close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

M&P .40c FRAME CRACKED!! BRAND NEW GUN

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by DaBurna, Aug 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. DaBurna

DaBurna

Jun 8, 2008
    Bama Boy
    Got up this morning to inspect my pistol again from yesterday's shooting... The range session went 100%... Unfortunately, I have a crack on the frame right next to the take down lever that. Obviously I'm NOT happy about this b/c my gun only went 100 rounds before having this issue. I feel pretty confident that Smith will make it right, but it's the principle of the matter. Hold on to your G27's yet Fellas!! I've never been a fan of roll pins to start with..

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Holy crap...

Well, look at it this way: Better to find it after the range session than to find it in the middle of one after digging your slide out of your arm or forehead.

3. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    wow, that's terrible.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  4. DaBurna

DaBurna

Jun 8, 2008
    Bama Boy
    I felt it wanted to bind up yesterday under reccoil with some 165gr Blazer Brass... But I didn't really think about the frame cracking until I inspected it again this morning. It still never failed to fire. I think the recoil was causing a "hitch" where that crack was in respect to the front rails the slide rides on. You could feel it draaaag slightly during recoil. This happened about the 75 round mark for like 10 rounds then it fired again normally.

I just got off the phone with a service rep and they're mailing me a shipping label. In the meanwhile, I found a link to submit a repair request online. Hopefully I'll get my label mailed electronically today. Hopefully they'll just sent me a new frame and recoil assembly. The spring was binding up on the barrel lip (probably as a result of being misaligned during the frame crack).

The gun was test fired 7/28/12 :crying:

Well never had this problem with my G27... Maybe she put the HEX on my M&P!! :supergrin::rofl:

5. 2-tap

2-tap

Jul 18, 2012
    These things happen. I had a fnh fnx 9mm brand new shot 60 rounds through it and it started shooting way right so i put it down. When i got home i discovered the takedown pin was broke. It got fixed no questions asked. When these companies put out as many guns as they do your going to get some flaws now and then. I understand your upset, i was too but dont bash s&w bc you got a lemon. Glocks have them too! I bought my wife a m&p 9c and we have put about 1000 rounds through it without any malfunctions not even btf!!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

6. DaBurna

DaBurna

Jun 8, 2008
    Bama Boy
    Yeah... Not gonna bash EM... YET..:supergrin:

I can say this is the 1st .40cal I've owned which is F-U-N to shoot!! I love the gun. Hopefully it goes off for service and returns with a free mag or so!:supergrin:

I'm just THANKFUL this isn't my only denfense option... I feel sorry for those who have their SOLE weapon break!:crying::shocked:

7. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Anyone can make a lemon. It's A) how often it happens, and B) how they make it right that counts.

8. SigFTW

SigFTW

Nov 4, 2010
    TX
    That's got to be frustrating with a new gun. I'm sure S&W will take care of you. Let us know what they say.

If S&W wont help you can always call Dixie Tupperware for help :tongueout:
    [​IMG]

9. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    If the serial# is part of the component that broke, you are going to eat an FFL fee unless you get SW to pay for that. They wouldn't pay for my FFL fee when my 442 wore out, but the gun was at least a few years old at that point. SW would not put the same serial# on the new gun, at least not with a wheel gun.

10. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Are you 100% sure that is a crack? Looking & my M&P9c, I have a similar type of line which seems to be from the moulding process. Can you see it on the inside of the frame? Can you flex the frame and see if the "crack" is through and through?

11. DaBurna

DaBurna

Jun 8, 2008
    Bama Boy
    I've looked at that... My M&P Shield doesn't have this issue (granted the 9mm<.40cal pressure wise)

Also the crack is starting to extend BELOW the pinhole as well into the frame. Maybe the rails under recoil torqued this lose causing a crack....

12. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    Uh, the M&P frame appears widened and offset on the left side at that spot by design, and the coil pin is supposed to protrude just enough out the left side to match the offset surface of the frame, in front of the coil pin, so the pin can act as a "stop" for the takedown lever when it's rotated (to help prevent cosmetic damage to the frame material).

This "frame crack" observation has been made (by mistake) since the first promo pictures were released back in '06, BTW.

And yes, the Shield is a little different.

Picture of the 40c from company website: (use the Zoom to see that spot)
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57955_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Check out the pictures of different M&P's in the Product Spec sheets:
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...4_750001_750051_779154_-1_757816_757964_image

Do some searching for M&P pictures and enlarge some of the pics:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=M&P...1I4H7igKhxoGYCA&ved=0CDsQsAQ&biw=1680&bih=904

You might give your new pistol a complete visual inspection first thing next time and save yourself some excitement. ;)

13. GAFinch

GAFinch

Feb 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Yeah, I agree. I can't see an actual crack in the pictures either.

14. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    I have 3 M&P pistols - A full size 40, compact 9MM & 40.

All three have the same look as the OP picture - none of them are cracked.

If you stress the frame does the crack get larger?

EDIT: After looking closer - the third picture does look like a crack.

15. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    Since they're sending you a pre-paid shipping label, return the gun for inspection under warranty. If your frame has developed an actual crack where the frame has the widened step, let them handle it for you under their excellent lifetime warranty.

If they confirm you're only seeing the normal frame design, and misinterpreting what you think you see (because you didn't notice it when first looking at that spot on the frame, and naturally aren't familiar with the reason for the slight design change/contour on the left side), they can ease your mind.

16. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    BTW, the right side of the frame at that point doesn't have to be flat and offset more inward because there isn't a takedown lever on the right side (to rotate against the frame). It's just on the left side where a takedown lever has to have clearance (flat surface) for rotation.

17. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  18. Leigh

Leigh

May 22, 2000
    Eastern Kentucky
    ...and concealed carry would have prevented this.

Seriously, glad there were no injuries and from what I've heard from a few shooting friends recently, S&W's customer service is as good as it has ever been.