    I can get a copy of the Snow Leopard program sent to me by my wife but is there a way that I can upgrade without having an optical drive.
    Somewhere I read that I can put the upgrade on my external hard drive (usb) and then have the system start up from that. If this possible and, if so, could somebody please offer a hand.
    Thank you for any assistance that you may be able to provide.
    Padre (in the big kitty litter box)

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. arodgers

arodgers
    Expand Collapse

Do you have a second Mac at home with a working DVD drive? You're going to need someone to prepare the USB drive with the installation files off of the DVD.

3. Padre

Padre
    Expand Collapse

My wife is going to purchase the upgrade DVD and sending it to me. I only have a 5GB limit per month so downloading would cost me a fortune.
    I only have the one Mac (none other available). Once I get the disk, I am going to burn an image onto my mini hard drive and do it that way. Seems that is the best way. I guess. Thank you for your assistance. Will let you know how it goes when I get done.
    <Padre>

4. Padre

Padre
    Expand Collapse

Oh, forgot to mention. I have an external USB DVD drive that I can use to put it onto the hard drive. Tried to boot off the external DVD, then found out you can't do that with an Apple.

5. arodgers

arodgers
    Expand Collapse