close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mac help loading new WordPerfect

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by uhlawpup, Nov 7, 2010.

1. uhlawpup

uhlawpup
    Expand Collapse
    Gentle Soul

Okay. I've gone over to the dark side and bought a MacBook Air. It is WONDERFUL!

I've loaded the new Parallels on it, and my Windows XP, and all is peachy.'

But....

I really need WordPerfect on here. I bought the newest edition of Office, and it will not load. Setup.exe will not run. I get an error message every time.

Anyone know of a fix for this? I really need WordPerfect on here...

Thanks, you're all much too good to me, etc.

By the way, I've messaged Corel, too.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. wrenrj1

wrenrj1
    Expand Collapse

You say you loaded Office, do you mean MS Office? but then you refer to WP. Does not compute. Wordperfect is all but gone in this world.

3. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24
    Expand Collapse
    Bring M&M's

I think it's WordPerfect Office of which WordPefect is part of.

4. uhlawpup

uhlawpup
    Expand Collapse
    Gentle Soul

24 is correct. I have MS Office 2011 for Mac installed. I need WordPerfect run. And, in the legal community, it's far from gone... It's part of their WordPerfect Office X5

#4 uhlawpup, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

What's the error? I'm assuming you're trying to install the ".exe" in the Windows OS, right... and not the Mac OS?(hey, it happens)...

Almost sounds like something might be fubar w/ your CD, or do you get an error that leads you to believe this is related to parallels?

IGF

6. uhlawpup

uhlawpup
    Expand Collapse
    Gentle Soul

I thought it might be the CD, so I downloaded the trial version in Windows. It got a little farther, but that's it. Corel was no help, either.

I can use Word. Most of us are switching to it anyway. I guess I'll call Corel and get a Return Materials Authorization for the X5 and send it back.

Thanks for the thought power, folks.

7. Toyman

Toyman
    Expand Collapse

It appears as though WordPerfect is windows only. However, if you really want it, you could install a virtual machine host (such as VirtualBox (free) or Parallels) and simply install Windows and WordPerfect.

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

His first post suggests he already has Parallels.

IGF

9. Toyman

Toyman
    Expand Collapse

Ooops, I missed that.

10. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24
    Expand Collapse
    Bring M&M's

I don't have a Mac but isn't Parallels a virtual machine and Bootcamp allows native running of Windows? I think one them gives the option of running Windows either way but I don't know which one.

11. Toyman

Toyman
    Expand Collapse

Yes, you can setup Windows to boot with Bootcamp. You can also setup Parallels to run Windows while OSX is running (in a virtual machine).

The fancy thing about Parallels is that you can setup a bootcamp partition to boot into Windows AND use that same Windows installation as a virtual machine. That way you can either boot into full blown Windows on bootcamp, OR run that same Windows installation as a virtual machine. (I've got that setup on my Mac).

12. uhlawpup

uhlawpup
    Expand Collapse
    Gentle Soul

I haven't joined Bootcamp and Parallels, but I have tried to install it in Windows using Parallels. The setup.exe errors out on me and won't run. As I said earlier, I got a little further using Internet Explorere and downloading a trial, but that didn't work, either.

I have WordPerfect installed on my old machine. I may try to find a way to port it over to see if it will run. (When I installed Windows under Parallels, I used my disc. Maybe if I uninstall it all and do it again porting over from the Windows laptop, all may work. We'll just have to see. Meanwhile, I'm out of time experimenting. I'll just have to do my WordPerfect work at the office and slowly try to get these folks to move to Word. Most are there already, so it is only a matter of time...

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

You keep saying it "errors out".. does it give you any info to the error?

14. uhlawpup

uhlawpup
    Expand Collapse
    Gentle Soul

No. No error info. Setup starts, and then immediately I get the dreaded box that says the program had to terminate and do I want to send a report. You know the one. It's not the blue screen of death, but it's just as aggravating.

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Hmm, well, you could try Open Office.. but I don't think it saves in wordperfect format. It does save in MS Office format though, and seems to work pretty well..

IGF

16. uhlawpup

uhlawpup
    Expand Collapse
    Gentle Soul

One of our IT guys suggested that maybe I need to let Windows update itself on the virtual machine.

I'm a little nervous about this...

Maybe my attention span is getting shorter as I get older, but it seems to be way more trouble than it's worth. Then, again, I appreciate all the help, and if I do get it solved, I'll post back to this thread and let you all know what happened.

17. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24
    Expand Collapse
    Bring M&M's

Maybe it's the virtual machine environment that's causing the problem. If you install and run Windows natively, it might work like it's suppose to work. Does WordPerfect give any software requirements such as NET Framework?

18. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

I've never saw a program not work in a Virtual OS, except for games, and thats mostly due to graphics drivers limitations in Vbox. I can't imagine there being a problem w/ an Office Suite running in a Virtual OS...

IGF

#18 IndyGunFreak, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  19. Linux3

Linux3
    Expand Collapse

20. uhlawpup

uhlawpup
    Expand Collapse
    Gentle Soul

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.