close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

M&P 9MM Pro Report.

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Club' started by Linux3, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Linux3

Linux3

Dec 31, 2008
    Picked up my new M&P 9MM Pro last Tuesday. About 2 hours before my weekly defensive pistol shoot. Stopped home for a quick take down and lube and off to the range. Yup, shooting it in competition with zero range time.

The Pro comes with a green fiber optic front sight and a blacked out rear. I have fiber front AND rear sights on a couple of my pistols and was not sure how I would like the Pro setup. Bottom line, it's real sweet. I like it better that the 3 dot. Maybe it's me and I spend too much time trying to line all the dots but with a single dot just get it in the middle of the rear and squeeze. And really, the kind of competitions I do it's all about the front sight and I think the Pro setup is less distracting.

The trigger is very nice and feels a lot lighter than the spec's say it is and I like the small click and feel when it resets. My double taps are more controlled and accurate.

The 3/4" longer barrel reduces muzzle flip for me but I have to pay a little more attention to getting the sights on target. Is a longer barrel a little slower to swing around?

Fit and finish, flawless.
    Action, smooth.

I didn't burn up the range but I did set one of my best ever times. And with a totally new pistol!

2. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

Sep 30, 2006
    Did the same thing with my Glock 21 two yrs back, no problems, which is as it should be.

The Pro is a very nice pistol, congrats, enjoy....

3. Jon_R

Jon_R

May 3, 2009
    Central Florida
    I am slowly getting some M&Ps. I have the .40 and .45 Full Size. I would like to add the 9mm Pro and 9mm compact. Enjoy your pistol. I would like to get my wife to try and the 9 compact. With the small grip I think it would make a good carry pistol for her.

Are you using it in IDPA, USPSA, or something else?

4. Linux3

Linux3

Dec 31, 2008
    All of the above and a couple of local groups too.
    I'm a member of IDPA and USPSA plus 3 local gun clubs.

Now that I have a Pro I was kind of thinking I would trade my 9MM full size for a compact but I have a 3913NL so I don't really need a compact and I really like my full size. You never know when a spare would be handy.

Maybe I'll just buy a compact.

M&P 9 Pro
    M&P 9 Full Size
    Model 3913 NL
    Model 64

Oh, and 3 Kahrs and 2 Rugers.
    Hardly seems to be enough.

5. Jon_R

Jon_R

May 3, 2009
    Central Florida
    It is not. What you waiting for. :)

Have fun. It should make a great production pistol and work well in SSP. You might want to mix your carry pistol into IDPA some but up to you. I assume you are not Concealed Carrying the Pro. :tongueout:

6. Linux3

Linux3

Dec 31, 2008
    No the Pro is a little big.
    My most common CC is a Kahr TP9 which I have shot in IDPA but the 8 round vs. 10 round mag issue is a problem. But that's another forum.

My Tuesday night CC shoot I use the M&P, Kahr TP9 and mix it up with my Model 64. For me I don't have speed loaders, I convenience loaders.
    I love shooting the 64 but my time really suffers. lol.