close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

m16 parts in my AR?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by LabTech, Jun 26, 2011.

1. LabTech

LabTech Village Jackass

May 23, 2005
    Scenic southeast Ohio
    Is it legal to use FA parts in an AR lower? Obviously not a drop in auto sear, just the trigger, hammer, etc. and also the FA bolt carrier? Just bought a used DPMS with a Timney match trigger in it and wondered if I could use the FA lower parts I have to replace it if I choose. Thanks in advance.

2. MajorD

MajorD

Aug 16, 2010
    while the fa bolt carrier is ok, the fa lower parts even without having an auto sear are a no go- soemthing about constructive intent (legal ajrgon sorry) but having parts like the auto disconnector with the etra leg on it that engages the auto sear can be considered by some as not legal.

3. gunsmoke92

gunsmoke92

Jul 22, 2005
    Rigby, Idaho
    What MajorD said. If you put any M 16 parts in your lower without having a class III and the appropriate tax stamp, and you're caught, you won't even be able to have a 22. Best you purge those thoughts from your noggin right now.

4. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    Unless you have a M16 I would dump those FA parts you have quick. As per the ATF even of you don't use them & have a AR lower in your possession it's still illegal.

5. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    If you have enough M16 parts installed for the ATF to convince a jury that
    you intended (at a later time) to convert to automatic, your goose is cooked.

Just one or two M16 parts, installed by you, could be enough to establish
    that "constructive intent".

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  6. LabTech

LabTech Village Jackass

May 23, 2005
    Scenic southeast Ohio
    Thanks for the input folks. Looks like the FA parts will go nowhere near the AR. That's the info I needed.

7. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    Noveske uses a true M16 bolt as does DD, BCM, and many other top tier firearms.

I don't think I would even consider buying an AR from a manufacturer that does not use a real M16 bolt.

But that's my personal preference I guess. :dunno:

8. just the bolt carrier with no other parts should be fine.

It is the combination of parts they use to.show constructive intent.

9. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    Awh ok. Makes sense. I believe that the ATF needs to go find something constructive to do with my tax dollars...

:rofl:

10. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)

Though I'm sure you probably have to do something else to draw their attention first, simply having the FA parts and an AR-15 can be enough to be charged with "constructive intent"

Per ATF, simply having a AR-15 rifle lower, and a SBR or pistol length upper, without a pistol lower to go with it, is enough for them to call it CI.

11. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Jul 10, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    M16 BCG are okay. Any other M16 internals, not on your life. I have several of my AR with M16 BCGs. I had an ATF agent ask me why I preferred the M16 BCG. I told him that they were beneficial when it came to recoil control. The added weight of the M16 BCG over a semi-auto BCG helped the action slow down enough that I did not need to change the buffer. I do have M16 BCGs in a couple of my 20" ARs too.

12. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

Jul 8, 2001
    Texas
    Most AR-15 shipped from Colt, Noveske, etc., have 2 M16 specific parts in them.

13. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

Jul 8, 2001
    Texas
    No, you will be charged with possession of a unregistered MG. There is no such law as "constructive intent".

14. B.Reid

B.Reid

Jun 20, 2005
    Montana
    What are those parts?

15. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

Jul 8, 2001
    Texas
    An Upper Receiver with a cutout for the Auto Sear, and

A Full/Auto Bolt Carrier.

16. LabTech

LabTech Village Jackass

May 23, 2005
    Scenic southeast Ohio
    Okay, so all the FA parts are now in the trash. No CI here Mr. G-Man. Keep walking, nothing here to see anymore.

17. Spike 7.62

Spike 7.62

May 28, 2011
    nevermind, someone else beat me to it. Good on OP for doing the right thing for himself.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  18. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

The FA parts were all lost in a tragic boating accident. Out of state.:whistling:

19. Halojumper

Halojumper

Mar 18, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    It's my understanding (disclaimer: this is strictly my opinion. I am not a lawyer or any sort of certified expert in this area. Do not make any decisions based solely on my comments) that there is no amount of M-16 parts that you put into an unmodified AR-15 lower that will make it full auto. The lower has to be modified (I believe it's a hole for an additional pin). Remember, one of the ATF "rules" is that it cannot be easily modified to convert it to FA. If it were just a matter of swapping parts, it would not satisfy this condition and I'm sure the ATF would make sure those parts were not readily available.

20. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I thought the auto sear is the class 3 part that is NFA. The rest can be bought without the stamp.