Mac 90???

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by NEOH212, Jan 19, 2012.

1. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

I agree about the cheek weld. That's why I'm getting a riser for the stock. I don't care for the Magpul stocks nor the M4 style stocks in general.

http://riflestocks.com/store/product4.html

I had a afg on my Colt 6940. I took it off after the first range session. I didn't like it. It was better while shooting prone over the TG grip though. It didn't get in the way as bad. I went back to the Tango Down grip. I haven't been too big on the Magpul stuff. It;s all good quality and all. I guess I'm just old school. I do like the idea of the US palm though. I may just do that.

:wavey:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!

2. LOL....I see whats going on here:whistling:

3. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

:rofl:

4. Tailhunter

Tailhunter Glockman

You're good ....

5. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Well, I had second thoughts about my first configuration and decided to go with the Ironwood stock set. I just don't know what wood and stain I want though. I do like the look of wood on the AK's.

Now I just have to decide.....

Oh well, more to think about. :whistling:

6. Tailhunter

Tailhunter Glockman

I realize that Ironwood is the easiest way to gain compliance points but for about the same or a little less you can have chinese OEM.

7. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Well, It's done. I'll post a picture when I get a chance to. I ended up going with a synthetic stock set from Arsenal/Brownells.

I installed a Tapco trigger, a Hogue rubber grip, single point sling adapter from Echo nine three, and a BlackHawk single point sling. I threaded the muzzle and installed the Tallon brake from Go Gun. It works very well by the way! :cool:

It's nothing fancy but it shoots fairly well for what it is. 4" at 100 yards is about average. Everything is on the paper at 200 yards and no malfunctions so far. (The target being used is a standard OPOTA qualification target.) I've put exactly 600 rounds down range so far.

This Norinco is a keeper!

:supergrin:

8. keep the MAK OEM and get an SGL21 to tac out :)

9. I paid $550 for this one delivered, and yes I used to sell the MAK 90 for $179 back in 1995.
    Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

10. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member
    CLM

:thumbsup:

11. mac66

mac66 Huge Member
    Millennium Member

Interesting how perspective changes over the years. I bought a MAK90 in 1993 and it seemed pretty much a piece of junk compared to the Hungarian one I bought. Ok, not junk but let's face it, AKs are fairly crude. On the other hand it certainly was much nicer and better quality than the SAR1 (Romanian) I bought later. The Hungarian folder was sold off during the AWB for big bucks and the MAK was converted and remains in my safe. Pretty much the basic AK. The SAR1 is still kicking and is pretty much the beater rifle.

I bought a Saiga 7.62x39 cheap in '01. It is what the Arsenal is built on and is probably the best of what you can get these days. If you are going to mod it out anyway, may as well start with the Saiga in the first place.

Buy hey, if a MAK is considered the top of the line these days then ya done good!

12. I bet you wish you would of kept the Hungarian. They are probably the highest quality stamped prebans. Chicoms are very nice and well built rifles but I don't think they are near the best.

13. FFR Spyder GT

FFR Spyder GT Ex-Gunslinger

One thing to remember about the Norinco guns is that most do not like the European mags.

I have a Pre-Ban ( not Clinton's but Big George's AWB of '89) Norinco AK-47 underfolder and a Norinco SKS that takes AK mags and neither one likes the euro mags.

Congrats on the MAK-90. They are a lot better quality than the imported parts guns.

14. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

my mac 90 is a great gun, but the milled rcvr is a pain in the butt to find after market stocks and such to change out.....

im going to one day get a forestock that displaces heat and toss the wood which gets too hot to hold.

ive toyed with the idea of getting a 20 round chinese star stamped fixed mag for my yugo sks, but ive always put it off....

#54 cowboywannabe, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  15. Glockdude1

CLM

#55 Glockdude1, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  16. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Glockdude1, i didnt see collapsible or folding nylon stocks and picanny rail forestocks on there. what did i miss?

17. Glockdude1

CLM

Sorry about that.

I was thinking about wood replacement.

Find what you want for a milled Mak-90, will be next to impossible. The rear receiver has a round hole and has the "reverse cut" on the lower end of the receiver.

The "straight cut" stamped receivers are much easier to put different stocks on.

:wavey:

18. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

so im finding out. im probably going to have to keep my thumb hole wood stock but im going to eventually get a picatinny nylon forestock to save my hand from the buring hot front end and give me flashlight/scope/laser options.

19. Glockdude1

CLM

[​IMG]

You don't have to keep the thumbhole stock.

This is my milled Mak 90 with a 4 piece Black Walnut Ironwood designs stock set.

In case you change your mind on the new wood set.

:cool:

20. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936
    Millennium Member

MAK 90s are one of the best examples of the AK vairant rifle. They were 399.00 plus tax "new" the 90's and considering that my $400 pistols from the 90's are now 799.00...I say $600 isnt a terrible deal for that rifle. Honestly, I would pay $600 for a NIB MAK if I were looking for a AK. (in a heartbeat)