M&P Shield owners - please look

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by High Altitude, Apr 15, 2012.

1. This is a picture of the feedramp on my M&P Shield. It has a ton of horizontal machine marks on it. On my other M&Ps the feedramp has been sanded/polished so the machine marks are gone and the feedramp is very smooth.

If I run my finger nail over the ramp I can easily feel the machine marks.

On your M&P shiled is your feedramp smooth, or does it have machine marks on it?

I haven't shot the pistol yet so I have no idea if it will affect the function, but my other M&Ps have very smooth ramps.

I did the best I could with the picture, but the feedramp is pretty shined up so the reflection makes it hard to take a pic of it. It is shiney, but the machine marks from cutting in the feedramp are all there.

The dark areas on the edge of the feedramp aren't really there, it is just an effect from taking the picture and the light. The complete feedramp is shiney.

[​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 High Altitude, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  2. SHoot it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. I am going to shoot it tomorrow.

I was just wondering what other M&P Shield owners are seeing on their pistols.

4. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Id say shoot it first and if you have any feeding issues send it back

:50cal:

5. I never worry about machine marks on polymer service pistols.

Just shoot it :cool:

6. I don't think it will have any problems with FMJ but hand feeding a wide mouth HP, such as a HST, and the bullet definitely hangs up. Of course hand feeding and actually shooting are two different things. I was just wondering what other owners are seeing.

7. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Sapere aude

angle grinder!!

8. I've read those lines on the feedramp are there to prevent the Shield from being as reliable as a Glock.

Just kidding. I second the notion that it is dremel time:)

#9 ithaca_deerslayer, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  9. Yes, they certainly are.

10. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock?
    Silver Member

Figure that S&W is in a hurry getting these things to production. I like feedramps to be nice and smooth personally. But if it shoots ... well who am I to judge?

:rofl:

11. Just shoot the damn thing. It's not a nice presentation grade pistol, it's a gun meant to stick in your pants and save your ass when you need it. It will get dirty, covered in grime and sweat, banged around on everything...who cares what it looks like? I doubt it will effect function. Go shoot it a lot and once it proves reliable carry it. Damn the looks!

12. Cole125

Silver Member

Correct. If you want you can polish the feed ramps. Google how to polish feed ramps for more info.

M&Ps are extremely mass produced pistols, not custom 1911s, there will be machine marks.

13. This and let us know how it does.

14. The feed ramp on mine looks smooth and polished, no machine marks at all.

Mine has seen 150 rounds so far, so I suppose there could have been light marks that were removed by repeated firing...but I doubt it if the marks on yours are deep enough to feel.

15. No such thing as absolute reliability. The gun with the smooth feedramp always will be more reliable than the gun with the coarse feedramp.

16. FLUFF & BUFF :rofl:

17. DreamWeaver88

DreamWeaver88 ...............

Dremel it with some Flitz. That's the first thing I do with all my pistols.

18. :rofl::rofl:

19. Before you dremel, how about you call S&W who will fix it for free and pay shipping back and fourth.